HDR -> SDR conversion

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
admin
Site Admin

Re: HDR -> SDR tonemapping

Post by admin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 am

Narkyy wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:11 pm
DGHDRtoSDR looks closest to color corrected, though with blocking.
What do you mean by "with blocking"?

Narkyy

Post by Narkyy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am

I'm not sure if it's what you mean as clipping, but on the edges going from very bright light to green it looks like squares instead of a smooth transition/gradient.
Mostly noticeable at lower light like the light=160 screenshot, the one at 500 looks good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:23 am

OK, thank you. We could call it contouring. The thing is, though, if you take the HDR screenshot and tweak levels (or brightness/contrast) on it, you can see these same contours. So what is so wrong about my rendering? And does it really make a big deal of difference for unusual scenes like this?

I tried gamut mapping it by compressing the saturation rather than just clipping the RGB and it made no noticeable difference. The clipped (out of gamut) area is actually a smaller ellipse within the bigger bright ellipse. This inner contour is not noticeable within the bigger bright ellipse (I see it only by changing out of gamut colors to full red), and so changes to its mapping won't affect the bigger bright contour. And that bright contour is present in the HDR as I said. I'm thinking for dmcs this may be more a matter of the lightness levels than contouring.

@dmcs

Can you please provide a bigger source video sample that includes extra "normal" scenes around the one you gave. I am trying to determine the correct light level to use. The metadata says light=1000 but that makes things too dark. I can give you my FTP details if needed.

Narkyy

Post by Narkyy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 am

I guess it's the same issue as this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=617&start=320#p8494
Looks good only at high nits, but increasing that affects the whole frame.
Another comparison with peak=3 and HDRTools

2.png
2.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 163 times
3.png
3.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 163 times

Though like said before HDRTools is more complicated to understand what's being done.

Also metadata from HDR streams usually only determines the peak nits the highlights should be clipped at, I think.
Which is why it looks too dark.
For example: Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
However there's also MaxFALL (Max Frame-Average Light Level) but it's not always specified in the stream metadata.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 am

I really need a bigger source sample from dmcs. There's no way to make good decisions based on a few frames of a very unusual scene.

Your screenshots are not labeled so I cannot tell what they are (what is 2.png, what is 3.png?). That makes them useless. ;)

Narkyy

Post by Narkyy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:37 am

In order: peak=3, HDRTools tonemap
Regarding dmcs' issue, I guess peak=2 would fix the overblown highlight. That's usually a value that works well.

I just derailed from the initial problem with the "contouring" issue, sorry for that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:56 am

Narkyy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:37 am
In order: peak=3, HDRTools tonemap
Regarding dmcs' issue, I guess peak=2 would fix the overblown highlight. That's usually a value that works well.

I just derailed from the initial problem with the "contouring" issue, sorry for that.
I still don't get it. Can you give the script for each screenshot.

I'm not conceding that my rendering is "overblown". How do you define that and how do you determine if something is overblown?

I do prefer to stick with one sample until we reach some closure and not confuse it with others.

Narkyy

Post by Narkyy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm guessing he's comparing with the SDR version (from a SDR mastered Bluray).
The center of the highlight (luma around 235) is wider with default settings, so "overblown".
Either that or 235 is too high? I don't know.
Mobius' peak setting does help because it doesn't affect the overall brightness, just highlights.

SDR

DGHDRtoSDR(impl="255", tm="mobius", light=160)
1.png
1.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 144 times

DGHDRtoSDR(impl="255", tm="mobius", light=160, peak=2.0)
2.png
2.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 144 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:46 pm

light = 160 is way too low, in my opinion. Don't blame me for blown out areas with that light setting.

I'm going to wait for dmcs to tell me what he thinks is wrong and why. I do not see anything wrong with my rendering (light = 500 + default mobius).

Here is the HDR screenshot naively sharpened:

hdr.jpg
hdr.jpg (171.03 KiB) Viewed 138 times
The contours are there in the source. I'm not interested in duplicating some random SDR conversion of which we know nothing. I only want my rendering to be decent across all scenes and videos.

dmcs

Post by dmcs » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi,
I hope a 3 minute sample would suffice. Let me know.

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/#!oYNFQaTS!fruexcgJYX_BtlfXzTnDEhjgibgdHoqhT0762v_l7Kg
I think I've jumped into the "overblown" conclusion too early. My apology. Here are some screenshots that I took, using Mobius, with light=250 and 500 respectively (other parameters are set at default) and madVR.

In order: HDR no tonemapping -- light=250 -- light=500 -- madVR

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

At light=500, the scene with the turntable looks fine, smooth transition from the brightest center outwards. But then the other scene looks really dark.

For light=250, the results are reverse. In the scene with the turntable, there appears to be a teal blocky boundary (aliasing artifact?) along the contour of the brightest area.