CUDA Suggestions and Talk

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: CUDA Suggestions and Talk

Post by Sharc »

What went wrong here? Look at the strong color ghosting for PVBob. :shock: The other bobbers are clean.....
Source and sample here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w364x2sin ... adios_.zip
admin

Post by admin »

Looks like something is not working right. ;)

OK, the VPP apparently wants its pitch to be mod 64. 1920 / 64 = 30, so it works fine. 1440 / 64 = 22.5, so it fails. I changed the VPP re-pitching to mod 64 and it fixes this issue. If you resize to width=1920 it also works without this fix.

I'll slipstream a fix for this and the delay later this morning after final testing.

Thanks for pointing this out. nVidia told me this VPP feature is experimental, so we are learning by experiment. 8-)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

gonca wrote:PVBob looks good, but did I notice a little softness in the two bobbers?
Only really noticeable on a frame by frrame advance
After viewing the latest comparison by Sharc I retract my statement.
The comparisons look good, new issues apart
admin

Post by admin »

Please test the new slipstream, guys. Thanks!

I prefer bug reports in the relevant threads rather than this talk thread, if possible, but no big deal. Thank you.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:Looks like something is not working right. ;)

OK, the VPP apparently wants its pitch to be mod 64. 1920 / 64 = 30, so it works fine. 1440 / 64 = 22.5, so it fails. I changed the VPP re-pitching to mod 64 and it fixes this issue. If you resize to width=1920 it also works without this fix.

I'll slipstream a fix for this and the delay later this morning after final testing.

Thanks for pointing this out. nVidia told me this VPP feature is experimental, so we are learning by experiment. 8-)
Yep, it's ok now. Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks!
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

More comparison:
Not that it really matters in practice but you can see the bobbing artifacts around the drummer's (motion blurred) sticks around frame 850 or 1600, and the sharpness of the strings + shadows of the strings near Gilmour's right hand around frame 3000. QTGMC is shining, I think.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yxwzx2ur1 ... kFloyd1.ts

The source is here. I encoded only a part of it for the comparison:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r1628fpwz ... 080i25.mkv
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for that, Sharc. I'll have a look after I get this last fix slipstreamed.
admin

Post by admin »

My two cents on Sharc's comparison: For sure, QTGMC is the best. I don't see it doing especially better with detail retention, but rather better at avoiding artifacts in motion blur. Whether you can see anything significantly better when played at normal speed is debatable, and whether the improvement is worth the large performance penalty is a matter for users to weigh. It's clear that TDeint is much worse both in artifacts and aliasing.

I can make a script with DGSource(deinterlace=2) and even add NLM denoising for UHD video and get 80 fps at 13% CPU, leaving gobs of CPU for encoding, or allowing for real-time playback of 24/25 fps source. Can one do that with QTGMC/KNLMeansCL?
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Is DGSource(deinterlace=2) the same as PVBob()?
admin

Post by admin »

Theoretically yes for functionality, but it will be slower.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:My two cents on Sharc's comparison: For sure, QTGMC is the best. I don't see it doing especially better with detail retention, but rather better at avoiding artifacts in motion blur. Whether you can see anything significantly better when played at normal speed is debatable, and whether the improvement is worth the large performance penalty is a matter for users to weigh. It's clear that TDeint is much worse both in artifacts and aliasing.

I can make a script with DGSource(deinterlace=2) and even add NLM denoising for UHD video and get 80 fps at 13% CPU, leaving gobs of CPU for encoding, or allowing for real-time playback of 24/25 fps source. Can one do that with QTGMC/KNLMeansCL?
No, one can't, by a country mile. That is significantly better than 1-5 fps (end to end).

Per the strong default settings (for me) in DGDenoise viewtopic.php?f=14&t=506&p=6281#p6281 I reckon I'm in a position to fiddle up a new set of scripts without QTGMC to process much loved 576i/1080i footy games. eg something like a simple

Code: Select all

DGsource(deinterlace=2) 
use some old deblocker (yes, still sourcing an example for DG)
DGdenoise(strength=0.03) # stronger, 0.06 for other than footy clips
DGsharpen(strength=0.3) # to be played with for a generic setting suitable for those clips
reinterlace
Did you have some fancier script in mind ?

Thanks !
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

It's hard to say without seeing a sample of your source. Generally speaking, I prefer a light hand in the processing department. Why don't you post up a sample for us?
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

hydra3333 wrote:
admin wrote:My two cents on Sharc's comparison: For sure, QTGMC is the best. I don't see it doing especially better with detail retention, but rather better at avoiding artifacts in motion blur. Whether you can see anything significantly better when played at normal speed is debatable, and whether the improvement is worth the large performance penalty is a matter for users to weigh. It's clear that TDeint is much worse both in artifacts and aliasing.

No, one can't, by a country mile. That is significantly better than 1-5 fps (end to end).
Well yes, there exists no CUDA/GPU based QTGMC yet ..... and the "better" will always be the enemy of the "very good" ;)
Speed matters to me mainly for testing or for playing scripts in real-time. Encoding jobs can run overnight.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

To bring back the requests made by Hydra333 and myself into the light
DGDeblock
DGResizer
DGencNV

Please understand that I am not trying to push these requests, these are when you have time and if you are in the mood.
Your paper is first
Just digging them out from the comparison posts
Your dedication and loyalty to the DGTools users is appreciated :bow:
admin

Post by admin »

Still waiting for the materials I requested (sample clips and existing deblocking methods used successfully) to get started on DGDeblock. Did they get posted and I missed it?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

admin wrote:Still waiting for the materials I requested (sample clips and existing deblocking methods used successfully) to get started on DGDeblock. Did they get posted and I missed it?
As far as I know Hydra333 did not post them.
Maybe this will serve as a reminder to him
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

dg didn't miss anything. it would server as a reminder.
hydra3333 is terribly lazy and hasn't posted any useful sample, although it seems possible it may happen in the next 2 weeks or so (job permitting, i.e. if not busy looking for a new one) :|
admin

Post by admin »

Take your time, hydra3333. I'm busy too on another project for several weeks. I hope your employment situation resolves in a beneficial way for you.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

On a separate tack, I see that cuda toolkit version 10 is released, along with the usual need for the latest driver.

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-toolk ... index.html

I wonder, does this affect any of DG's tools and/or present any opportunity for further DG magic ?

I note with interest in the release notes
Added support for peer-to-peer (P2P) with CUDA on Windows
which would probably be worth clarifying (CUDA supported programmatic chatting with other computers on the net ?).
admin

Post by admin »

I'm not seeing anything obviously useful but let's see. One downside of upgrading to later CUDA toolsets is that we have to leave some older cards unsupported. I hate to have to do that.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Do you thing is feasible to port a CUDA version of DFTTest and/or FFTFilter? The first above all is really CPU time consuming.
admin

Post by admin »

I'll have a look as time permits.
DAE avatar
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Donald,

do I use DGBob correctly so far?

Code: Select all

DGBob(order=-1, mode=0)
And when or why would I want to use mode 1 or 2? I noticed that a 25fps movie is shown as a 50fps movie with mode 1 and as a 25fps movie with mode 2 but with double the runtime.

Also I think since I'm using DGSource I'm good using order -1, right?

As another question: Is there also a resize filter I could use from you that runs on CUDA support? :)
admin

Post by admin »

Assuming you are using the DGBob() from DGDecodeNV.dll and not the obsolete stand-alone filter, that looks fine.

mode 0 makes a smaller encode but loses motion fluidity
mode 1 makes a larger encode but keeps motion fluidity
mode 2 is to create a slow-motion effect.

Yes, DGBob() can take the field order from DGSource().

DGSource() can resize on the GPU. Use the rw and rh parameters.