PCM (.w64) Question?

DAE avatar
DelBoy83

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by DelBoy83 »

Hi, when I demux a movie with PCM audio I get a .w64 audio file once demuxed. Would running this file through eac3to to flac be OK in terms of syncing up with the video? Also could I just use the .w64 audio? It doesn't seem to show up when I select for remuxing with mkvtoolnix.
Rocky

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by Rocky »

Welcome to the forum, DelBoy83. MKVToolnix does not do PCM audio in WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE. Mosu has said this about it:

"The reason PCM data isn't well supported is that no one cares enough about
it to put in the work. Will likely never improve substantially."

"No-one" refers to the MKVToolnix developers, as it is unrealistic to expect users to step up for this. WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE is well-documented and not hard to implement. After all, a simple squirrel was able to do it. I wasn't aware at the time of converting to extensible (at request of users) that it is not supported by MKVToolnix, else I could have made it selectable. Probably won't revisit that as you have a workaround of transcoding.

Yes, you can transcode the audio to FLAC. Gaps correction is not done for PCM but that is likely OK because the disks I have seen with PCM have all had a single M2TS, so there are no gaps to potentially correct. How many M2TS files are in your playlist? Give it a shot and see how it comes out.
DAE avatar
DelBoy83

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by DelBoy83 »

Thanks Rocky, for the detailed explanation. The Playlist in question has 3 m2ts files, the first and last being 1 second long and the middle m2ts being the main movie. Its a pain having to go through eac3to everytime I have a PCM file but it will have to be done if I want the file to be compatible. Also would just like to say how much I love the whole look of dgdemux. The layout is fantastic and so easy to use. Thank you also for the warm welcome, very much appreciated.
Rocky

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for your kind words and I'm happy you find our tools useful.

Let me look into making the PCM output format selectable. I have room for one more checkbox. ;)

Probably for that disk, you can skip the first and last M2TS, but even if you don't you should have no issues with sync.
DAE avatar
DelBoy83

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by DelBoy83 »

Rocky wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:34 am
Thank you for your kind words and I'm happy you find our tools useful.

Let me look into making the PCM output format selectable. I have room for one more checkbox. ;)

Probably for that disk, you can skip the first and last M2TS, but even if you don't you should have no issues with sync.
If you could make a PCM output selectable, that would be fantastic. Would really make life easier for myself and other users who come across PCM audio. I would be very grateful as like I said the program really does tick all boxes as a demuxing tool. In regards to the first and last m2ts files I just remove them and everythings fine so no problem there. Thanks again Rocky for your continued hard work and dedication to the program.
hubblec4

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by hubblec4 »

Hi Rocky and DelBoy83

Long time ago was PCM not supported by MKVToolNix (and cE had ignored such streams), but I have realized that it now works and I had also a disc here with PCM sound.

I say too, it would be fantastic when DGDemux has a native PCM demux support.
Rocky

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by Rocky »

hubblec4 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:53 am
I say too, it would be fantastic when DGDemux has a native PCM demux support.
DGDemux always supported PCM demuxing. It was changed to the WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE wrapper in build 66. So are you just asking for the older wrapper to be an option, or am I not understanding you?

For history, see here:

https://www.rationalqm.us/board/viewtop ... =16&t=1230
hubblec4

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by hubblec4 »

Maybe I misunderstood something.
I thought that PCM extract was not yet possible, or only in this “w64” format.
But DGDemux already has support for PCM and MTX can process the extracted track.

Sorry for the disruption.
Rocky

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by Rocky »

OK, thank you. It's just that the raw PCM audio samples must be wrapped to tell apps the bit depth, number of channels, etc. There are a number of options for what wrapper to use.
SomeHumanPerson

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by SomeHumanPerson »

I'm a little late to the party here, but I've been muxing the untouched .w64 output from DGDemux v1.0.0.70 (LPCM 1.0 and 2.0 sources) into .MKA (please don't ask me to explain my insanity!) with MKVToolNix v73.0.0 as recently as August 19th. The resulting .MKAs play fine, seek fine, and show all relevant details correctly in MediaInfo.

The only annoying part is that MKVToolNix will not display .w64 files in the "Add source files" dialog by default. You need to select "All files (*)" in the file type dropdown in order to see them.

Is this relevant to the conversation?
Rocky

PCM (.w64) Question?

Post by Rocky »

Sure it's relevant! Thank you. So the OP just has to select "All files (*)" in the file type dropdown as you said.

Marking resolved.