Cleaning up old video

Support for my VirtualDub filters
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Cleaning up old video

Post by Oblioman »

Not sure if me found the right place,,but have me a dilemna. We have been transferring 8mm and Super 8 film to digital and doing it the old fashioned way. Shooting on a white screen and capturing with Canon HFS20. The projector we were using worked great (variable speed) and the results were better than me expected with zero film flicker (edited in premiere). Well, to make a long story short, me good variable speed projector went south so me had to turn to the backup projector - non-variable speed. So the results have the old film flicker. After a bit of research,,,me read that VirtualDub or a filter for VD will work to remove the flicker. Just wondering if anybody has some insight on this matter. Thank You!
admin

Re: Cleaning up old video

Post by admin »

This kind of question should always be accompanied by an unprocessed source sample. Are you able to provide one for inspection?
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

me camera saves the files as .MTS (Canon Vixia HF S20) which apparently Virtual Dub does not natively support (me thinks). In order to supply a sample should one convert to .avi?
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

me did save a 10 second clip as a .avi but it's about 38 meg,,not sure how to upload it. Okay,,file attached.
admin

Post by admin »

Don't convert it to AVI. Use DGSplit to cut a piece of the .MTS file. Then upload that to mediafire.com and post the link here.
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

DG Split,,,nifty little tool,,never knew it existed!! Thanks. Files have been posted
http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php#0,1
Underground78

Post by Underground78 »

Oblioman wrote:DG Split,,,nifty little tool,,never knew it existed!! Thanks. Files have been posted
http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php#0,1
Hi,

This link will not work, you need to click on the "Share" button to get the real link to use. ;)
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

Me bad,,see if this works,,, http://www.mediafire.com/?cayaiea3tb1jqsx
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

found the deflicker filter and it be exactly what we have been looking for. here's the problem,,running 64bit version of VirtualDub (nice program) and when me tries to import the filter - Deflick.vdf this error pops up - Cannot load plugin module "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\virtualdub\Deflick.vdf": %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Would it be that the filter is only for 32 bit versions of Vdub???
admin

Post by admin »

That's right. It's a 32-bit filter. The source code is there so you can recompile it for 64-bit.
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

Got it up and running in 32 bit mode,,the filter is recognized and applied to me video,,,but it doesn't seem to change things much. Guess we'll have to tinker with it a bit. me sure appreciates all the help!! Thank you me good gent's.
admin

Post by admin »

I'll have a look at your stream when I get home this evening.
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

Okay,,,recompiling,,,whole new area for this kid!!! Me be a dummy when it comes to coding,,,any of you good gents know of a quick and simplton free recompiler? :mrgreen: And again,,thanks for all the help!
admin

Post by admin »

I had a look at your clip and I don't think my filter (or similar ones) will help very much. The reason is that the "flicker" is actually a dark band that scrolls up the frame. So, in fact the average luminosity of the frame remains the same but is distributed differently across the frames. You'll need to find a fix for that specific issue. This search may help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fixing+r ... tartPage=1
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

Actually using VirtualDub, applied the deflicker filter and motion blur filters cleaned it up rather nice. The video is for an elderly lady and has a hard time watching the screen with the rolling (basically out of sync shutter speed) video. The two filters completely removed the flicker, or roll, and now me just needs to sharp things up a bit and should be good to go. BTW - VirtualDub rocks!!! Thanks again for all the help.

Does anybody have a recommendation on recompiling the 32 bit deflicker to 64 bit? That be a bit out of me league.
admin

Post by admin »

It's likely the temporal smoothing that is doing the trick. Try the built-in temporal smoother in VirtualDub.
Oblioman wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation on recompiling the 32 bit deflicker to 64 bit? That be a bit out of me league.
I'll have a quick go at it tonight.
DAE avatar
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Hey you...

you try to re-process old analog material?

Check this one: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144271

It should help you out.
DAE avatar
Oblioman

Post by Oblioman »

Wow - tremendous work hagbard,,me hat be tipped to you. One can see that you have put a tremendous amount of time into your finished product,,,makes me rank amateur status confirmed. Thanks for sharing. Any idea what happened to the good gent that ran or updated the Doom9 site? Been visiting him for years but noting has been updated for quite some time.
DAE avatar
duke444

Post by duke444 »

Hi, was wondering if i could get some help with a deinterlacing issue i have with sony vegas pro 10. have uploaded a small clip and this is the result after rendering to MPEG 2 DVD NTSC format. the whole file is not like this but most is. i have tried virtual dub with smart deinterlace filter but same out put. any help would be grateful. thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6k7ubpmh6nw19ff
admin

Post by admin »

@duke444

Showing us the rendered file is useless. Post a link to an unprocessed source sample.
DAE avatar
duke444

Post by duke444 »

sorry bout that.
oswald shot.
http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php
admin

Post by admin »

That link doesn't take me to any file.
DAE avatar
duke444

Post by duke444 »

just tried it myself, seems to work.
admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, but "myfiles" may be your files, but they are not *my* files. If you want help, give me a working link.