[RESOLVED] Update on your latest paper please

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

[RESOLVED] Update on your latest paper please

Post by gonca » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm

How is your latest paper going?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Update Please

Post by admin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for asking.

I found out I have 1.5 months more for delivering it than I had originally thought. So I have been doing extra reading, research, and note-taking prior to starting the outline. I have one more set of papers to read and then my process is to make the outline, place the notes generated in the research phase in their proper places in the outline, and then start fleshing the notes into full text. I write all my papers that way. I already have the simulations I need from my last arXiv paper for the original research part of things.

So cruising along with all systems go. ;)

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 pm

good to hear that

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 pm

A little of topic but your modesty is remarkable
I'm not that familiar with the DG stuff but my understanding is that it is more reliable for any scripts requiring random access, that it works for some streams that may fail with DirectShowSource(), such as interlaced VC1, and that in some cases it can speed up transcoding. On the other hand, it requires a modest donation and it may not bring much to the table for your simple BDRB rebuilding jobs, although I also understand it is used by a good number of BDRB users.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:57 pm

He he. The blue part was an inside joke.

In my long life I eventually learned a few things about people and myself and I am still learning. I think everybody that is lucky enough to be smart, and that includes the vast majority of people that frequent video forums, goes through a cerebral narcissistic phase, some worse than others. I am happy to have emerged from that to a considerable extent, especially so since many never emerge from it. I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention. Fulfillment comes from within for normal people (as opposed to narcissists).

Another practical matter is that modesty and humility avoids triggering the narcs out there. Since they are intent on bringing people down, if you appear as nothing special, you don't get targeted. If you are good at something or successful at something, automatically 5-10% of people will hate you and want to destroy you. It's a highly verified human psychological fact. We could get into how narcissism can be evolutionarily stable. I think I understand why; maybe it could make an interesting paper.

Your thoughts?

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm

You are what you are, if you are smart then you are smart, and if others attack you for it then consider the source, walk away with a smile and ignore them.
I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention
All this means is that you have reached a good level of self confidence, confident but not overconfident, you are comfortable in your own skin as it were.
By the way, your philosophical roots are showing

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:19 pm

For sure, gonca, but sometimes that walking away thing is hard, because the attackers are so good at pressing your buttons and a normal person thinks one can settle debates with logic and facts, but narcs don't work that way.
gonca wrote: By the way, your philosophical roots are showing
Good to hear!

Sharc
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by Sharc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:33 am

admin wrote:He he. The blue part was a bit of an inside joke.

In my long life I eventually learned a few things about people and myself and I am still learning. I think everybody that is lucky enough to be smart, and that includes the vast majority of people that frequent video forums, goes through a cerebral narcissistic phase, some worse than others. I am happy to have emerged from that to a considerable extent, especially so since many never emerge from it. I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention. Fulfillment comes from within for normal people (as opposed to narcissists).

Another practical matter is that modesty and humility avoids triggering the narcs out there. Since they are intent on bringing people down, if you appear as nothing special, you don't get targeted. If you are good at something or successful at something, automatically 5-10% of people will hate you and want to destroy you. It's a highly verified human psychological fact. We could get into how narcissism can be evolutionarily stable. I think I understand why; maybe it could make an interesting paper.

Your thoughts?
Well, some people have an attitude like

Paragraph 1: I am always right
Paragraph 2: Should I be proven to be wrong, then automatically Paragraph 1 comes into force

... and continue to print their wisdom in bold letters....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:48 am

Yes, and that's why gonca is so right about the need to walk away, as facts and logic are impotent with these people.

One interesting quirk is that these people must have the last word and you will never be able to have the last word with these people. The most decisive and persuasive refutation will always be dismissed and answered with further nonsense. If one cares to play this game at all, one can cleverly trick the person into making such a ridiculous and absurd reply that there is no need for further comment and the last word works against the person. They go on oblivious, thinking they have "won". It's really quite amusing to a normal person.

With the hard-core narcs, after you stop responding they become desperate for the narc supply and start posting more and more trying to hoover you back in so they can continue to display their awesomeness. Pathetic.

The best way to beat a narc is to ignore them. It wounds them deeply.

gonca
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by gonca » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 pm

The best way to beat a narc is to ignore them
Precisely, and the lack of response drives them nuts because it makes them realize that you consider them to be irrelevant.