DGBob()

Support for all my other tools
DAE avatar
TCmullet

DGBob()

Post by TCmullet »

I've never used bob filters OTHER than DGBob(). I've started studying some bob-ers and seeing all the options they have, which they may or may not have had in the early days, I am wondering what the reason was for creating DGBob in the first place. That is, how were the others failing.

Also, I've been using the defaults always. That includes the default of 12 for "thresh". I read up on it again and thought I'd try lowering it. I can lower it to 1 and still see no "flickering". Can you point me to a sample video that clearly shows flicker in it? I want to figure out why I'm not seeing any with thresh=1. FWIW, the source is a H.264 TS file of VHS-EP video tape. Pretty gaudy, but I have to salvage it.
Rocky

DGBob()

Post by Rocky »

The DGBob() filter with a thresh parameter is ancient. It is from 2003! I strongly suggest that you move to a later bobbing filter. I have DGBob() and PVBob() integrated into DGSource() for example.

Nevertheless, talking about old DGBob()...

Back then basic filters were just starting to appear generally. The standard wasn't high at the beginning. I just had fun making a decent bobber. I don't remember comparing it to others at the time. The basic idea was to interpolate only 'moving' areas of a frame, with 'moving' being determined by the thresh parameter.

Of course it is possible your video is not really interlaced. If you are sure that it is and you find thresh making no difference, then please provide a short unprocessed source sample. But honestly, I wouldn't bother as there are much better bobbers available nowadays, spanning the whole performance/quality tradeoff.
Rocky

DGBob()

Post by Rocky »

Looks like a hit and run. Marking resolved.