[RESOLVED] Support for HEVC?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
Sharc

[RESOLVED] Support for HEVC?

Post by Sharc »

Any plans to include HEVC (H.265) in DGdecNV some time in the future? :scratch:
admin

Re: Support for HEVC?

Post by admin »

Sure, but I have to wait for support in CUVID. I'll see if I can find out about when that is expected.
admin

Post by admin »

Ah, it seems that the production release of CUDA 6.5 adds support for HEVC, so I will start looking into it. I had been using an early beta version, which did not have HEVC support.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Good news, thanks! I hope it will be compatible with my 9600GS still.
admin

Post by admin »

If 9600GS works with 2048 then you will be fine with the HEVC version.

EDIT: I was wrong. You need a GTX 750/950/960. 9600GS will need to go to the video card graveyard I'm afraid.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Happy to say that my 9600GS works well with 2048. Looking forward ....
If I can contribute with testing with my limited computer and video knowledge just let me know ;)
admin

Post by admin »

I'll certainly take advantage of your expertise at the right moment. I've begun implementation but it's a significant development effort, so don't look for an alpha in days, but rather weeks or months.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

No rush! Thanks.
DAE avatar
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

Astra have recently started broadcasting a 12 minute 4K/HEVC loop on 28.2 East.
Here's the TS file if it's of any use:
Filename: SES.4K.Test.Transmission.2160p.UHDTV.h265.ts
Filesize: 1.38GB
http://tinyurl.com/pyyys2s
MeteorRain

Post by MeteorRain »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdr9m6rsv3tffrt/t.hevc?dl=0

Let me contribute a small HEVC 10bit clip.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Out of curiosity: Any progress with DGdecNV for HEVC .... :scratch:
admin

Post by admin »

Good timing. I just started playing around with it again today. I'll keep you informed here. The first step is to get the nVidia decode sample working.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Good news. Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Oy, looks like I need to buy a GTX 950/960 for full HW decode or a 750 for hybrid SW/HW decode. :o Earlier cards won't work at all.

The best I have right now is a 620 OEM with GF119. :(
admin

Post by admin »

Got my grubby hands on a GTX 950 today. :lol:

Newegg delivers faster than Amazon and it was cheaper. Who'd a thunk it? I tried Newegg only because Amazon hosed me on a Roku 3 order. When I clicked Add to Cart, it was showing in stock and shipped by Amazon. But after a week I found myself on a backorder with some 3rd-party supplier (FBA program). That was pointpod, and they responded rudely to my WTH inquiry. Amazon blamed pointpod and pointpod blamed Amazon. I bitched and moaned but they wouldn't just ship me the in-stock goods. They said I had to cancel and re-order, but I had already ordered from in stock, so I told them to shove it. Now I am on boycott of Amazon until there is no alternative for my purchases. None of this nonsense at Newegg.
admin

Post by admin »

GTX 950 installed and working as primary alongside a GT 520 on my i7 980X machine running Win 10.

Back to the decode sample. It has to be modified to do HEVC. Theoretically, it should be simple.
admin

Post by admin »

It's looking good. I have successfully decoded and displayed a raw 1080p .265 file using the nVidia sample CUVID decode application. The changes to the sample application were indeed easy (one line of code changed and one added). I don't know why nVidia didn't do that. :scratch:

Now let's see if things work in DGIndexNV...

Another thought I had was that if I build the NV12-to-RGB24 .cu file to PTX (instead of .cubin) then I won't have to compile for each architecture and I'll be able to upgrade CUDA versions without losing any older cards. I'll look further into that as time permits.

Finally, I have revamped the GPU listing code to use the database from https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/. That should allow me to better keep up with new cards. At some point I will slipstream that. It now prints the device ID (e.g., 10DE:1049 for my GT 620 OEM) as well as the GPU core type. The first number of the device ID is the nVidia vendor ID 10DE and the second is the device number for the chipset. You can look it up at the linked site and see that it is a GT 620 OEM. I'll refresh from the site at every slipstream so that we are always up-to-date, or very nearly so.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

Would you happen to know what the minimum GPU/driver requirements are for H.265 decoding, if it isn't something that all VP5+ cards are capable of out of the box?
admin

Post by admin »

As far as I can determine, you need VP6 for partial acceleration and VP7 for full acceleration. I don't think VP5 can decode HEVC.
admin

Post by admin »

I've got the HEVC stream detection code working. Now the hard slog begins... :cry:
admin

Post by admin »

Major step completed: I am playing raw HEVC video in DGIndexNV. That verifies the CUVID decoding with my video source and NALU parsing. Now I have to do all the ancillary stuff that DGIndex does (timeline navigation, info dialog, indexing, etc.), i.e., the hard part. But theoretically there are no obstacles to completing it now. :wow:
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:If 9600GS works with 2048 then you will be fine with the HEVC version.

EDIT: I was wrong. You need a GTX 750/950/960. 9600GS will need to go to the video card graveyard I
'm afraid.
Too bad, your EDIT..... :)
admin

Post by admin »

It should have gone to the graveyard long ago, actually. :ugeek:
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Well, it has served the purpose well, so far ....
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

admin wrote:As far as I can determine, you need VP6 for partial acceleration and VP7 for full acceleration.
Thank you. Perhaps I will upgrade if nVidia releases some useful cards in the 1000 series. :)