Which VP engine on which card ?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
admin

Re: Which VP engine on which card ?

Post by admin »

Reference boards are an essential thing for semiconductor makers to be able to 1) verify their silicon functionality, and 2) manage transfer of the technology to the OEMs. It would be crazy not to do it! Regarding marketing the reference boards, they are typically sold to OEMs but not end users, because they have BOMs that are not optimized for profitable mass production, but rather to enable all possible features that OEMs may wish to implement. For example, STMicroelectronics has a dedicated "boards group" that does nothing but design and build reference designs. It's not a loss leader at all because a typical reference board for STB silicon is sold to OEM's for circa $10,000.

If the semiconductor maker was to market its own products it would undercut the OEM relationship. You don't want to compete with your customers! Let each concentrate on what they do best: the semiconductor maker creates silicon IP, the OEM manufactures and markets boards.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Good explanation Donald, thanks for that. I was unaware of the pricing re: OEM reference boards/designs.

Makes me wonder now about the reviews I linked earlier, showing the reference board. These must just be "loaners" then, or even giveaways I suppose...
admin

Post by admin »

A review in a major publication may justify supplying them with a reference board. It's all about marketing!