Problem joining mpeg files

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
MatLz

Problem joining mpeg files

Post by MatLz »

Hi Don,
A long without speaking to you since the "other" forum. Hope you are fine.

I'm in trouble joining TV mpeg files I did record with my rescue cheap receiver.
The player in the receiver plays the recording from the beginning to the end perfectly.

First I did assume that there were 1kB of garbage at the beginning of the files (not the first of course) but after searching more, it seems that it is 64kB. Am I right ?
So I used DGSplit to ignore the 65536 first bytes.
However when I try joining the files with the binary copy ( copy /b ) there is audio clipping and video artefacts... so that is not good...

Is there also some garbage at the end of the files ?

I uploaded the beginning and the end of each file (cuted with DGSplit) if you can help me.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/di6qsg
Thank you.
admin

Re: Problem joining mpeg files

Post by admin »

Hi MatLz!

Downloaded and investigating...
admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, but it doesn't look good. It appears that they use some kind of proprietary scheme to join the segments when playing. If you play the file 1_e.mpg in DGIndex, you see a block error at the end, where they have encoded their proprietary stuff. Also, the start of 2_b.mpg has some silliness (packet length = 0).

Without knowing the details of their proprietary scheme, I can't do much, even if I wanted to.

Can you configure the capture module to use transport instead of MPEG program? That might act differently. What are the capture unit details?
DAE avatar
MatLz

Post by MatLz »

Thx to have investigated.
What a pity they do some weird things like this... I was hoping some dummy garbage easily removable :-(

IIRC yeah there is a "ts" mode recording but it is more silly because there still are segmented files (around 900mB each) and with a strange file extension .dvr .

The receiver is a Strong SRT5203 and there is no usefull information in the paper which comes with it.

For my next recordings it won't be a problem because I will use my all-day-use receiver...
It is just that time I had to use this one (in my room) because I had people at home.
DAE avatar
MatLz

Post by MatLz »

Note that I have the dvd of the Live at Pompeii but this version is the one I watched when I was young and is unavalable anywhere...

Well, I will have to use Photoshop and Audacity to try to correct the artifacts...