DGDenoise

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar

Re: About DGDenoise

Post by Guest »

1920 cuda cores

Cuda is scalable through SLI is it not?
admin

Post by admin »

Perhaps, but we don't need SLI to use multiple GPUs. We would expect CUDASynth to handle it transparently.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:I haven't decided the exact temporal denoising to be implemented [thank you for pointing out TemporalSoften()], but it will surely be done with additional parameters and not by adding a new filter.
As first iteration, get a look to KNLMeansCL source and just kick in the temporal part. I am curious to see speed.

And, please, give us more parameters to play with frame span, noise window, etc :bow:
admin

Post by admin »

Greetings Guest 2.

Good advice, thanks. I'll have a look. I don't know if it uses a full 3D NLM or if it just hacks in some kind of temporal filter. I'm close to deciding not to bother anyway, unless someone shows me a clip that really needs the temporal component.

Exposing the search size and patch size by making them parameters is not so easy when the loops are unrolled at compile time (loop unrolling gives a massive speed-up). I could provide a set of selectable kernels with different fixed parameters (call them presets). What fixed parameter sets would be useful for you?

I've been looking for ways to make NLM separable, as that could give a substantial speed-up. One paper I saw does it by recasting NLM as a convolution, but I'm still grokking the details.

BTW, I added licensing checks to DGDecodeNV.dll in order to protect included standalone filters that don't depend on a DGI file. I want to reward only legit and loyal DG users (and not people at other forums that abuse me with full support of the administrators; at my core I am a decent, generous guy, but I hit back hard when attacked). Anyway, gonca kept asking me to add licensing. :D
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Anyway, gonca kept asking me to add licensing. :D
Just thought you should be rewarded for your hard work, or at least some of your server costs covered.
Besides that, good beer and triple malt scotch aint cheap!! :(
Your loyalty and devotion to legitimate DG tools users is appreciated. :D
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! Getting ready to optimize the inner loop...

DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Moonshine? :wow:
admin

Post by admin »

Heck no, only the best for DG.
admin

Post by admin »

I slipstreamed 2053 to add a searchw parameter for the denoising. You can set it to 5, 7, or 9. The default is 5, corresponding to a=2 for KNLMeansCL.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:What fixed parameter sets would be useful for you?
Fixed is of little use, as every movie has different noise (and film grain too).

Anyway, time is on your side. Thanks for all your efforts. :bow:
admin

Post by admin »

Fixed doesn't mean you can't change the settings. It just means I have to limit the combinations I offer, due to the inability to unroll at run time. How long are you willing to wait for JIT compilation of the PTX code? 1ms? 10ms? 100ms? 1 sec? 10 seconds? 10 minutes?

So I ask again, what combinations of parameters do you need? If you say all of them, then it means you should use KNLMeansCL and be happy with the performance degradation you pay for your freedom. I wish I could offer you a free lunch, but reality bites.
admin

Post by admin »

Gals and guys, have you checked out the 1080Ti? At $699 this will likely be my next GPU card. What say you, gonca?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Looks highly impressive, my 1070 looks weak all of the sudden.
Are you a gamer?
What about the Pascal Titan?
250 watts though, how big is your power supply?
admin

Post by admin »

I'm not a gamer; I want lots of cores for running multiple CUDA kernels in a pipeline (via CUDA streams): CUDASynth.

1080Ti edges out Titan X, except for 1GB less memory. nVidia acknowledges the market will move from Titan X to 1080Ti.

I'll take my big tower and 850W supply out of the shed to build a new system.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

:lol: If your shed is anything like mine, just get a new tower and power supply
admin

Post by admin »

I located gonca's shed on Google street view.

DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Hey, who fixed my shed without telling me?
admin

Post by admin »

I did my best last night but I think it's a lost cause.

BTW, I grabbed an old TRS-80 I found in there but it had a rat's nest inside and the 10MB disk was rusted.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

article-2251639-169BBDF3000005DC-137_634x461.jpg
"lost cause" -- never looked better
Thanks for cleaning up my backyard, by the way, it couldn't be a rats nest - a squirrels nest yes.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Quick question
How do you get the pics to show the way they do? No attachment etc.
admin

Post by admin »

Ah, they did look like pretty big rats. Anyway, half decomposed makes identification difficult.

For images, I upload to my website misc folder, then use the Img tag and put the URL in there. So you need to have your image online somewhere and have permissions from this forum's admin to use the Img tag. I will check that I have given it to normal members.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Maybe it is not worth your effort, after all, this way it prevents bad stuff from being shown to the general public. Security and peace of mind kind of thing.
admin

Post by admin »

I trust my users and welcome them by default as respected and honored guests. If they violate the trust they get removed very fast. If they show a golden heart and contribute useful things, they get Distinguished Member status.

Looks like [Img] should be working for Registered Users. If you decide to try, let me know. Actually on a reply look to the right under the smilies. Does it say "[img] is ON" for you?

You can use a free file hosting site but who knows how long your link will remain valid. Nice to have your own hosted site. You can get one for as low as $3.95 a month. I use Inmotion Hosting (http://www.inmotionhosting.com/). I'll stay there as they have announced the messed up server biz107 I am on is going to be replaced. I was on the verge of switching hosts due to the high downtime of biz107. Hostgator is also very good.
admin

Post by admin »

Speaking of squirrels, I have an ethical dilemma.

I put out a bird feeder because I thought with temperatures in the 10's and 20's my bird friends might appreciate some nutritional assistance. Then the squirrels started invading and they intimidated the birds. So I started feeding the squirrels separately. Then the geese started vacuuming up the squirrel food and left goose ??? all over my patio. That got me thinking about speciesism again (see here, I've thought about it before: http://rationalqm.us/papers/Speciesism.pdf). Is it OK to like birds better? I'm so confused, help me.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

As long as regular users are only allowed to post BBcode, there is minimal security risk. You just don't want them to be able to post HTML/JavaScript. ;)