Which DG* Tool to use for frame saving?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
ryszardzonk

Which DG* Tool to use for frame saving?

Post by ryszardzonk »

Hi,

I have been using DGIndex and DGAVCIndex for frame saving long time with great results. First one for the DVB-S content and second for the DVB-S2 one. I create projects with one of the DG* tools as it seems as the best way to cut out the commercials from the stream before encoding by simply using only specified part of the stream, however I have hit some limitations of that software that I am not able to find the appropriate solution for.

1) Some of the encodings issues I make that are streamed trough DVB-S2 seem to be related to the http://neuron2.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=112 where regardless of the encoder settings recordings with some HD content I get number of glitches. Now is there any way to get around of that issue by using those tools or rather DGDecNV is the only way to go? If DGDecNV is the appropriate way to go then I hope it will work without the need for Nvidia card. I am OK to go with CPU speed only as long as I know the software works. After all the tools I use now make use of the CPU Power only.

2) The second issue is of less importance as there are known workarounds, but still would be very welcome as it would mean less time spend doing extra work. I am not sure how many of your users records content with IPBox HD DGS Sattelite receivers, but it have the feature which any *.trp file recorder with it have extra content in it letting the receiver know whether the recorded content is encrypted or not which works ok with the tuner itself, but when one wants to load even the unencrypted file in the DGIndex must first set the PIDs manually as the software does not recognize PMT stream info properly or cut out few MBs from the file for DGAVCIndex to recognize file at all. Having that said would You care of taking a look at the samples recorded with the DGS IPBox HD to see if proper file recognition is possible?

PS Great tools 8-)
ryszardzonk
admin

Re: Which DG* Tool to use for frame saving?

Post by admin »

1. DGAVCDec does not exist for me anymore. If you want to process streams that fail with DGAVCDec you will need to use DGDecNV, which absolutely requires a supported Nvidia graphics adapter, or you can try DGAVCDecDI, but it supports only AVC video, and you will need a license also for DiAVC, which is used by DGAVCDecDI for decoding.

Some people have success with FFMpegSource() or one of its variants, or DSS2(), but you will find they have warts and issues, and if your stream hits one of them, you're just out of luck.

2. Sure, I'd be happy to look at your streams. Post links here.
DAE avatar
ryszardzonk

Post by ryszardzonk »

1. In that case seems that DGDecNV is the best way to go just if one has Nvidia card. I wish it did not require it as seems among new cards available (GT 630 and above) there is no card with silent (heatsink only) design and I am quite happy with the silent Saphire Radeon 7750 that I purchased recently.
As far as the DiAVC + DGAVCDecDI goes I had no actual problem using DGIndex for DVB-S/MPEG2 besides the one mentioned below so it would be fine as long as this combination would be able to properly work with stuff that DGAVCDec would not example being those recorded from Discovery Historia http://bigvo.dyndns.org/dvb/dgs/Sekrety.zip

2. I took few samples which I put in zip file as besides *.trp files there is also some additional information that gets written when the files are created which I do not now if they will be helpful but might be worth a shot.

http://bigvo.dyndns.org/dvb/dgs/
admin

Post by admin »

Results are mixed,

I tried Sekrety, Barney, and Planeta. Neither plays in any software player I have.

For Sekrety the video plays fine in both DGIndexNV and DGAVCIndexDI. But there is no audio detected by either of them. If I do a raw PID list I see a private stream but when I set the audio PID to that there is still no audio detected. Both the audio and video appear marked as scrambled, though obviously the video is not.

For Barney, I get both audio and video in DGIndexNV but DGAVCIndexDI thinks it is MPEG1 video and aborts. I would need to update DGAVCDecDI to fix that.

Planeta works for both audio and video in both DGIndexNV and DGAVCDecDI.

If your streams won't play in SW players it's likely my tools are going to have problems with them too.
DAE avatar
ryszardzonk

Post by ryszardzonk »

Thank You for taking a quick look!
This is exactly the idea that I tried to record samples of as many streams as possible that would be different in nature. All those files would play just fine if the very beginning of the files would be cut of completely for which there probably are better tools but I use Free-File-Splitter-v5.0.1189 which does require one to join the split files back again. If You take the Sekrety file for instance I split it into 500Kb parts and joined them back together without the first part and when I want to save the project it does recognize it has AC3 stream within as it is properly saved. Therefore I conclude that my box does something to the header of those files that is written on the very start of it making it somewhat not standard approach where it keeps information about whether it is encrypted or not. I hope it would be easy to spot where at exactly and to avoid that particular section. I am fine with the application having option to read the stream info not from the very start of the file but few hundred kilobytes further down the stream if required.

This would definitely save me additional time It takes me to cut beginning out those files

PS It took me by surprise that Planeta file worked just fine but this is likely because the DVB-S2 stream on the satellite in unencrypted so therefore it is likely that my box didn't mangle with it and didn't set any crypted/decrypted flag on it

EDIT: all files play just fine for me with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema without doing any cutting...
DAE avatar
ryszardzonk

Post by ryszardzonk »

hi,

I wonder have You got any chance to update Your software or planning to do so in the future to recognize those particular streams or is it not likely this would happen?

PS I really hope it makes it for X-Mas or New Years Eve :scratch: