CUDASynth

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
hydra3333

Re: CUDASynth

Post by hydra3333 »

DJATOM wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:56 pm
Yeah, it's possible to make autoloading with hand-written python module (as I did before native DGSource version came out), but it's, say, wasting a time to type another line in the script. So I'd like to have native versions if possible. I almost don't use avs+ nowadays, moved to VS about 1 year ago :lol:
Being a control freak from way back (too many systems went belly up if decent control was omitted during development) I always manually load everything and don't begrudge a line or 20 of code :) Personal preference.

rar ? google tells me
What does RAR stand for in finance?
Abbr. Meaning
RAR Revenue Agent Report (US IRS)
RAR Refund-Anticipated Return
RAR Run At Risk
RAR Regulatory Asset Ratio (finance)
3rd seems about right given the vsrepo experience with 7z :D
I really do like it here.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

If you go this route all I really need to do is change my templates to be avs compatible.
So, all is good
Now that I think about it, the only reason I moved to vs was the lack of high bit depth support in the avisynth chain (NVEncC)
That has been corrected though
admin

Post by admin »

Good points, guys, thanks.

I have found a simple script that runs perfect in Avisynth+ but runs at half speed and then stops completely in Vapoursynth native (no CUDASynth for both). I want to check a few things first and then I'll give you the script to see if you can replicate it. Then we'll have to try to figure out what is going wrong.
admin

Post by admin »

I found the cause of the Vapoursynth slowdown and stoppage. DGHDRtoSDR was missing a freeFrame(src) call (affecting only the Vapoursynth code) and so memory was being exhausted. I'll release a fix later today and then get back to proper benchmarking.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Good to hear you are making headway
admin

Post by admin »

Yup. I also got things going with my test script in avscompat mode. I had an earlier version of Vapoursynth and when I upgraded to R44 everything started working.
admin

Post by admin »

Following are performance results with a simple script with just DGSource() followed by DGHDRtoSDR() for 3840x2160. I won't give the exact scripts right now as I need to give you a revised DGHDRtoSDR.dll and a revised AvsCompat.dll to enable you to duplicate my results. I'll give you those things in a while. Benchmarked with AVSMeter and VSEdit.

The change made to AvsCompat.dll for the results below was to add PREFETCHR1(DGHDRtoSDR). DGHDRtoSDR() is not temporal but the prefetching helps Vapoursynth to parallelize things.

Native Avisynth+: 80.4 fps / 14% CPU
Native Avisynth+ with pipeline: 181.7 / 8% CPU

Native Vapoursynth: 79.8 fps
AvsCompat Vapoursynth: 80.2 fps
AvsCompat Vapoursynth with pipeline: 181.7 fps

These results support my proposed plan to not make Vapoursynth native versions but rather to ship an optimized AvsCompat.dll instead. I'm also thinking of revising AvsCompat.dll to be able to read from a file of prefetch values, so users can tweak things. Or, maybe better, add a prefetch parameter to the filter itself for use by AvsCompat.dll. Always thinking outside the box. :twisted:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Or, maybe better, add a prefetch parameter to the filter itself for use by AvsCompat.dll.
This sounds like a great idea.
Allows to tweak the performance by filter instead of entire script
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Very nice, yes.
I wonder, the vs author may accept a patch :) https://github.com/vapoursynth/vapoursynth
admin

Post by admin »

Just thought to let you guys know I managed to place an order for a 2080 Ti Founders Edition with the nVidia store. It's estimated to ship between 10/19/2018 and 10/26/2018. It's financed from donations so thank you to my users! :salute: You know I will use it to make DG tools greater than ever before for all of us.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/vi ... rtx2080ti/

Meanwhile, on the CUDASynth front, I have discovered some very interesting things focused around what Prefetch() does in Avisynth+, and what the PREFETCH macro does in Vapoursynth, and how they interact with CUDASynth. It opens a possible avenue for further performance gains. I'll write a post about it when I get an energy burst. Right now I am working on DGIndex MKV support. I have decoded and displayed a frame from an MKV but have loads of things to do to complete MKV support. Fortunately, most of it can be pulled from DGDecNV.

@hydra3333

A patch would likely not be accepted as similar ideas have been rejected. No problem; it's easy to replace AvisynthCompat.dll.
admin

Post by admin »

My 2080 Ti shipped today and will arrive Saturday. :D
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

My goodness, to afford that you won the lottery ? :D
Nice.
admin

Post by admin »

Financed by my users. Thank you!
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 pm
My 2080 Ti shipped today and will arrive Saturday. :D
Did it arrive yet?
admin

Post by admin »

I stepped out for an unavoidable coaching session, and 7 minutes after I drove away the FedEx guy arrived. Murphy's Law. They retry tomorrow and I'll be home all day. I am excited about the tensor cores.
admin

Post by admin »

Bogus info from the lady on the phone! Won't be re-attempted until Tuesday and cannot pickup at FedEx facility per nVidia instructions. :(
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Gotta be patient, I guess
admin

Post by admin »

Oy, Fedex! So after telling me the delivery would be Tuesday, they came today (Monday) and of course I was away again. Now the website says they are holding it for pickup at an office 15 miles away! I'll drive out there to pick it up and I suppose they will say it is on the truck for delivery. :facepalm:
admin

Post by admin »

Alright, the beast is sitting on the desk in front of me now. All's well that ends well. Building up the courage to do the install... :P
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Watch the power requirements, RTX might be a little higher than the GTX
The RTX has been measured at close to 280 watts
admin

Post by admin »

Will do. IIRC I have an 800W supply in there. I'm going to install tomorrow morning.
admin

Post by admin »

LOL, it's 850W.

The 2080 Ti install went smoothly. DG tools still working fine. The List GPU dialog shows some weird things, like 0 CUDA cores. I'll have to investigate that. Maybe things need to be rebuilt with a later CUDA toolkit. Will get some preliminary performance numbers shortly.
admin

Post by admin »

Testing 3840x2160 HDR -> SDR script with pipeline:

1080 Ti runs at 180 fps.
2080 Ti runs at 321 fps. 338 fps with moderate overclocking.

That is a hefty performance boost. :wow:

It seems they did some great work on the video engine.

Now I have to decide whether to keep the 1080 TI in this machine as well, or upgrade my backup PC. Putting it in this machine will allow more fun things to play with, such as encoding on the second card, etc.

Christmas came early. ;)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Could you check the encoding features for HEVC (such as B frames) on the RTX 2080ti, please?
And you are right, those are some significant numbers on the fps
Question
If you did keep the GTX 1080ti and the RTX 2080ti in the same system which one would you use for frame serving and which one for encoding
admin

Post by admin »

I'll look into encoding. I never worked with it but this is a good time to start.

If I keep them both in I can try it both ways for decoding and encoding.