DGDenoise

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: About DGDenoise

Post by Sharc »

Is the YV12 a CUDA/Nvidia restriction? I am asking because I try to avoid colorspace conversion to YV12 because of the Chroma upsampling and Chroma Interlace Problem.
admin

Post by admin »

What color space are you interested in support for? Typical script?

These filters are designed to be used with DGSource() so obviously I implemented only YV12. That could change, however.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

My tape captures are normally YUV or YUY2, 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. Hmm, now I think to remember that lossless 4:2:2 is not supported by Nvidia .....

Script like:
AviSource(xxxx.avi) #typically interlaced YUY2 4:2:2
bob() #optional
Crop(....)
Resize(....) #optional
addborders(...) #optional
ConverttoYV12() #for DGfilters
DGDenoise().DGSharpen()
separatefields().selectevery(4,0,3).weave() #optional re-interlace - when bobbed before

Then encode with x264 interlaced

Edit:
I am aware that x264 will convert to YV12 anyway, however I thought it would be better - if possible - to keep YUY2 for all the editing and filtering until the last step.
admin

Post by admin »

If your source is interlaced then you have to tell all the following filters for proper handling. So telling DGDenoise() the same via either ConvertToYV12() or directly if I added a parameter would be necessary.

And I would of course have to convert internally if I were to support YUY2 input, and that's why I would need a parameter to tell if the source is interlaced.

So I don't really follow your thinking. You can't get away from telling filters if the source is interlaced/progressive, unless of course you rely on the defaults. But in that case won't ConvertToYV12 default too?

Finally, you have to deinterlace first anyway unless you want trash as output.

Please help me to understand what you ask for here and why, in light of the above. I don't always grok things straightaway.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I thought leaving the YUY2 4:2:2 colorspace untouched would a priori eliminate certain chroma problems. For example YV12 interlaced needs to be cropped mod4 vertically, whereas YUY2 would accept mod2 cropping without chroma damage, if I am not mistaken.
Maybe it's just a fart as I have to deinterlace or separate the fields anyway for applying most of the filters, and putting converttoYV12(interlaced=true) early in the script is the way to go.
admin

Post by admin »

Sharc wrote:I have to deinterlace or separate the fields anyway for applying most of the filters, and putting converttoYV12(interlaced=true) early in the script is the way to go.
Yes, Sharc, I agree. Let's keep things as is for now. You're right that 4:2:2 support would be useful and I'd certainly want to support it when CUVID does. People are hopeful for nVidia Video SDK 8.0, but it is still awaited. On the other hand, it is only a limitation of CUVID decoding. I could make CUDA 4:2:2 filters. Let's see what nVidia Video SDK 8.0 brings us.
admin

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote: This wasn't me (it hung on the shack wall for 30 years) but it may as well have been https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RV2 ... WhpcjZnY3M
Oh why not, a relative of mine is in this one https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RV2 ... HRZYWtFbDQ
The spirit of adventure and discovery shines. So blessed you are to know such people. I wish they were forum members. :)
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

This might be a dumb question, but since you're working on adding new filters, are there any prospects for replicating the functionality of Decomb this way? That's my most-used filter, and getting a CUDA speedup for it would be welcome. I'm not sure how closely related this would be to your recent work on DGBobIM or whether CUDA is even appropriate for this purpose... :?
admin

Post by admin »

Great idea, Aleron! Sure, we could speed up field matching and decimation. Why didn't I think of these obvious things? :scratch: Thank you for the valuable suggestion.

DGBobIM was mostly a proof-of-concept for how screwed up the IMSDK API is. Not exciting to work on that stuff.

BTW, Aussies swim real good. We may have to keep an eye on them.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Aleron Ives wrote:This might be a dumb question, but since you're working on adding new filters, are there any prospects for replicating the functionality of Decomb this way? That's my most-used filter, and getting a CUDA speedup for it would be welcome. I'm not sure how closely related this would be to your recent work on DGBobIM or whether CUDA is even appropriate for this purpose... :?
+1 for implementing Decomb (especially the FieldMatching/IVTC functionality of telecide() )

P.S.
I also like the show= and debug= options of FieldDeinterlace(), however speed is not critical for visual analysis.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

+1 as well
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Thank you, the new gpu based filters work nice.

OK, I did a test or two displaying an interleaved (source,result1,result2) clip in vsedit.
Reasonably clean, if blocky, 15Mb Source: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RV2 ... Hk1UlA5c2c
Card: 750Ti, CPU: i3820 (due for replacement next year; likely a cheapie ryzen 1800X and 1050Ti, not a 1070 though given touted v2's of 1060 and 1080)

Confirming per some other posts eg viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=170#p6074 that the default setting (strength=0.15) for DGDenoise seem to yield a more"softened" visual result compared to KNLMeansCL at defaults (d=1 temporal) at least on my test source. So, easy, use .06 or something.

Sometimes a really old movie can be a bit of a shocker with grain and whatnot and the best thing I've found to date has been the old MDegrain1/2/3 eg
video=MDegrain3i2(video,blksize=8,overlap=4,dct=0)
which I suppose does OK due to temporal processing ?
I haven't such a source to hand to try, so what would be your thoughts re DGDenoise / KNLMeansCL(d=3) / MDegrain for those types of sources ?

I see with interest you considered the possibility of temporal option viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=210#p6137 and then some hesitation viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=220#p6153 and then a possible position of sticking with spatial viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=260#p6253
... I'm hoping the DG density matrix is flagging that gpu temporal denoising still has a significant possibility of a state of existance :) ... no plans for temporal ?
(google gives the words but unfortunately not the intellect to comprehend it).

Just came across the tips from this crowd, although I don't really know what their credentials are
http://www.cineticstudios.com/blog/2015 ... ction.html

vapoursynth x64 shouldn't make any difference, eg

Code: Select all

import vapoursynth as vs 
##import havsfunc as haf # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166582 
import havsfuncTS as haf # this version uses vanilla TemporalSoften instead of TemporalSoften2, as it will be "better" over time 
import mvsfunc as mvs  # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172564 
import finesharp as finesharp # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1777815#post1777815 http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FineSharp 
core = vs.get_core(accept_lowercase=True) # leave off threads=8 so it auto-detects threads 
# the r'' indicates do not treat special characters and accept backslashes 
core.std.LoadPlugin(r'C:\SOFTWARE\Vapoursynth-x64\vapoursynth64\plugins\dll-to-choose-from\KNLMeansCL.dll') # the r'' indicates do not treat special characters and accept backslashes 
# LOAD 64 bit AVISYNTH  plugins  into the avs namespace 
core.avs.LoadPlugin(r'C:\SOFTWARE\Vapoursynth-x64\DGIndex\DGDecodeNV.dll')  
def main(): 
    video = core.avs.DGSource(r'.\z.dgi',deinterlace=1,resize_w=720,resize_h=576) # deinterlace=1 means single rate deinterlacing 
    videooriginal = video 
    video1 = core.knlm.KNLMeansCL(video, device_type="gpu", d=1, a=2) 
    video2 = core.avs.DGDenoise(video,strength=0.06)
    #video = core.avs.DGSharpen(video,strength=0.40) # 
    video = core.std.Interleave([core.text.Text(videooriginal, 'Source clip'), core.text.Text(video1, 'LNKMeansCL clip'), core.text.Text(video2, 'DGDenoise clip')])
    video.set_output() 
    return True 
main() 
[/size]
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote:Sometimes a really old movie can be a bit of a shocker with grain and whatnot and the best thing I've found to date has been the old MDegrain1/2/3 eg
video=MDegrain3i2(video,blksize=8,overlap=4,dct=0)
which I suppose does OK due to temporal processing ?
I haven't such a source to hand to try, so what would be your thoughts re DGDenoise / KNLMeansCL(d=3) / MDegrain for those types of sources ?
It's not worth speculating about it in the absence of a clip. When you have one to share I would be happy to discuss comparative results.
I see with interest you considered the possibility of temporal option viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=210#p6137 and then some hesitation viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=220#p6153 and then a possible position of sticking with spatial viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=260#p6253
... I'm hoping the DG density matrix is flagging that gpu temporal denoising still has a significant possibility of a state of existance :) ... no plans for temporal ?
I've asked several times for a clip that clearly shows the benefits of temporal processing, either alone or in conjunction with spatial processing. Do you have one? That is what I would need to find the motivation to do something temporally. Meanwhile, there is always TemporalSoften(). My personal perspective (which can be altered by evidence) is that ghosting is anathema that I would avoid like the plague in the absence of palpable overriding considerations. Yeah, yeah, scene change detection. But not every frame is a scene change while it can still be full of motion, and hence ghosting. Please refute my view with some evidence, i.e., a clip.

If you want to consider motion compensation to combat ghosting, that's perfectly valid. But that has to wait for my CUDA motion estimation stuff.

DG density matrix. That's clever. Not everyone will grok it, though, especially with negative off-diagonal terms.
Just came across the tips from this crowd, although I don't really know what their credentials are
http://www.cineticstudios.com/blog/2015 ... ction.html
It's just warmed-over wives' tales, aka, conventional "wisdom", justifying some commercial product recommendations. I can't take seriously an article that provides a tip on noise reduction that advises to add noise. :facepalm:

Monty Python video enhancement algorithm:

1. Remove noise.
2. Add noise.

That tip is there only to push some commercial tools. The tip to prefer temporal processing is also just a push for a commercial denoiser. They conveniently neglect to mention ghosting. And it's strange that not a single image is given to support anything they say.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: DGDenoise

Post by Sharc »

I am getting ugly artefacts (broad diagonal color stripes) with chroma=true in DGDenoise.
My source is interlaced video. I separate the fields before applying the filter. Unless I am missing something you should be able to duplicate the issue with any source clip.
admin

Post by admin »

Yikes! I'll get on it this morning. Thanks for the report.
admin

Post by admin »

All fixed. Thanks for reporting it.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Confirmed. It's working.
admin

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks again Sharc.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Does DGDenoiseNV handle what is on this sample, film grain or mosquito noise, I believe?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1djsss779 ... sample.mkv

If not, can you recommend a x64 filter?
admin

Post by admin »

Something is broken. Investigating...
admin

Post by admin »

Oy, that last slipstream was brain-dead. :oops:

OK, I fixed the DGDenoise problem. Now I have one little issue in DGTelecide. Fixes coming soon...

Thanks for pointing this out, gonca.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for creating the filters
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Of course, it would be better if they worked properly. ;)

I just slipstreamed the fix. Heading over to the binaries thread to announce it.
admin

Post by admin »

This works pretty good on your sample, gonca:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
dgdenoise(strength=2.0,searchw=9,chroma=true)
dgsharpen()

That's industrial strength. Reduce strength and/or searchw, or turn off chroma, if you like.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I have read the documentation but would you recommend searchw=9 or chroma+true over the defaults in general terms?