DGDenoise

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar

Re: About DGDenoise

Post by Guest »

+1 as well
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Thank you, the new gpu based filters work nice.

OK, I did a test or two displaying an interleaved (source,result1,result2) clip in vsedit.
Reasonably clean, if blocky, 15Mb Source: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RV2 ... Hk1UlA5c2c
Card: 750Ti, CPU: i3820 (due for replacement next year; likely a cheapie ryzen 1800X and 1050Ti, not a 1070 though given touted v2's of 1060 and 1080)

Confirming per some other posts eg viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=170#p6074 that the default setting (strength=0.15) for DGDenoise seem to yield a more"softened" visual result compared to KNLMeansCL at defaults (d=1 temporal) at least on my test source. So, easy, use .06 or something.

Sometimes a really old movie can be a bit of a shocker with grain and whatnot and the best thing I've found to date has been the old MDegrain1/2/3 eg
video=MDegrain3i2(video,blksize=8,overlap=4,dct=0)
which I suppose does OK due to temporal processing ?
I haven't such a source to hand to try, so what would be your thoughts re DGDenoise / KNLMeansCL(d=3) / MDegrain for those types of sources ?

I see with interest you considered the possibility of temporal option viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=210#p6137 and then some hesitation viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=220#p6153 and then a possible position of sticking with spatial viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=260#p6253
... I'm hoping the DG density matrix is flagging that gpu temporal denoising still has a significant possibility of a state of existance :) ... no plans for temporal ?
(google gives the words but unfortunately not the intellect to comprehend it).

Just came across the tips from this crowd, although I don't really know what their credentials are
http://www.cineticstudios.com/blog/2015 ... ction.html

vapoursynth x64 shouldn't make any difference, eg

Code: Select all

import vapoursynth as vs 
##import havsfunc as haf # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166582 
import havsfuncTS as haf # this version uses vanilla TemporalSoften instead of TemporalSoften2, as it will be "better" over time 
import mvsfunc as mvs  # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172564 
import finesharp as finesharp # http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1777815#post1777815 http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FineSharp 
core = vs.get_core(accept_lowercase=True) # leave off threads=8 so it auto-detects threads 
# the r'' indicates do not treat special characters and accept backslashes 
core.std.LoadPlugin(r'C:\SOFTWARE\Vapoursynth-x64\vapoursynth64\plugins\dll-to-choose-from\KNLMeansCL.dll') # the r'' indicates do not treat special characters and accept backslashes 
# LOAD 64 bit AVISYNTH  plugins  into the avs namespace 
core.avs.LoadPlugin(r'C:\SOFTWARE\Vapoursynth-x64\DGIndex\DGDecodeNV.dll')  
def main(): 
    video = core.avs.DGSource(r'.\z.dgi',deinterlace=1,resize_w=720,resize_h=576) # deinterlace=1 means single rate deinterlacing 
    videooriginal = video 
    video1 = core.knlm.KNLMeansCL(video, device_type="gpu", d=1, a=2) 
    video2 = core.avs.DGDenoise(video,strength=0.06)
    #video = core.avs.DGSharpen(video,strength=0.40) # 
    video = core.std.Interleave([core.text.Text(videooriginal, 'Source clip'), core.text.Text(video1, 'LNKMeansCL clip'), core.text.Text(video2, 'DGDenoise clip')])
    video.set_output() 
    return True 
main() 
[/size]
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote:Sometimes a really old movie can be a bit of a shocker with grain and whatnot and the best thing I've found to date has been the old MDegrain1/2/3 eg
video=MDegrain3i2(video,blksize=8,overlap=4,dct=0)
which I suppose does OK due to temporal processing ?
I haven't such a source to hand to try, so what would be your thoughts re DGDenoise / KNLMeansCL(d=3) / MDegrain for those types of sources ?
It's not worth speculating about it in the absence of a clip. When you have one to share I would be happy to discuss comparative results.
I see with interest you considered the possibility of temporal option viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=210#p6137 and then some hesitation viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=220#p6153 and then a possible position of sticking with spatial viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&start=260#p6253
... I'm hoping the DG density matrix is flagging that gpu temporal denoising still has a significant possibility of a state of existance :) ... no plans for temporal ?
I've asked several times for a clip that clearly shows the benefits of temporal processing, either alone or in conjunction with spatial processing. Do you have one? That is what I would need to find the motivation to do something temporally. Meanwhile, there is always TemporalSoften(). My personal perspective (which can be altered by evidence) is that ghosting is anathema that I would avoid like the plague in the absence of palpable overriding considerations. Yeah, yeah, scene change detection. But not every frame is a scene change while it can still be full of motion, and hence ghosting. Please refute my view with some evidence, i.e., a clip.

If you want to consider motion compensation to combat ghosting, that's perfectly valid. But that has to wait for my CUDA motion estimation stuff.

DG density matrix. That's clever. Not everyone will grok it, though, especially with negative off-diagonal terms.
Just came across the tips from this crowd, although I don't really know what their credentials are
http://www.cineticstudios.com/blog/2015 ... ction.html
It's just warmed-over wives' tales, aka, conventional "wisdom", justifying some commercial product recommendations. I can't take seriously an article that provides a tip on noise reduction that advises to add noise. :facepalm:

Monty Python video enhancement algorithm:

1. Remove noise.
2. Add noise.

That tip is there only to push some commercial tools. The tip to prefer temporal processing is also just a push for a commercial denoiser. They conveniently neglect to mention ghosting. And it's strange that not a single image is given to support anything they say.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: DGDenoise

Post by Sharc »

I am getting ugly artefacts (broad diagonal color stripes) with chroma=true in DGDenoise.
My source is interlaced video. I separate the fields before applying the filter. Unless I am missing something you should be able to duplicate the issue with any source clip.
admin

Post by admin »

Yikes! I'll get on it this morning. Thanks for the report.
admin

Post by admin »

All fixed. Thanks for reporting it.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Confirmed. It's working.
admin

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks again Sharc.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Does DGDenoiseNV handle what is on this sample, film grain or mosquito noise, I believe?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1djsss779 ... sample.mkv

If not, can you recommend a x64 filter?
admin

Post by admin »

Something is broken. Investigating...
admin

Post by admin »

Oy, that last slipstream was brain-dead. :oops:

OK, I fixed the DGDenoise problem. Now I have one little issue in DGTelecide. Fixes coming soon...

Thanks for pointing this out, gonca.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for creating the filters
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Of course, it would be better if they worked properly. ;)

I just slipstreamed the fix. Heading over to the binaries thread to announce it.
admin

Post by admin »

This works pretty good on your sample, gonca:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
dgdenoise(strength=2.0,searchw=9,chroma=true)
dgsharpen()

That's industrial strength. Reduce strength and/or searchw, or turn off chroma, if you like.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I have read the documentation but would you recommend searchw=9 or chroma+true over the defaults in general terms?
admin

Post by admin »

Generally, it's a tradeoff of speed against thoroughness (aka, "quality").

Take chroma. Make this script:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
UtoY() # visualize the chroma U plane

and compare it to this:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
grayscale() # visualize the luma plane

You will see that there is lots of noise in the luma but only a relatively small amount in the chroma. That's pretty typical. So adding chroma=true will slow things down while not doing much for the perceived result.

Regarding searchw. The bigger it is the better the smoothing but you lose some detail and it takes longer.

I usually just go with searchw=5 and chroma=false and then set the strength as desired. I don't work with very noisy sources like your sample, however. The knobs are there for you to tweak for noisier sources.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the explanation and information.
I normally don't work with sources that noisy but I do have some older movies hat seem to be from the era of "Movie Grain is King"
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Running an encode and it looks like its all working as it should
admin

Post by admin »

Sweet, thanks for the report and testing. I tested this version pretty well too.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:Generally, it's a tradeoff of speed against thoroughness (aka, "quality").

Take chroma. Make this script:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
UtoY() # visualize the chroma U plane

and compare it to this:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
grayscale() # visualize the luma plane
Why is the chroma U plane view shown at half frame width? Is it because of the YV12 4.2.0 colorspace?
admin

Post by admin »

It's also half height. Yes, it is that way because there is one U sample (and one V sample) for each block of 4 luma samples.

Y Y
Y Y
U
V
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Ah, the penny dropped why I got the horizontal reduction only. My source was actually 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0.
Thanks.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

A cosmetic issue with DGDenoise:

When I set strength=0.0 I am getting an almost black picture for chroma=false, and a green picture for chroma=true.
Well, one should not set strength to zero, right? :roll:
admin

Post by admin »

Right. I'll add a check for that. Thanks for pointing it out.
DAE avatar
mparade

Post by mparade »

Hello,

Sorry for asking that, but how can one access CUDA Filters packaged into DGDecodeNV?

I have been using DGDecNV for a few years and now opted for giving a try to DGDenoise to speed up my scripts feeded into x265.

Thank you in advance for the support.