[LOCKED] EAC3TO Bug Reports and Feature Requests Only

eac3to forked from madshi eac3to 3.36
Rocky

[LOCKED] EAC3TO Bug Reports and Feature Requests Only

Post by Rocky »

[Moderator Note: We are now asking members to use the general discussion thread for feature requests, and to create new threads for bug reports. This will hopefully make things easier to find.]

madshi, author of the amazing eac3to utility, has mused several times about handing over the project to another developer(s), as he is primarily focused on other activities that put food on the table. We thought we may be able to assist in that by stepping up. Madshi has very kindly agreed to that and has worked with us to get a development environment working here in DG land. We have successfully completed a first build of what we now call eac3to_mod. We would like to get some testing just to be sure that we are building properly, etc.

So, for your edification, we present eac3to_mod 3.37. Use of the version number 3.37 denotes a few fixes for UHD/HEVC (done by madshi):

* The 'Video conversion not supported' problem is fixed, so UHD HEVC streams are handled fine now.
* The crash when processing EAC3 audio from BD/UHD when removing dialnorm is fixed.
* You can extract DolbyVision streams but only manually at this point, e.g.:

eac3to_mod 00000.m2ts 2: dolbyVision.h265

We plan to enhance the -demux option to include it automatically.

* Gaps correction for seamless branching, especially for THD works very well. The algorithm
that madshi developed is among the best in class, and may be the best in class. Let's see.

We are developing some performance improvements and other things for future versions. At an appropriate time we will transition to normal release notifications in the Binaries Notification thread. DG is considering appointing Curly as Director of EAC3TO_Mod development.

I hope you will all join us in thanking madshi for agreeing to this arrangement and for his continued support. His amazing tool deserves to live on forever! :salute:

https://rationalqm.us/misc/eac3to_mod_3.39_test.rar

Use the DLLs etc. from the eac3to 3.36 release. Easiest is to just put eac3to_mod.exe in the same directory as your eac3to 3.36 installation.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2023-01-08 / UPDATE: Please note the above first post is out of date, but unaltered for historical preservation. Latest version no longer has _mod in the name, just eac3to now, with the great madshi's blessing.

Latest official build can now be found here: https://rationalqm.us/eac3to
new_guy

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by new_guy »

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
Curly

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Curly »

knerk knerk pie in the eye
Curly Howard
Director of EAC3TO Development
SomeHumanPerson

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by SomeHumanPerson »

This is AWESOME news, and it's about time that a path forward for eac3to opened up.

Based on my experience here with getting DGDemux issues resolved, I think that it's fantastic that you folks have picked up the torch. Thank you so much for making this happen!

:bravo:
Rocky

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Rocky »

If you like, let them know in the eac3to thread over at doom9. They are all dressed in black, if you know what I mean.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1992981
SomeHumanPerson

EAC3TO_Mod Project

I probably won't make an account just for that, but it's hard to understand why anyone would consider this a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, eac3to was EOL when it sat for... what, two years? on a release that broke as much as it fixed.

I don't mean to speak ill of madshi in terms of his contributions, but he was clearly (and stated so himself) done with ongoing eac3to development. This is an eleventh-hour rescue by people genuinely qualified for the task.

So there's only one more thing left to discuss, I think...

<hushed whisper> eac3to_mod_linux </hw>

:popcorn:
Rocky

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Rocky »

I thought you had an account over there.
SomeHumanPerson wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:15 am
I probably won't make an account just for that, but it's hard to understand why anyone would consider this a bad thing.
They don't think it's bad, they apparently don't know about it yet.
So there's only one more thing left to discuss, I think...

<hushed whisper> eac3to_mod_linux </hw>
It's not ruled out.
DG

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by DG »

SomeHumanPerson wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:15 am
he was clearly (and stated so himself) done with ongoing eac3to
OK, but don't forget that he was all along actively looking for someone to contribute and possibly take over. He never wanted his beautiful child to die.
new_guy

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by new_guy »

Just curious, what are the implications for DGDemux. Will this kill it?
Natasha

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Natasha »

DG is considering appointing Curly as Director of EAC3TO_Mod development.
Oh, puhleeze.
Boris

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Boris »

new_guy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:19 pm
Will this kill it?
Can only hope. Sell treasuries, we have solid gold coins, priced for your Nana. Send PM for quote. Always thrilled to support you.
Baltasar

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Baltasar »

eleventh-hour rescue
Strong rhetoric there. Mathias is a great intellect, a giant in desktop multimedia, and a warm friend to many. Show respect!
SomeHumanPerson

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Rocky wrote:They don't think it's bad, they apparently don't know about it yet.
Apologies, I didn't actually go check out the thread and only assumed that it would have already been announced over there. Hopefully someone else can rectify that.

DG wrote:OK, but don't forget that he was all along actively looking for someone to take over. He never wanted it to die.
Oh, for sure, I'm sorry if I implied otherwise. My only thought in that direction at all was that it seemed surprising he hadn't been able to find anyone suitable sooner (if he was actively searching, versus hoping for someone to volunteer).

Baltasar wrote:
eleventh-hour rescue
Strong rhetoric there. Mathias is a great intellect, a giant in desktop multimedia, and a warm friend to many. Show respect!
No disrespect intended! It simply took a long time for this "passing of the torch" to happen, and in the meantime, everything else has progressed significantly, to the point where there was becoming less and less reason to bother with eac3to anymore.
hubblec4

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by hubblec4 »

Hi all

What great news,
thanks to madshi and also to the DG-Team to keep eac3to alive.

I think DGDemux will not be killed, we all need this tool and for Linux is eac3to not ready (atm).
DAE avatar
kedautinh12

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by kedautinh12 »

DAE avatar
jpsdr

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by jpsdr »

Hello.
Big news, and big thanks. :bravo:
I don't know if it's here to talk about, but there is something to look around, in a second time, when you'll have everything sure Ok.

Actually, for a THD track with DolbyAtmos, if you don't want to "loose" the DolbyAtmos track information, you have to extract with "-keepdialnorm".
I don't know if it's a correct behavior or if it's something to be fixed.
If it's something to be fixed, will you be able to check, in the appropriate time ?
frankaboy

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by frankaboy »

Heyo DG team :salute: ,
congratulations for fishing up eac3to and let it swims in DG land. :bravo:

This commitment shows once again your amazing value for the community.
Many thanks to madshi as well, for taking this decision.

I read that a linux version isn't ruled out, that another good news :) .

Many thanks to the DG team
:bow:
Frankaboy
I enjoy 3D movies
:popcorn:
DAE avatar
Guest 3

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Guest 3 »

Thanks for your job.

If I can help you to test or in other questions please ask me.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

EAC3TO_Mod Project

Post by Guest 2 »

Nice. :salute:
DAE avatar
Guest 3

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Guest 3 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:37 am
* The crash when processing EAC3 audio when removing dialnorm is fixed.
The 3.36 crash was only over EAC3 from BD's (with AC3 core), over eac3 with EAC3 core like created with Audition 2017 the 3.36 work fine.

Now the 3.37 work also with eac3 from BD's
But still decode all like 5.1 (the core AC3 or EAC3) ignoring the depending frames with the extra channels, maybe with updated libav dll's... (ffmpeg can't create 7.1 eac3 but decode it fine)
jpsdr wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:05 am
Actually, for a THD track with DolbyAtmos, if you don't want to "loose" the DolbyAtmos track information, you have to extract with "-keepdialnorm".
Work for me with 3.36:
eac3to v3.36
command line: "eac3to.exe" "C:\tmp\Core Universe.m2ts" 3: "C:\tmp\3eng.thd"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 2 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 0:03:08, 24p /1.001
1: h265/HEVC, 2160p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
2: h265/HEVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
3: TrueHD/AC3 (Atmos), 7.1 channels, 48kHz, dialnorm: -25dB
(embedded: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz)
4: E-AC3 EX, 7.1 channels, 1664kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -25dB
(core: AC3 EX, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -25dB)
5: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Extracting TrueHD stream...
[a03] Removing TrueHD dialog normalization...
[a03] Creating file "C:\tmp\3eng.thd"...
the .thd is still Atmos ok, here trying extract the E-AC3 crash (the 3.36, the 3.37 work fine).
DAE avatar
Thunderbolt

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Thunderbolt »

extracting DV streams does currently only work as raw .h265, but not as .mkv remux yet, correct?
SomeHumanPerson

EAC3TO Mod Project

This is a longer-term feature request, lower priority than what's on the docket so far, I think, but could you eventually look into deprecating any obsolete/unnecessary encoder/decoder libraries (especially user-provided external ones) to reduce complexity and user confusion, please?
Curly

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Curly »

SomeHumanPerson, can you be more specific? What do you mean by deprecate? Remove stuff? What stuff do you want removed? And why? Does their presence cause any problems?
Curly Howard
Curly

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Curly »

Guest 3 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:51 am
But still decode all like 5.1 (the core AC3 or EAC3) ignoring the depending frames with the extra channels, maybe with updated libav dll's... (ffmpeg can't create 7.1 eac3 but decode it fine)
Guest 3, can you explain this better, like at 5-year-old level? What is not done right, and how should it work? How wud I duplicate the issue?
Curly Howard
Curly

EAC3TO Mod Project

Post by Curly »

Thunderbolt wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:06 pm
extracting DV streams does currently only work as raw .h265, but not as .mkv remux yet, correct?
Dunno, honestly, I just heard of eac3to a couple days ago. You tell me. I know we have MKV muxing issues on the list already. Is this part of that?
Curly Howard