CUDA Suggestions and Talk

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
admin
Site Admin

Re: CUDA Suggestions and Talk

Post by admin » Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Theoretically yes for functionality, but it will be slower.

hydra3333
Distinguished Aussie Member

Post by hydra3333 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:10 pm

admin wrote:My two cents on Sharc's comparison: For sure, QTGMC is the best. I don't see it doing especially better with detail retention, but rather better at avoiding artifacts in motion blur. Whether you can see anything significantly better when played at normal speed is debatable, and whether the improvement is worth the large performance penalty is a matter for users to weigh. It's clear that TDeint is much worse both in artifacts and aliasing.

I can make a script with DGSource(deinterlace=2) and even add NLM denoising for UHD video and get 80 fps at 13% CPU, leaving gobs of CPU for encoding, or allowing for real-time playback of 24/25 fps source. Can one do that with QTGMC/KNLMeansCL?
No, one can't, by a country mile. That is significantly better than 1-5 fps (end to end).

Per the strong default settings (for me) in DGDenoise viewtopic.php?f=14&t=506&p=6281#p6281 I reckon I'm in a position to fiddle up a new set of scripts without QTGMC to process much loved 576i/1080i footy games. eg something like a simple

Code: Select all

DGsource(deinterlace=2) 
use some old deblocker (yes, still sourcing an example for DG)
DGdenoise(strength=0.03) # stronger, 0.06 for other than footy clips
DGsharpen(strength=0.3) # to be played with for a generic setting suitable for those clips
reinterlace
Did you have some fancier script in mind ?

Thanks !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 pm

It's hard to say without seeing a sample of your source. Generally speaking, I prefer a light hand in the processing department. Why don't you post up a sample for us?

Sharc
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by Sharc » Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 am

hydra3333 wrote:
admin wrote:My two cents on Sharc's comparison: For sure, QTGMC is the best. I don't see it doing especially better with detail retention, but rather better at avoiding artifacts in motion blur. Whether you can see anything significantly better when played at normal speed is debatable, and whether the improvement is worth the large performance penalty is a matter for users to weigh. It's clear that TDeint is much worse both in artifacts and aliasing.

I can make a script with DGSource(deinterlace=2) and even add NLM denoising for UHD video and get 80 fps at 13% CPU, leaving gobs of CPU for encoding, or allowing for real-time playback of 24/25 fps source. Can one do that with QTGMC/KNLMeansCL?
No, one can't, by a country mile. That is significantly better than 1-5 fps (end to end).
Well yes, there exists no CUDA/GPU based QTGMC yet ..... and the "better" will always be the enemy of the "very good" ;)
Speed matters to me mainly for testing or for playing scripts in real-time. Encoding jobs can run overnight.

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:18 pm

To bring back the requests made by Hydra333 and myself into the light
DGDeblock
DGResizer
DGencNV

Please understand that I am not trying to push these requests, these are when you have time and if you are in the mood.
Your paper is first
Just digging them out from the comparison posts
Your dedication and loyalty to the DGTools users is appreciated :bow:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 am

Still waiting for the materials I requested (sample clips and existing deblocking methods used successfully) to get started on DGDeblock. Did they get posted and I missed it?

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 pm

admin wrote:Still waiting for the materials I requested (sample clips and existing deblocking methods used successfully) to get started on DGDeblock. Did they get posted and I missed it?
As far as I know Hydra333 did not post them.
Maybe this will serve as a reminder to him

hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 am

dg didn't miss anything. it would server as a reminder.
hydra3333 is terribly lazy and hasn't posted any useful sample, although it seems possible it may happen in the next 2 weeks or so (job permitting, i.e. if not busy looking for a new one) :|

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am

Take your time, hydra3333. I'm busy too on another project for several weeks. I hope your employment situation resolves in a beneficial way for you.