DGDenoise as prefilter

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

DGDenoise as prefilter

Post by Guest 2 »

Has someone some experience using DGDenoise to create prefilter with SMDegrain?

As a general rule, should I use "strong" denoise parameters to use it as reference for motion compensated denoising?

Which trigger do you suggest me to touch and around what range?

P.S: @Rocky do you remember you told me you were curious about creating something about MC DGDenoise? :salute:
Rocky

Re: DGDenoise as prefilter

Post by Rocky »

I don't remember but I'll take your word for it. My progress bar of life is likely going to preclude anything like that, but never say never.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

I created an automatic script generator (read: by hand) so I could play with strength=0,1-1,0 and searchw=5/7/9 with all the possible permutations, keeping blend=0, chroma=true.

Unfortunately it doesn't work well as SMDegrain prefilter as it creates color/noise fluctuations in omogeneous areas. :cry:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am
I created an automatic script generator (read: by hand) so I could play with strength=0,1-1,0 and searchw=5/7/9 with all the possible permutations, keeping blend=0, chroma=true.

Unfortunately it doesn't work well as SMDegrain prefilter as it creates color/noise fluctuations in omogeneous areas. :cry:
I don't know much about SMDegrain but I can't see how DGDenoise could cause "color/noise fluctuations in homogeneous areas". Maybe with a script and link to SMDegrain I could have a look. If SMDegrain is going to require beaucoup extra stuff and a research project to get it working, however, maybe not.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 am
I don't know much about SMDegrain but I can't see how DGDemoise could cause "color/noise fluctuations in homogeneous areas". Maybe with a script and link to SMDegrain I could have a look. If SMDegrain is going to require beaucoup extra stuff and a research project to get it working, however, maybe not.
What you need:

https://github.com/realfinder/AVS-Stuff ... grain.avsi
https://github.com/realfinder/AVS-Stuff ... hared.avsi

SMDegrain relies upon:

https://github.com/Khanattila/KNLMeansC ... v1.1.1.zip
https://github.com/pinterf/mvtools/rele ... -depans.7z
https://github.com/pinterf/masktools/re ... v2.2.20.7z

My usual commandline for SMDegrain on noisy material is:

Code: Select all

SMDegrain (tr=6, thSAD=600, refinemotion=false, n16=true, mode=0, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, truemotion=false, plane=4, chroma=true)
If you want to use DGNoise as a prefilter (the parameters are the ones I got the best results with):

Code: Select all

pre=DGDenoise(strength=0.3, blend=0, chroma=true, searchw=9)
SMDegrain (PreFilter=pre, tr=6, thSAD=600, refinemotion=false, n16=true, mode=0, contrasharp=false, truemotion=false, plane=4, chroma=true)
I strongly recomend you to use Prefetch and test on really noisy stuff. I can send you some video comparison, if needed, as screenshot are useless in this case.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Sorry, too much crapola. Can you demonstrate an issue with DGDenoise alone?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:37 am
Sorry, too much crapola. Can you demonstrate an issue with DGDenoise alone?
Here it is https://www.mediafire.com/file/91n3fknb ... _A.7z/file

Filename is self explanatory: when you read DGDenoise is it only, when there is a "+" it is a combination with a prefilter and SMDegrain. When a prefilter is present, I already applied the best parameters, while on DGDenoise I scrolled thru all the possible strenght values.

Pay attention to some areas, such as on 00:06, the wall behind red chairs and play it step by step. Or other scenes too.

You can clearly see that KNL+SM is very clear, detailed and steady.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Not meaning to be rude to one of my good friends, but again, can you demonstrate a problem with DGDenoise alone? I'm not interested in the rest of the process. That's not on me. If you don't like it as a "prefilter" then don't use it. Not all tools are suitable for all purposes.

I will say that DGDenoise() is spatial only, whereas KNL is spatiotemporal. If there is temporal chroma noise that could be relevant.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Not meaning to be rude to one of my good friends, but again, can you demonstrate a problem with DGDenoise alone?
Dear Rocky, every file whose name is DGDenoise is created by it and itself only. :hat:
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:04 am
As a general rule, should I use "strong" denoise parameters to use it as reference for motion compensated denoising?
Not sure whether there is a general rule. Your source seems to be low contrast so that motion vectors may not detect details. Perhaps try to feed a clear and high contrast image as a prefilter.
Your filtered samples seem to be overfiltered (flat) to my taste. You didn't include the unfiltered original in your samples though.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yes, I agree with Sharc. We need the original source.

Also, what are your KNL settings?

Can you play around with this:

dgsource("D:\tmp\Guest 2 DGDenoise\DGDenoise(s=0.7,b=0,w=9).dgi")
TemporalSoften(3,4,8,scenechange=15,mode=2)

That will tell us if what you are seeing is down to the lack of temporal smoothing in DGDenoise().
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 am
Yes, I agree with Sharc. We need the original source.
Tell me a lossless codec you like and will send you the sampled video.
Rocky wrote:
Also, what are your KNL settings?
You can find in the filename :)
Rocky wrote:
Can you play around with this
Thanks! Will try!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm
Tell me a lossless codec you like and will send you the sampled video.
Why can't you give the source video? Why does it have to be re-encoded lossless?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:01 pm
Why does it have to be re-encoded lossless?
Done. Look at the wall behind red chairs at 00:10:14.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Can you please cut a sample? Don't want to download 5GB to look at a few frames.

What is the source type, please? I will tell you how to cut a small sample. VOBs?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 am
Can you please cut a sample? Don't want to download 5GB to look at a few frames. What is the source type, please? I will tell you how to cut a small sample. VOBs?
Done. I extracted some samples with AviDemux to preserve quality and pick the right sequence.

Look at the walls, the last mkv above all. You have a lot of noise and flashing.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ir87o5m6 ... _A.7z/file

If you want correct aspect ratio, encode with sar=64:45, as with most DVDs.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK, well obviously that is going to require heavy-duty denoising and deflickering way beyond what DGDenoise() can do. Good luck!
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Try
KNLMeansCL(d=8,a=2,s=4,h=2.0)