[RESOLVED] Support for HEVC?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Re: Support for HEVC?

Post by Aleron Ives »

admin wrote:That moldy 9600 won't take you into the coming UHD world.
On the other hand, unless you can upgrade your eyes, you might not get much benefit from entering the UHD world, anyway. :lol: As far as I can tell, it's more about selling TVs (since the 3D push didn't work) than actually improving the viewing experience. In any event, I'm hoping nVidia comes out with some better upgrades for the 1000 series, as I didn't find the specs of the 960 to be good enough to warrant replacing my 760, so I'll have to forego HEVC support for the time being. My hardware players don't support UHD or HEVC anyway, so I can't use them as input or output formats. A GTX 960 would be a pretty huge upgrade from a 9600, though. I upgraded from a 6800 to my 760. :wow:
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Aleron Ives wrote: As far as I can tell, it's more about selling TVs (since the 3D push didn't work) than actually improving the viewing experience.
I totaly agree with you on the commercial part, UHD is more to try to sell new TVs. But, nevertheless, there is a viewing improvement, but it's far away less obvious than going from SD to FHD...
admin

Post by admin »

CRA handling is a bit of a challenge, as the decoder discards the preceding RASL pictures, complicating random access. Fortunately, I have a working strategy for it. X265.exe and others use CRAs rather than IDRs (except for the first GOP of the stream).

Anybody ever see BLA pictures? If so, I would appreciate a sample. Thank you.
admin

Post by admin »

Everything is working great with CRAs. I ran into an issue with tiles, basically CUVID fails on any stream using tiles*. But as usual nVidia support is outstanding and I am informed that the bug is trivial and will be fixed in an upcoming driver. Still lots of time to get ready for UHD bluray.

BTW, I am also informed that HEVC 10-bit support will be added to CUVID, so we will be ready to rock and roll. It will support dithering down to 8-bit for feeding 8-bit Avisynth, but will also be able to deliver 10-bit to 10-bit processing chains. It's up to DGDecodeNV to decide what to give to the Avisynth host.

Next up, HEVC in MKV support (TS just works and MP4 comes later). Then I will probably release an alpha as we need to discover any other problematic streams. Also, I changed DGIndexNV to support higher zooms, as UHD was pushing the buttons off screen, oy! I have Zoom 1 for full size, Zoom 1/2 for half size, and Zoom 1/4 for, you guessed it, quarter size. I experimented with moving all the navigation stuff to the top of the window below the menu bar, but it looked ugly, so I went with the different zoom factors instead. We should be using UHD monitors with our development PCs, but until that day zooming works fine.

* Introduction of a tile, a new concept, is yet another innovation of H.265/HEVC standard compared to H.264/AVC standard. Tiles divide the frame into a grid of rectangular regions that can be independently decoded/encoded. Tiles opens up new possibilities to increase encoding and decoding efficiency of video data using parallel processing on modern multicore desktop and mobile platforms. [Elecard]
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

... At first glance, it seems similar to slices in H264 (from the few i've read about slices), but i don't know deeply enough, and i may misunderstand things...
admin

Post by admin »

That's right, jpsdr. I think the idea is that tiles are less complex to use than AVC's slices with FMO.

HEVC in MKV is working now in DGDecNV. I'll add MP4 support and then release an alpha.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

admin wrote:That's right, jpsdr. I think the idea is that tiles are less complex to use than AVC's slices with FMO.
In that case, saying Introduction of a tile, a new concept, is yet another innovation of H.265/HEVC standard compared to H.264/AVC standard may be not totaly true, that's what's somehow bothering me (And if i understand properly, you know you just quote [Elecard], so it's not you claiming that).
That's all.
admin

Post by admin »

I don't see anything "not totally true" there. And the statement continues on to describe tiles compared to slices, but I didn't give the full quote.
admin

Post by admin »

MP4 support for "hvc1" is working. I am looking for an "hev1" sample file to get that working. If anyone has one, please let me know ASAP. Thank you. Then I will release an alpha.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

hev1 seems to be quite uncommon (?). All I found were hvc1. Should you post the request in some of the other forums?
admin

Post by admin »

I've implemented it per spec, so I will just wait and see how it plays out.
admin

Post by admin »

I ran AvsMeter on a UHD 80Mbps HEVC elementary stream (main profile, main tier, level 5.1) and got 100fps with 9% CPU usage on my GTX 950. Interestingly, in DGIndexNV with Disable Display set, I got 130fps. The difference is that DGIndex avoids the NV12-to-YV12 conversion when Disable Display is set [maybe the conversion could be optimized ;) ]. I think 100fps delivered to Avisynth for high-bitrate UHD is pretty good.

I'll make an alpha shortly.
admin

Post by admin »

I have uploaded to the usual binaries area a test version of 2051 adding HEVC support.

http://rationalqm.us/binaries.html

I would appreciate your test results. Even if you do not have a card that supports HEVC, your testing will be appreciated to ensure that I have not broken any existing functionality.

Following is the content of the included file Notes.txt:

DGDecNV 2051 test version
-------------------------

This build adds support for HEVC video. Please be aware of the following
limitations:

* The DGIndexNV.ini file format has changed, so please delete your existing
.ini file.

* HEVC requires an nVidia device that supports HEVC, such as the
GTX 750/950 etc. If your device does not support HEVC and you attempt
to open an HEVC stream, a popup error message will appear.

* 10-bit HEVC streams are not yet supported. Only 4:2:0 streams
are supported.

* Tiles are broken in the current nVidia driver. This will be fixed
in a future release of the driver. Update: Fixed in 358.87.

* Frame/field repeats are not yet implemented. If you have an HEVC
stream with repeat flags, please contact me.

Thank you!
admin

Post by admin »

Fixed a regression: audio detection during play/preview of PS/TS was broken. Please re-download.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I look forward to trying it out when I will be back home, after Nov. 24.
Thank you for the continued support of DGDecNV.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I did some first basic tests with my 9600GS for AVC (m2ts), interlaced VC-1 and mpeg-2 sources: So far no issues with respect to the existing functionality......
What is the meaning of the FPS in the 2nd last line of the log file? Looks like a random number.
admin

Post by admin »

Sharc wrote:I did some first basic tests with my 9600GS for AVC (m2ts), interlaced VC-1 and mpeg-2 sources: So far no issues with respect to the existing functionality......
Good to hear. Thank you.
What is the meaning of the FPS in the 2nd last line of the log file? Looks like a random number.
It's just a dump of what was in the field when the program is closed. It's the display rate for the last preview/play operation.
admin

Post by admin »

I've put a 2051 build up there with the MPEG2 bug fixed and all docs updated. I want to release this version so please let me know if you find any issues.
admin

Post by admin »

I'm marking this resolved. If you run into any issues please make a thread in the DGDecNV subforum.
Selur

Re: [RESOLVED] Support for HEVC?

Post by Selur »

Small question regarding the hevc support, is there some correlation between the HEVC support and the Compute Capability from https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus#collapse2?
Or some overview which gpus support hevc?

Cu Selur
admin

Post by admin »

See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

Feature sets E and F are what you are interested in. Search for HEVC on the page.

Cards with full HW decode are currently 750, 950, 960.
Selur

Post by Selur »

Thanks for the info! :)