DGSharpen

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
admin

Re: About DGSharpen

Post by admin »

I did some tests of DGSharpen versus LSF with corresponding parameters on my 1050Ti.

With no filters the decoding rate for 1080p is 395 fps. Adding DGSharpen drops it to 314 fps. Adding LSF drops it to 225. DGSharpen is thus about twice as fast as LSF.

A similar calculation excluding the decoding for DGDenoise versus KNLMeansCL would show an even greater speedup than previously reported.

I did some extensive research online about available CUDA video filtering implementations. With all due modesty, it seems I am the first guy to get impressive performance results (sorry, I do not consider KNLMeansCL to be impressive in performance). My architecture and optimizations appear to be hitting the sweet spot. Can't wait for my 1080Ti.

I found a CUDA denoising filter for VirtualDub that claimed to implement "Quick NLM" (which I previously rejected due to its artifacting). When I ran it, it produced only black frames. I reckon I could produce black frames at a very high rate. :lol:

Regarding my CUDASynth idea, during the above-mentioned research I found that user "Adub" from another forum has previously suggested a similar idea. He did not ever release anything. Some others have talked about making pipelines by leaving frames in GPU memory. Unfortunately for my current architecture, it's not so easy. To get good performance I need to use texture memory, but it is read-only on the device. I have some ideas to get around that, but I don't know right now what the impact on performance will be versus just copying back to the host and running the following filter in the usual way.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Easy to suggest or come up with ideas
Implementation is the hard part, and you are implementing your ideas
admin

Post by admin »

gonca wrote:Implementation is the hard part
+1
admin

Post by admin »

I packaged the CUDA binaries into DGIndexNV and DGDecodeNV as I mentioned earlier. I also converted to PTX and JIT compilation, which means I won't have anything to do for new architectures. Now you won't need any extra CUDA files in the distribution. I'll regression test and slipstream later today. A slipstream a day keeps the cracker away. :lol:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Guess I'll be checking it out this weekend, any tests you want me to do?

PS
Haven't forgot about using the iGPU on my new system to check your software like you asked, its just that life got in the way for a few days.
Hopefully I'll have the new system up and running early next week and will test.
admin

Post by admin »

Please just make sure I didn't break anything when I embedded the PTX code for both DGIndexNV and DGDecodeNV. Thanks, gonca. This PTX embedding is good both to be future-proof and to protect my kernels at least a tiny bit. If I really want to get paranoid, I can encrypt the memory representation and decrypt it just before JIT compilation.

Don't worry too much about IMSDK stuff. I am focused on CUDASynth and CUDA versions of MaskTools and MVTools functionality right now.

Tomorrow is launch day for the 1080Ti. I hope to at least score a pre-order somewhere. MSI is looking promising.

I'm working on a bottle of Grant's right now. It has a nice sweetness to it. I usually take it neat but I will try on the rocks too.

My new rule is don't buy any Scotch that comes in a plastic bottle. ;)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

My new rule is don't buy any Scotch that comes in a plastic bottle. ;)
or in a cardboard box with a plastic liner :cry:
admin

Post by admin »

Oy, I thought they did that only for wine.

Do you like that Laphroigh stuff? I could not abide the overly smoky taste.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

You're probably right, but in this day and age you never know.
If there is a market, they will try to sell it, some good ol' 5 minute aged stuff (moonshine)
http://www.oocities.org/collegepark/qua ... reech.html
If it isn't sold in a cardboard box it should be
This is what Canadian moonshine is all about
https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=newfo ... h&ei=UTF-8
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Results
Used my basic settings to encode
Results look awesome
DGDenoise and DGSharpen at default

Speeds
DGSource 541.2 fps >> 1.848 mseconds per frame
DGSource + DGDenoise 258.7 fps >> 3.501 mseconds per frame
DGDenoise 1.653 mseconds per frame >>> 605.0 fps
DGSource + DGDenoise + DGSharpen 205.6 fps >> 4.863 mseconds per frame
DGSharpen 1.362 mseconds per frame >>> 734.2 fps

I also captured 1000 frames from each encode with VDub for comparison. Quality is great

If you wish access to the encoded clips or the caps let me know. I can set something up.
admin

Post by admin »

Looking good, thank you for the results, gonca.

I pulled the trigger on my new system. Sadly, though, the 1080Ti is on back-order. At least I am in the queue.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Seems that even the Nvidia store is out of stock
admin

Post by admin »

Everybody is out. You had to be online hitting F5 every 10 seconds to even have a chance.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I pulled the trigger on my new system
What are you getting?
admin

Post by admin »

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15Q-64GVR

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor

MSI Z270 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB GDDR5X Founders Edition VR Ready 5K HD Gaming HDMI DisplayPort PCIe Graphics Card (GTX1080TI-FE)

I have a big tower case and hard disk in the shed. Mouse/keyboard/monitor to be determined.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

hard disk in the shed
:facepalm:
Looks good though, but 64 GB of ram? You won't run out of memory.
admin

Post by admin »

You know what they say...more is better. Reminds me once I fertilized my lawn and applied that philosophy. Bad move. :(

I have a swimmer I coach swimming IL age group champ 100 free finals in about an hour. He qualified 1st into finals. Cross your fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6gJbw ... tGt9g/live
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

With you coaching he's got the advantage right off the bat
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, I appreciate that.