QuickSync indexer?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
JoeH

QuickSync indexer?

Post by JoeH »

Hey admin,

Check out this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1548287 Looks like QuickSync decoding performance blows everything out of the water, even VP5. Ever thought about making an indexer for QuickSync? Would something like that be feasible?

And Ivy Bridge is just around the corner. It should hopefully increase performance even more....
DAE avatar
mastrboy

Re: QuickSync indexer?

Post by mastrboy »

+1 for this if it's possible ;)
admin

Post by admin »

It's certainly a possibility. I'd have to get a processor with QuickSync. Can you recommend something that will drop in as a replacement for my i7 980X? I don't want to give up CPU power if possible.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

As i've also an i7@980, i've recently take a look at the new processors. New Xeon will have 8 cores, but others "standard" high CPU seems to be locked to 6 cores, and for now, price is not worth the slight improvement you can have from new CPU (unless money is not realy an issue).
DAE avatar
JoeH

Post by JoeH »

Yeah, unfortunately they changed the CPU socket, so there are now QuickSync CPUs for socket 1366. And the performance difference compared to a 980 is going to be null basically....

Wishing Intel would give motherboards and CPU's to QuickSync developers... :roll:
DAE avatar
JoeH

Post by JoeH »

Another option would be to get a Core i3 2100 with a really cheap LGA 1155 motherboard.

A full bare bones system with QuickSync can be put together for less than $300.
DAE avatar
mastrboy

Post by mastrboy »

neuron2 wrote:It's certainly a possibility. I'd have to get a processor with QuickSync. Can you recommend something that will drop in as a replacement for my i7 980X? I don't want to give up CPU power if possible.
Currently that would probably be 3960X (Sandy-bridge based), it's a little faster than 980X and it's still faster that current ivy-bridge CPU's (3770k), but if you wait a little longer a Ivy-bridge in the X series will surely come out which surpasses 3960X and 980X in performance...

Atleast when looking at x264 benchmarks from http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/142?vs=443

Edit: quicksync benchmarks for ivy-bridge: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy- ... 7-3770k/17
DAE avatar
fabje

Post by fabje »

If you want a CPU that has QuickSync and don't want to lose CPU power or even gain power you need to take the Intel i7 3770K.
And if this one is a little bit slower then your i7 980 you can overclock it very easy because the multiplier is unlocked :)
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

neuron2 wrote:It's certainly a possibility. I'd have to get a processor with QuickSync. Can you recommend something that will drop in as a replacement for my i7 980X? I don't want to give up CPU power if possible.
Did this ever get any further? Do you think that Intel Quick Sync could be useful and offer high decoding speeds and high quality de-interlacing?

It would be interesting seeing how quickly Intel QuickSync can decode H.264 video. Does anyone know what frames rates are possible? The de-interlace quality is also something I would like to see.
JoeH wrote:Yeah, unfortunately they changed the CPU socket, so there are now QuickSync CPUs for socket 1366. And the performance difference compared to a 980 is going to be null basically....

Wishing Intel would give motherboards and CPU's to QuickSync developers... :roll:
Yeah, come on Intel, Donald has considered writing an application to take advantage of Intel graphics and the only thing standing in the way is the hardware to do it. A motherboard and CPU is a small price to get a respected developer such as Donald Graft on board. Just look at the people who buy nVidia GPU's rather than AMD GPU's in order to use DG's software. I changed an ATI/AMD GPU that I had only recently purchased for a nVidia GPU in order to use DG's software.

A GPU for me only displays a picture and assists with decoding, I have no other use for it than that. Integrated graphics would be adequate for me if it did what I needed. I have just completed a system rebuild from a Core 2 Quad to a i7-3770K but ATM I am still using a nVidia GPU in order to use DG's software. If things changed, I might be willing to ditch the nVidia card and use integrated graphics. With the Intel Virtu graphics thingy, both can be used as required, providing the monitor has two inputs.
DAE avatar
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

+1

Definitely would love to see Intel work with Donald Graft on this.
My desktop has a really old Nvidia card. I bought it off a friend who wanted to buy a new laptop.
So now I finally have Nvidia HW decoding. But not without its compromises. The desktop is a single-core processor.
It's really outdated but runs fine.
I can now convert my blu-ray movies to dvd in a 10 hour span. 6-8 hours for video conversion, the rest is spent on demuxing, indexing, dealing with audio, etc.
That's a lot better than the 24 hour process I used to have for the desktop.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion G6 series with Intel HD Graphics.
I can use the Intel QuickSynch technology through Lav filters or FFDshow. I prefer Lav filters.

An indexer would be awesome.
I would feel a lot safer doing anything with an indexer.

For my HP Intel laptop, I use mostly ffms2. Which does well.
I'm too skeptical of any sort of DSS/DSS2 import for anything I do.
Granted, most of my work is very linear. I don't do anything that requires the editing to jump to various points in the video.
It goes straight from beginning to end.
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Count me in. I just rebuilt my main PC with new components and went from AMD to nVIDIA. HUGE performance boost to my encoding as I do a LOT to put my media on my streaming server so I don't have to constantly change DVDs.

Went from an Intel i7 920 (LGA1366) to an i7 4770K (LGA1150). New MB is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 with Intel 4600 on-board video and 16GB RAM. I added an EVGA GeForce GTX 650. Don't have actual numbers, but 1st pass went from ~90 fps to ~140+ fps and 2nd pass from ~17 fps to above 30 fps consistently and seen it as high as 40 fps.

If QuickSync is that much faster from what I'm reading, then it would be great to see an indexer for it too. :)
---
omay, arrylay, curlyq & associates
admin

Post by admin »

The newest Nvidia VP6 is comparable to QuickSync for basic decoding and is much faster for deinterlacing.

There is a QuickSync version of DG tools but the indexer is CLI only. Look on my main software page (Mine) for the QuickSYnc version.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Sweet! I'll take a look. I have some encoding going this morning and I took a peak and it happened to be doing pass 1 and it was at ~192 fps. Insane. :) Thank you.
---
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you find it useful.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I had a chance to play with this just now and noticed the file inside the DGI file is not fully qualified, i.e.,

Code: Select all

video1.mkv 14183246537
I did a comparison between files created with NV and IM and they're identical so no issues. Will see what the encoder logs show between the two after the encoding is done. I'm using the automatic setting right now (engine=0).
---
admin

Post by admin »

If you want full paths, then change to this in your dgindexim.ini file:

Full_Path_In_Files=1
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

neuron2 wrote:If you want full paths, then change to this in your dgindexim.ini file:

Full_Path_In_Files=1
Cool, thanks. Are the INI entries pretty much the same as DGDecNV?
---
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, but the CUDA-related ones are ignored.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

neuron2 wrote:Yes, but the CUDA-related ones are ignored.
Yep, thanks. So, just for fun, here's what I saw today. Encoding a full HD source (AVC) to MPEG2 DVD via HCEnc 026.
DGDecNV 1st pass:

pass 1 encoding time:            0:14:01 (840.97 s)
fps:                             128.6
DGDecIM 1st pass:

pass 1 encoding time:            0:17:55 (1075.25 s)
fps:                             100.6
Pass 2 uses the lossless file provided by HCEnc so I'm not sure if pass 2 is relevant here, but here are the stats anyway.
DGDecNV 2nd pass:

pass 2 encoding time:            0:10:32 (631.57 s)
fps:                             171.3
DGDecIM 2nd pass:

pass 2 encoding time:            0:10:38 (638.43 s)
fps:                             169.4
Lossless is on a SSD drive and pass 2 of IM had another process using that drive as well which is why it's a few seconds slower. I had forgotten I had that running on the same drive.
---