Which VP engine on which card ?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Which VP engine on which card ?

Post by jpsdr »

I've searched a little in the forum, but i've not found a post or a thread with this information.
I vaguely remember that maybe there was a thread like this.
Well, what i'm looking for, it's to know which card have the VP5 and VP6 engine.
I would like to know what can replace my GT520, for the same price and the same place used (small card, one slot), and keep at leat VP5 engine.
DAE avatar
kypec

Re: Which VP engine on which card ?

Post by kypec »

Maybe this Wikipedia link will be useful for you and others. ;)
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, kypec, for the link. jpsdr, a good choice is the GTX 750 Ti.

Why are you replacing the GT520?
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I don't replace for now. I just begun to look out for a replacement in case of failure of my GT520.
The issues with GTX750Ti are :
- Not so inexpensive (around 150$ vs around 40$ at the time for GT520).
- 2 slots used : Not possible for me, card is too big, my PC video has 5 HDD, and will always have. I need a small card.

Otherwise, i would be interested in a double frame rate decoding speed, so, if i can find the exact same thing than the GT520
(cheap very small card) with VP6, i'll change (and keep my GT520 as a back-up).
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

jpsdr wrote:- 2 slots used : Not possible for me, card is too big, my PC video has 5 HDD, and will always have. I need a small card.
You're sure the fan/heatsink means it won't fit? This is one of the things I struggle with when I look at these things--maybe I don't know where to look in the specs:
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Pictures of GTX750i i've seen, cards have length at least of of 50% more, and have 2 slots. Are you sure this is a picture of a GTX750i ?
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

jpsdr wrote:Pictures of GTX750i i've seen, cards have length at least of of 50% more, and have 2 slots. Are you sure this is a picture of a GTX750i ?
From this review which says it's the Nvidia version--I've not surfed on buying that one per se:

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/gra ... of-maxwell

Alright can't find it on Newegg so that MUST MEAN that it doesn't exist!? :shock:

OK next I go to Nvidia's own site and can't find it there "for purchase" either, but then guru3d reviews one and they say it is nvidia's "reference model" whatever that means. Good luck finding one I guess! :oops:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nv ... iew,2.html
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I can see that indeed, except the specific NVidia card, all the others GTX 750Ti seems to be big cards.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Ok, thanks for informations, i'll see. I'm only interested in VP engine, i don't need the 3D features. Ill propably wait and see if a card model identical to GT520 or GT610 in feature/size will eventualy be manufactured, because i don't need more.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Groucho2004 wrote:The NVIDIA reference design is something card manufacturers receive on which they base their individual designs. You can't buy such a card.
Good grief. I do have to wonder though: NVIDIA does really design-and-test-and-manufacture some number of "reference design" cards with no plans or intent to sell them directly? Seems crazy to me, that they would have a PCB built-and-populated with no intent to sell? How can they afford to do that, and why wouldn't they at least sell/lease the rights to somebody to have the very same card built at the very same mfr location as the reference, with another name on it...????
:?
admin

Post by admin »

Reference boards are an essential thing for semiconductor makers to be able to 1) verify their silicon functionality, and 2) manage transfer of the technology to the OEMs. It would be crazy not to do it! Regarding marketing the reference boards, they are typically sold to OEMs but not end users, because they have BOMs that are not optimized for profitable mass production, but rather to enable all possible features that OEMs may wish to implement. For example, STMicroelectronics has a dedicated "boards group" that does nothing but design and build reference designs. It's not a loss leader at all because a typical reference board for STB silicon is sold to OEM's for circa $10,000.

If the semiconductor maker was to market its own products it would undercut the OEM relationship. You don't want to compete with your customers! Let each concentrate on what they do best: the semiconductor maker creates silicon IP, the OEM manufactures and markets boards.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Good explanation Donald, thanks for that. I was unaware of the pricing re: OEM reference boards/designs.

Makes me wonder now about the reviews I linked earlier, showing the reference board. These must just be "loaners" then, or even giveaways I suppose...
admin

Post by admin »

A review in a major publication may justify supplying them with a reference board. It's all about marketing!