Killed a wall wart today

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
Sherman

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Sherman »

Guys, you'll be so proud of me, I killed a wall wart today! Total elimination, no mercy. I was looking at this docking station connected to the 7700K machine, with its stupid cord and wall wart. Then I noticed like 8-10 other wall warts clogging up the AC outlets too. You know those things suck because they block off other outlets on the power strips. So I decided to start killing them to restore sanity to the AC system. I chopped off the wall adapter and connected its cord to a 4-pin PC power supply connector, ran that into the PC through an open PCI slot at the back and hooked it to the power supply 12Vdc peripherals chain. Works great. You may bow down now.
Curly

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Curly »

That's great, Sherm! Did you notice how heavy empty Sapporo cans are? You pick one up and you're like I didn't finish it?
Mr. Peabody

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Mr. Peabody »

Japanese engineering, don't you know?
Sherman

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Sherman »

Killed another one just now...the docking station on the main 11700K machine. I also mounted both stations to the tops of the machines (3M mounting tape, awesome stuff). Much tidier.

I hereby declare war on any AC device that covers more than one outlet when plugged in. You hear that, wall warts? I am coming for you all. In cases where the wart simply cannot be eliminated, I have a secret plan that I will disclose at an appropriate time. Maybe after my nap. The key is one outlet space per device, no hogging. Kill a wart (sounds like kilowatt, no?) a day, keeps the doctor away. I hate doctors.

I've been getting involved with electronics and we had this cheap scope powered by only a wall wart, with no AC ground. Are you kidding me? And the electrical noise it injected was disgusting. I mean, Bullwinkle's snoring is bad enough. So DG was kind enough to allow me to buy a refurbished Tektronix 2465B analog scope. Oh, what a joy to use. Paid about $600 for it. The seller re-capped it throughout and re-calibrated it. The fan is a bit loud but I can do surgery later if it gets out of hand. Admit it, I'm a genius.

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/used ... series.htm

And just in case anyone forgot, frogs do not give you wall warts.
Rocky

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Rocky »

Sherman wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am
I'm a genius.
I believe you Sherman, hanging around with Albert all day long. Don't break anything.
Sherman

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Sherman »

Here's my secret weapon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L ... 0DER&th=1

I've deployed one already and have a second on order.

Gonna power the UHD ripper disk from the 11700K machine now and murder that wall wart, and try to put the drive inside the case.

I also discovered the 7700K machine is on an electrical circuit with the sump pump! When the sump got stuck on Levi turned it off at the breaker and the 7700K got powered down. So I'm gonna run a new sump-pump-only circuit from the breaker box. Or should I not bother because we are moving to Texas?
Bullwinkle

Killed a wall wart today

Post by Bullwinkle »

Loose lips sink ships.

Sounds kick-ass to me, Sherm. You're rockin' it. So good to have all that extra hoof space under the lab desk. Don't kill yourself though. We need at least one flunky around here. Snort. :P