Standalone QuickSync deinterlacer

This is the home of QuickSync (aka Intel Media SDK) stuff.
admin

Re: Standalone QuickSync deinterlacer

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote:outsource to countries where professional ethics are almost non-existent ?
Go to the IMSDK support forum and look at the names of the people who reply from Intel. I worked as a software development manager for many years, and I can tell you, outsourcing to 3rd-world countries may look good to the bean-counters, but after you throw out the crappy code they produce and redo it yourself, you end up increasing costs when you hoped to reduce them. And that does not even factor in the 12-hour time shift that makes communication a nightmare, or the language barriers.

The current Intel VPP sample does not even compile with the latest SDK. It's a frigging joke. The same tired excuse is always given: the sample code is intended as a starting point, not production quality. What kind of starting point is code that doesn't compile, or which (after fixing the compilation errors) runs on one OS but not another? You could get away with that crap if there was a viable support option, but the support sucks even worse than the code itself.

OK, you got me going. I lived in India for 4 years. I know the culture is to tolerate crappiness in all things. So I am not surprised that the same attitude attaches to software development there. I know it from personal experience, having led a "development team" in Bangalore on deputation from a major US corporation.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

:!:
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Enjoy the taste of Globalization, guys!
admin

Post by admin »

Oh darn, you replied before I edited that yucky stuff out. It's OK.

BTW, I was able to build the Intel sample and DGBobIM without using D3D9 or D3D11, getting around the earlier mentioned errors. Both work just fine on Win8.1 but fail miserably on Win10. That's right, even if you can get the sample to build and run on Win10, it fails to run correctly. The postprocessing simply does not perform correctly. That's it. I officially end all IMSDK development. I will support DGDecIM as long as it continues to function. If Intel breaks it with some future driver/MSDK then I'll bury it too.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:I worked as a software development manager for many years
he he, so did I for a while; not big time but enough for fun.
admin wrote:factor in the 12-hour time shift that makes communication a nightmare, or the language barriers.
I work in a framework along those lines in a related role. Very fortunately for me, le bon personnel are first class even with cultural differences at play (eg they make interesting if different minor assumptions around business rule operations than Aussies may).

All in all, many sympathies ... in your old role, I can vouch that when it's hitting the fan then you really do have to find ways and means :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftm1hiXgYsA&t=64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftm1hiXgYsA&t=117
8-)
I really do like it here.