DGDenoise

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
admin

Re: DGDenoise

Post by admin »

Oy, that last slipstream was brain-dead. :oops:

OK, I fixed the DGDenoise problem. Now I have one little issue in DGTelecide. Fixes coming soon...

Thanks for pointing this out, gonca.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for creating the filters
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Of course, it would be better if they worked properly. ;)

I just slipstreamed the fix. Heading over to the binaries thread to announce it.
admin

Post by admin »

This works pretty good on your sample, gonca:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
dgdenoise(strength=2.0,searchw=9,chroma=true)
dgsharpen()

That's industrial strength. Reduce strength and/or searchw, or turn off chroma, if you like.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I have read the documentation but would you recommend searchw=9 or chroma+true over the defaults in general terms?
admin

Post by admin »

Generally, it's a tradeoff of speed against thoroughness (aka, "quality").

Take chroma. Make this script:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
UtoY() # visualize the chroma U plane

and compare it to this:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
grayscale() # visualize the luma plane

You will see that there is lots of noise in the luma but only a relatively small amount in the chroma. That's pretty typical. So adding chroma=true will slow things down while not doing much for the perceived result.

Regarding searchw. The bigger it is the better the smoothing but you lose some detail and it takes longer.

I usually just go with searchw=5 and chroma=false and then set the strength as desired. I don't work with very noisy sources like your sample, however. The knobs are there for you to tweak for noisier sources.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the explanation and information.
I normally don't work with sources that noisy but I do have some older movies hat seem to be from the era of "Movie Grain is King"
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Running an encode and it looks like its all working as it should
admin

Post by admin »

Sweet, thanks for the report and testing. I tested this version pretty well too.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:Generally, it's a tradeoff of speed against thoroughness (aka, "quality").

Take chroma. Make this script:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
UtoY() # visualize the chroma U plane

and compare it to this:

dgsource("sample.dgi")
grayscale() # visualize the luma plane
Why is the chroma U plane view shown at half frame width? Is it because of the YV12 4.2.0 colorspace?
admin

Post by admin »

It's also half height. Yes, it is that way because there is one U sample (and one V sample) for each block of 4 luma samples.

Y Y
Y Y
U
V
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Ah, the penny dropped why I got the horizontal reduction only. My source was actually 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0.
Thanks.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

A cosmetic issue with DGDenoise:

When I set strength=0.0 I am getting an almost black picture for chroma=false, and a green picture for chroma=true.
Well, one should not set strength to zero, right? :roll:
admin

Post by admin »

Right. I'll add a check for that. Thanks for pointing it out.
DAE avatar
mparade

Post by mparade »

Hello,

Sorry for asking that, but how can one access CUDA Filters packaged into DGDecodeNV?

I have been using DGDecNV for a few years and now opted for giving a try to DGDenoise to speed up my scripts feeded into x265.

Thank you in advance for the support.
admin

Post by admin »

Just load plugin DGDecodeNV.dll and then use DGDenoise(). If you use DGSource() then you have already loaded the dll. Refer to the DGDecodeNV user manual for parameters.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Isn't DGDenoise Vapoursynth-compatible? I tried using it the normal way as dgdecodenv.dll is in the VS plugins autoload folder, but the function is not recognized. DGSource itself works just fine. I'd like to switch to DGDenoise as my prefiltering tool, it's much faster than KNLMeansCL even with chroma processing enabled.
admin

Post by admin »

DGDenoise is not native-Vapoursynth-enabled. You can run it in avscompat mode, however. Here is an example:

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
core.avs.LoadPlugin("DGDecodeNV.dll")
core.avs.LoadPlugin("DGHDRtoSDR.dll")
clip = core.avs.DGSource("Coco.dgi",fulldepth=True)
clip = core.avs.DGHDRtoSDR(clip,fulldepth=False)
clip = core.avs.DGDenoise(clip)
clip.set_output()

I'm trying to stay away from native support, as it is a major hassle to implement and maintain two versions. If you run into any serious downsides from avscompat mode, please let me know.

BTW, you can run DGSource() in native mode with DGDenoise() in avscompat mode, but you have to load the DLL into both namespaces:

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
core.std.LoadPlugin("DGDecodeNV.dll")
core.avs.LoadPlugin("DGDecodeNV.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin("DGHDRtoSDR.dll")
clip = core.dgdecodenv.DGSource("Coco.dgi",fulldepth=True)
clip = core.dghdrtosdr.DGHDRtoSDR(clip,fulldepth=False)
clip = core.avs.DGDenoise(clip)
clip.set_output()
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Thanks, I think I'll start using the avscompat mode for now. I suppose there are no big differences what comes to performance or stability of DGSource?
admin

Post by admin »

That's right, there is no significant difference performance-wise. There is a difference in autoloading but to me it is a minor matter.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

I seem to recall something about a custom avscompat.dll for vapoursynth ... is one needed ?
I really do like it here.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

hydra3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 pm
I seem to recall something about a custom avscompat.dll for vapoursynth ... is one needed ?
For the normal DGIndexNV and DGDecodeNV no
For the CudaSynth versions one will be needed
DAE avatar
zybex

Post by zybex »

Hello dear Donald.
Thank you for your wonderful plugins and filters, they are really useful and are used by me and many users around the world.

I ask you to refine the filter "DGDenoise", having made separate adjustment of parameters for Luma and Chroma in it, this will allow it to be used much better. In particular, I have the original video files, which for high-quality noise reduction without loss of detail, the current version of the same parameter values ​​for Luma and Chroma in the "DGDenoise" filter is not enough.

The current option for the "DGDenoise" filter looks like this:
DGDenoise (clip c, float strength, float blend, bool chroma, int searchw, int device)

I suggest you create new additional parameters:
L_strength # Luma strength
L_blend # Luma blend
L_searchw # Luma searchw
C_strength # Chroma strength
C_blend # Chroma blend
C_searchw # Chroma searchw

At the same time, it would be nice to make compatibility with the old parameter format so that if the values of the new parameters are not specified (separately for Luma and Chroma), then the old parameters would act if their values are indicated (strength, blend, chroma, searchw).

Now I have to resort to such a trick for separately adjusting the noise reduction parameters for Luma and Chroma:

lumadenoise = DGDenoise(strength=0.10, blend=0.5, chroma=false, searchw=9, device=255)
chromadenoise = DGDenoise(strength=0.12, blend=0, chroma=true, searchw=9, device=255)
lumadenoise.MergeChroma(chromadenoise)

But I would like to achieve the same result by setting the parameters in the "DGDenoise" filter in one line, for 1 time, this would be more correct, convenient and possibly faster.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yes I can do that. There are some other pending enhancement requests. I hope to get to it soon after getting DGDemux with MVC etc. out the door. Thank you for your suggestion and welcome to the forum, zybex!
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

:thumbsup:
I really do like it here.