[LOCKED] EAC3TO Bug Reports and Feature Requests Only

eac3to forked from madshi eac3to 3.36
DAE avatar
Bandits

EAC3TO_Mod Bug Reports and Feature Requests Only

Post by Bandits »

Not sure why your 3.40 version shows 0.00.
SomeHumanPerson

Post by SomeHumanPerson »

I don't understand why eac3to is re-encoding the AC3. That doesn't make sense. DGDemux doesn't re-encode when extracting the AC3 or merging THD+AC3, does it? Also, isn't libAften obsolete?
Curly

Post by Curly »

SomeHumanPerson wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 pm
I don't understand why eac3to is re-encoding the AC3. That doesn't make sense. DGDemux doesn't re-encode when extracting the AC3 or merging THD+AC3, does it? Also, isn't libAften obsolete?
It's because eac3to was developed long before Rocky created the thdmerge utility. I've added an item to the list in the other thread about that. For now, don't output thd+ac3, use the thdmerge utility after demuxing. We already have an item for obsolete decoders/encoders.

EDIT: That's all very well but I don't see any syntax to avoid creating thd+ac3 with the consequent re-encoding. I am discussing this with madshi.

EDIT2: You can get them separately with eac3to_mod: "g:\rips\cars_2" 2) 3: out.ac3 3: out.thd". But we'd like that to happen automatically with -demux. Then we can invoke the thdmerge utility if thd+ac3 is needed. For sure, I don't see why re-encoding is ever needed.
Curly Howard
Director of EAC3TO Development
Wonder Woman

Post by Wonder Woman »

You're a Superman for me, Curly. Last night was sublime.
Curly

Post by Curly »

Wonder Woman wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:31 am
Last night was sublime.
Meh.

Guys, there was a small downside to the INI file stuff. Let's say you have -fast in the INI file and you want to run in normal mode for a particular run. You'd have to edit the INI file, not good. Same for DN. So I added two new options, -normal and -removeDialnorm. Then you can always override the INI file on the command line. This will be in the next test version.
Curly Howard
skull

Post by skull »

Curly wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:54 am
Wonder Woman wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:31 am
Last night was sublime.
Meh.

Guys, there was a small downside to the INI file stuff. Let's say you have -fast in the INI file and you want to run in normal mode for a particular run. You'd have to edit the INI file, not good. Same for DN. So I added two new options, -normal and -removeDialnorm. Then you can always override the INI file on the command line. This will be in the next test version.
That is a great idea. Best of both worlds, for every use case. :)
Curly

Post by Curly »

madshi helped me to understand how the -demux option works and how to modify it. So it looks like I will be able to pull it off.
Curly Howard
Curly

Post by Curly »

Just got another reply from madshi explaining why the re-encoding is done. Basically it is a result of having to support HD DVD, whose THD streams do not have embedded AC3s. So in that case to make a thd+ac3 you have to decode the THD and then re-encode the result to AC3, finally combining them. We don't care about HD DVD so all that can be bypassed. madshi suggested leaving that in there for the special case of making a thd+ac3 from a thd elementary stream. Would users prefer to do that with an external transcode plus thdmerge? Maybe. We can leave it in there as it won't do any harm as long as it is well documented.

The first thing I will do is change the -demux operation to demux THD and AC3 separately. Then probably have an option to merge them using thdmerge code.
Curly Howard
SomeHumanPerson

Post by SomeHumanPerson »

I still care about HD-DVD, so I'd prefer that support for it isn't dropped (overall).

That said, the handling for THD+AC3 should definitely be modernized, and I'm not so sure that it should be up to eac3to_mod to do it. If I were doing that myself, I would encode the AC3 with an ... available ... official Dolby encoder and then use thdmerge. But if others would like to still let eac3to_mod do the whole thing from one command, then I agree that updating the AC3 encoder and calling thdmerge from eac3to_mod seems like a good plan.
Curly

Post by Curly »

Guys, please try to keep quoting to a minimum. Not saying you can't quote, but please do it judiciously.

HD DVD support will not be removed.
That said, the handling for THD+AC3 should definitely be modernized, and I'm not so sure that it should be up to eac3to_mod to do it. If I were doing that myself, I would encode the AC3 with an ... available ... official Dolby encoder and then use thdmerge.
The internal re-encoding will only be possible when needing a thd+ac3 from an input THD elementary stream (yes, you could do it externally too). Otherwise, both THD and AC3 are separately demuxed, and you get a merge if you ask for it with a (new) option. That's how DGDemux works.
Curly Howard
DAE avatar
Bandits

Post by Bandits »

I understand you mentioned -demux, but from a user's point of view it shouldn't matter how it is accomplished as long as what you ask for gets returned.

"eac3to.exe" "D:" 1) 3: "3.thd+ac3" - THD with Embedded AC3 (Blu-Ray compliant)
"eac3to.exe" "D:" 1) 3: "3.thd" - THD only
"eac3to.exe" "D:" 1) 3: "3.ac3" - Embedded AC3 only

It would be going backwards if you have to run multiple commands to get an elementary stream that was thd+ac3 to begin with. It might have to be a two-step process but eac3to does a lot of things in two steps already.

Is there a way to specify output directory on -demux? If not, can that be placed on a feature request? I've tried a few ways and can't seem to get it, but I usually only demux specific streams.
Curly

Post by Curly »

Nobody ever said you have to do it in two steps. Here's how it could look:

eac3to.exe D: 1) -demux -mergethd
or
eac3to.exe D: 1) 3: 3.thd 3: 3.ac3 -mergethd

Asking for a thd+ac3 extension would be deprecated or removed (except for the special case of
elementary THD->THD+AC3), simply because we don't want all the re-encoding to occur. That's
the main goal of all this: to get rid of re-encoding when all you need is a simple merge.
Is there a way to specify output directory on -demux? If not, can that be placed on a feature request? I've tried a few ways and can't seem to get it, but I usually only demux specific streams.
I'll add it to the list. Thank you for the suggestion.
Curly Howard
skull

Post by skull »

Bandits wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:49 am
This already works, you just don't use -demux at all, but a wildcard. Current syntax is as follows:

Code: Select all

eac3to.exe "input-path/file-name" "output-path/file-name.*"
Example command-lines:

"C:\EAC3TO\eac3to.exe" "C:\input\test.mkv" "E:\.*"

"C:\EAC3TO\eac3to.exe" "C:\input\test.mkv" "D:\output\test.mkv_.*"

"C:\EAC3TO\eac3to.exe" "C:\input\test_disc" 2) "D:\output\test_disc.*"
Give it a try. Cheers!
Curly

Post by Curly »

@skull

Thank you, but it's complex and doesn't work for -demux, which is what was asked for.
Curly Howard
Curly

Post by Curly »

Gents, instead of posting long logs and traces, please just post the name of the disk and a link to buy it, together with a simple text statement of the issues. Like this:

SQUIRREL_IN_MY_PANTS UHD
https://squirrel_city.com
Bad sync on the THD stream.

Then when I get to looking at it that will be the time for logs or whatever. Thank you.
Curly Howard
skull

Post by skull »

Curly wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:31 am
@skull

Thank you, but it's complex and doesn't work for -demux, which is what was asked for.
Totally fair, it would be ideal to use with -demux, thank you in advance if you implement. Maybe worth noting, the wildcard syntax output is exactly what one of the popular GUIs, UsEac3To v1.3.3 does when you run "demux", they don't actually use -demux when you click RUN with demux under global parameters, but rather the widlcard syntax.

P.S. I made a General Discussion thread now, so please go there for anything that isn't strictly a bug report or feature request.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

I did a clean-up in aisle 9. Now I have to take a shower.

Thank you, skull.
Curly

Post by Curly »

I've got the code changed to output separate THD and AC3 streams with -demux. Now I am going to do the -thdmerge option. Then I'll give y'all an updated test version.

ELEMENTAL UHD arrives Saturday so we can get started on the real bug fixing.
Curly Howard
DAE avatar
Thunderbolt

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Thunderbolt »

Curly wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 am
Folks, how do y'all feel about making -keepDialnorm the default, i.e., reverse its current sense?
just personally, Im not in favour of it. always remove it without exception.
Curly

Post by Curly »

You're not keeping up with developments, my friend. The default is to remove DN. That can be overridden in an INI file now. Please read the thread for details.
Curly Howard
Curly

Post by Curly »

Folks, here is a new build 3.40 test version.

* INI file handling changed so that you can always override the INI file on the command line.
Added options -normal (opposite of -fast) and -removeDialnorm (opposite of -keepDialnorm).

* The new thd+ac3 operation without re-encoding is implemented:

Do not directly give a .thd+ac3 extension when demuxing, as that will trigger old-style re-encoding.
Instead:

eac3to_mod g:\rips\cars_2 2) -demux
or
eac3to_mod g:\rips\cars_2 2) 3: out.thd 3: out.ac3

Both of these will create .thd, .ac3, and .thd+ac3 files without doing any re-encoding. Note that
the thd+ac3 file is always created, so there is no -mergethd option. I discussed it with madshi
and he prefers not to have extra options that can be avoided.

https://rationalqm.us/misc/eac3to_mod_3.40_test.rar

Your test results will be appreciated.
Curly Howard
Curly

Post by Curly »

Just added thdmerge.exe to the RAR file. Place thdmerge.exe in the same directory as eac3to_mod.exe.
Curly Howard
skull

Post by skull »

Curly wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:37 am
Just added thdmerge.exe to the RAR file. Place thdmerge.exe in the same directory as eac3to_mod.exe.
Excellent. Thanks for new version, will test and report back later today. :)
Curly

Post by Curly »

u r the man

Curly Howard
DG

Post by DG »

One good turn deserves another.