Spammers are back -- gonna switch to admin activation

admin

Post by admin »

Guys, the spammers are back. Even though you will never see any posts due to first-post moderation, I have to manually delete these guys. So we're switching to admin activation. Our notifications work good now so it should not be a problem. Well, the problem is I'll probably get these wankers' requests in my email. What to do? :scratch:

I'll start changing the registration Q&A more often. Last resort, make the forum by invitation only. You would send me an email saying why you should be a member, then I manually activate you. If you attempt to register you'd get an email explaining that. Before doing that let's see how bad my email gets hammered. :x
admin

Post by admin »

I changed the question and set up user email activation. Let's see how it goes.
admin

Post by admin »

So far so good. We had 3 just this morning before I made changes. After changing the Q&A and going to user activation instead of automatic, we've been clean. I think the bad guys have a database of known questions and answers, so probably we'll get solved again. If so, we'll move to the Sortables captcha extension. I prefer to minimize the number of hoops people have to jump through so I'd prefer not to have to do that.