[RESOLVED] Update on your latest paper please

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar

[RESOLVED] Update on your latest paper please

Post by Guest »

How is your latest paper going?
admin

Re: Update Please

Post by admin »

Thanks for asking.

I found out I have 1.5 months more for delivering it than I had originally thought. So I have been doing extra reading, research, and note-taking prior to starting the outline. I have one more set of papers to read and then my process is to make the outline, place the notes generated in the research phase in their proper places in the outline, and then start fleshing the notes into full text. I write all my papers that way. I already have the simulations I need from my last arXiv paper for the original research part of things.

So cruising along with all systems go. ;)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

good to hear that
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

A little of topic but your modesty is remarkable
I'm not that familiar with the DG stuff but my understanding is that it is more reliable for any scripts requiring random access, that it works for some streams that may fail with DirectShowSource(), such as interlaced VC1, and that in some cases it can speed up transcoding. On the other hand, it requires a modest donation and it may not bring much to the table for your simple BDRB rebuilding jobs, although I also understand it is used by a good number of BDRB users.
admin

Post by admin »

He he. The blue part was an inside joke.

In my long life I eventually learned a few things about people and myself and I am still learning. I think everybody that is lucky enough to be smart, and that includes the vast majority of people that frequent video forums, goes through a cerebral narcissistic phase, some worse than others. I am happy to have emerged from that to a considerable extent, especially so since many never emerge from it. I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention. Fulfillment comes from within for normal people (as opposed to narcissists).

Another practical matter is that modesty and humility avoids triggering the narcs out there. Since they are intent on bringing people down, if you appear as nothing special, you don't get targeted. If you are good at something or successful at something, automatically 5-10% of people will hate you and want to destroy you. It's a highly verified human psychological fact. We could get into how narcissism can be evolutionarily stable. I think I understand why; maybe it could make an interesting paper.

Your thoughts?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

You are what you are, if you are smart then you are smart, and if others attack you for it then consider the source, walk away with a smile and ignore them.
I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention
All this means is that you have reached a good level of self confidence, confident but not overconfident, you are comfortable in your own skin as it were.
By the way, your philosophical roots are showing
admin

Post by admin »

For sure, gonca, but sometimes that walking away thing is hard, because the attackers are so good at pressing your buttons and a normal person thinks one can settle debates with logic and facts, but narcs don't work that way.
gonca wrote: By the way, your philosophical roots are showing
Good to hear!
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:He he. The blue part was a bit of an inside joke.

In my long life I eventually learned a few things about people and myself and I am still learning. I think everybody that is lucky enough to be smart, and that includes the vast majority of people that frequent video forums, goes through a cerebral narcissistic phase, some worse than others. I am happy to have emerged from that to a considerable extent, especially so since many never emerge from it. I still have healthy self-esteem but have no need for praise or attention. Fulfillment comes from within for normal people (as opposed to narcissists).

Another practical matter is that modesty and humility avoids triggering the narcs out there. Since they are intent on bringing people down, if you appear as nothing special, you don't get targeted. If you are good at something or successful at something, automatically 5-10% of people will hate you and want to destroy you. It's a highly verified human psychological fact. We could get into how narcissism can be evolutionarily stable. I think I understand why; maybe it could make an interesting paper.

Your thoughts?
Well, some people have an attitude like

Paragraph 1: I am always right
Paragraph 2: Should I be proven to be wrong, then automatically Paragraph 1 comes into force

... and continue to print their wisdom in bold letters....
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, and that's why gonca is so right about the need to walk away, as facts and logic are impotent with these people.

One interesting quirk is that these people must have the last word and you will never be able to have the last word with these people. The most decisive and persuasive refutation will always be dismissed and answered with further nonsense. If one cares to play this game at all, one can cleverly trick the person into making such a ridiculous and absurd reply that there is no need for further comment and the last word works against the person. They go on oblivious, thinking they have "won". It's really quite amusing to a normal person.

With the hard-core narcs, after you stop responding they become desperate for the narc supply and start posting more and more trying to hoover you back in so they can continue to display their awesomeness. Pathetic.

The best way to beat a narc is to ignore them. It wounds them deeply.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

The best way to beat a narc is to ignore them
Precisely, and the lack of response drives them nuts because it makes them realize that you consider them to be irrelevant.
admin

Post by admin »

Back on topic:

I finished the outline and fleshed out 6 pages of the paper this morning. Getting started is the hardest part. As I am shooting for 15-20 pages and have 3 months left things look good. Maybe I can take a break for some video coding. :scratch:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

3 months can go by quickly, make sure you stay on top of the paper. Don't want to rush it at the end, cramming doesn't work as well as steady progress.
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for that advice, gonca.

I never rush anything, don't worry.

I'm pretty good about not procrastinating. Two choices: 1) Get everything done right away and then enjoy the remaining time until the delivery date. 2) Leave things to the last minute and spend the whole time worrying. It's the same amount of work either way so the first option is clearly superior. :ugeek:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

I'm pretty good about not procrastinating
Yeah, but...
You are also good to responding to DGTools users needs, bugs - wish list - issues with DGDecodeNV and third party tools.
Just make sure you don't get so deeply involved with something else that you allow time to slip by on you.
Learned this from my mom, if you have something to do, do it now and then you can move on to something else, or relax.
admin

Post by admin »

gonca wrote: Learned this from my mom, if you have something to do, do it now and then you can move on to something else, or relax.
For sure. Your mother's "moving on to something else" is really important. Thanks for highlighting that. We have a limited time on earth and should make the most of it. Still, relaxation time is very human, we need it to recharge.
admin

Re: Update on your latest paper please

Post by admin »

I just finished the first draft, over a month ahead of schedule. Yee-ha! I still have to add the references and do a first edit. Then I will submit it for peer review. I pushed the envelope of scientific political correctness pretty substantially but I think I have preempted any expressions of indignity in an introductory section. Time will tell.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Good to hear that :hat:
admin

Post by admin »

All done! I plan to sleep on it and then submit it tomorrow.

Now I have a month to move on to something else...probably doing reviews of some of the other papers. ;)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Good to hear that you now have time to do something else.
One more thing off the to do list
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for reminding me to check it off!

Next up: apply for Medicare. Who thought that time would ever come? :facepalm:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

As long as you are young at heart with an active mind you're alright, even if you're on medicare ;)
admin

Post by admin »

I got the reviewer feedback on my submission and did the requested revisions and re-submitted. It's looking good. I had to tone down one section that talked about data fabrication but I sort of expected that. It's like a negotiation; we meet halfway. ;)

This is the journal:

http://www.openphysics.com/

and this is the special edition:

https://www.degruyter.com/page/1504
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Data fabrication / manipulation in the scientific community is one of those topics that is known to happen on occasion but is not to be discussed openly.
admin

Post by admin »

Sure, but it was a negotiating position intended to allow the other material to survive. Seems to have worked. 8-)

It is discussed openly at such sites as PubPeer and RetractionWatch but not in the formal literature.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

As long as it worked, well done :hat: