DGDemux (linux)

DG tools for linux

Moderator: Sherman

Rocky

DGDemux (linux)

Post by Rocky »

DJATOM mentioned over at Doom9 that DGIndexNV can be run through wine, so only DGDecodeNV needs to be ported. That should be much easier as DGDecodeNV does not heavily use win32 API. So my questions now for DJ are:

1. What linux distribution do you recommend for me to use?

2. Would you prefer Vapoursynth or Avisynth+ support initially?
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Info in PM from DJATOM:

-----
>But if a DGDecodeNV port by itself is useful, then that is a real possibility.
Yes, it will be.
>What linux distribution do you recommend for me to begin such a project?
I believe it's easy to install and develop on Debian. It's user-friendly, but allows more freedom compared to Ubuntu. As experienced Linux user, I'm using ArchLinux as second OS. It has obscure installation instruction, which took near 4 hours for me to complete, but it's "a rolling release OS". You have most up-to-date system with recent drivers, features, etc. Debian and Ubuntu has frozen software versions in their repositories, but good point is that software well-tested and should have less bugs. I'm using Debian as host OS on my home server and also satisfied with it's stability. I think targeting your binaries to Debian 9 or 10 will make them work on most modern Linux distros.
>And are you favoring Vapoursynth or Avisynth+ for linux?
Vapoursynth is preferred.
You are free to ask any Linux-related or Linux compilation-related questions if you will have any ;)
-----

Great, thank you. Let's continue things in this thread.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Just ordered a full Debian 10.8 on 16 DVDs. Whee!
DJATOM

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by DJATOM »

I usually pick netboot iso to install minimal desirable system and then installing extra stuff. Netboot iso is about 250-350 MB size, it's can easily fit onto Flash Drive (you can "burn" iso with rufus).
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

I'm just an aging squirrel so I go for the easiest way.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

DJATOM, any guidance on making a dual boot Linux/Win 10 install? I have the disks in hand and I'll buy an extra SSD for Linux tomorrow.

Curly and Wonder Woman are working on the garbage skipping stuff. Sherman is freaked out about counterfactual definiteness, so don't expect much from that direction. Albert is trying to straighten him out. Physics (reality) isn't derived from logic; at some point you have to accept that some things are just because they are.
DJATOM

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by DJATOM »

I just use different SSDs for win10 and linux. Both uses uefi boot. Windows ssd is the first one in boot device priority and using F8 (I have an Asus mainboard) key i'm selecting Linux drive to boot. But literally both windows 10 and Linux can be installed on the same drive, you just need to configure partitions properly. With separate drives you can apply auto partitioning and it will make all stuff for you. Just be sure to select proper device to write mbr boot sector if you willing to use mbr partitioning (you can choose it at DVD boot time: loading uefi mode will force uefi installation, while loading mbr disk mode will force mbr-way installation).
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Thank you, DJ. When do you hit F8? I have an ASUS too but I have to go F2 for BIOS first and then I can select the boot drive.
DJATOM

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by DJATOM »

I'm "spamming" F8 when display turned on first time.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

That works. ;)
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

@DJ

What system backup solution do you recommend for linux? I'm used to Macrium Reflect but it works only on Windows.

EDIT: Looks like I can just boot into windows and backup the linux partitions from there using Macrium.
DJATOM

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by DJATOM »

Either you can use rsync to copy certain directories onto remote host in realtime (it's mostly good for backups of sensitive realtime data such as sites or programming projects (maybe private Gitlab repository is better tool for the task)) or make periodic backups in offline mode with any suitable tool. I'm using Acronis True Image OEM which was shipped with my Kingston SSDs.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Thank you, DJ, for the information. I'm just going to do offline backups with Macrium Reflect under Win10. I can use DiskGenius to browse the ext file system if needed.

So, OK, I have a linux system running. Now it's on to NVDec for Linux.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Decided to port DGDemux first to get my paws wet. Here is the plan and current progress:

1. Strip down to bare minimum (lots of Win32 crap inherited from DGIndexNV). COMPLETED
2. Get rid of windows message loop and do everything in WinMain. COMPLETED
3. Ditch final win32 stuff (MessageBox etc.). COMPLETED
4. Convert to pure console exe: WinMain() -> main(). COMPLETED
5. Now it can be built with gcc on linux, converting system calls as needed.

Not sure what to do to port DGDemuxGUI, investigating... :scratch:
thechaoscoder

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by thechaoscoder »

Rocky wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 pm
Not sure what to do to port DGDemuxGUI, investigating... :scratch:
The GUI part sounds like a great community project. I think going cross-plattform could save a lot of work in this case.

The gui could be made in Python or Flutter. c# with avaloniaui.net is also an option.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll come back with more questions later. But for now I am curious about how one starts a "community project" in the linux world.
thechaoscoder

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by thechaoscoder »

You release the cli version and just wait a bit, someone will start making one :D
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Ooh, that's easy enough. :facepalm:

Maybe I can make it even easier by releasing DGDemuxGUI source code. :scratch:

Gonna give a link to a test version of the pure console .exe version of DGDemux later today or tomorrow.
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Here is a pure console version of DGDemux. Your testing would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDemux_console.rar
thechaoscoder

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by thechaoscoder »

Rocky wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:15 am
Ooh, that's easy enough. :facepalm:

Maybe I can make it even easier by releasing DGDemuxGUI source code. :scratch:

Gonna give a link to a test version of the pure console .exe version of DGDemux later today or tomorrow.
Seems to work great.

Oh and btw. depending on how DGDemuxGUI is coded you could potentialy use gtk without too much code changes
https://www.gtk.org
Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

Good to hear. Thank you for your testing.

And thank you for your gtk suggestion. I remain a linux n00b but I learn faster than the average moose. Hahaha!
Bullwinkle

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Bullwinkle »

Don't forget, I am not your average Moose. They say I am the paradigmatic instance of the species. Understated, for sure. Get over it!
Sherman

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Sherman »

If I say A and Winkie says not-A, what can be inferred? Something or nothing?
Curly

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Curly »

It's a fair question.

Rocky

DGDecNV on Linux

Post by Rocky »

linux...yuck. So I went to install Debian on the 7700K/2080 Ti system and it fails boot with some unintelligible "nouveau" error code. Apparently, nouveau (whatever it is) doesn't support 2080 Ti, at least in the disk set I have.

Everything worked on my 1080 Ti system, so maybe I'll swap out the card.

Anybody want to suggest a different distribution that can actually work with latest hardware?

EDIT: Boots fine with a 1050 Ti installed. :?: