PAL to NTSC telecining

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Re: PAL to NTSC telecining

Post by jpsdr »

Sharc wrote: Pitch shift can be an annoyance though with concert DVDs, especially for the few people (not me) with an "absolute hearing" (I don't know the correct term in English).
and eventually apply audio pitch correction for the sensitive listener.
I forgot to said that, yes, music can be the exception, when you perfectly know a music/song, you can notice the speedup even in absolute.

The few times i've tried pitch correction, the result was... "howfull", and you'll harm even more a sensitive listener.
But, it was a little time ago (several years), so maybe now it's better... :?:

Otherwise, i've personnaly authored 25p (576 and 1080) Blu-Ray tricking with "fake interlaced" when encoding, and it played on my standalone player perfectly.
After, i didn't try on others players, so...
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Finally (!) I found the document which made me believe that not all Blu-Ray players support 25 fps ("PAL"), and converting 25 to 29.97 ("NTSC") might still be advisable to be on the safe side, even in the global Blu-Ray age.

Search for example for "50Hz" in the document here (e.g. Para. 3.3.1, 3.3.2, 6.2.1):
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Downl ... -18780.pdf
DAE avatar
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives »

What about if you omit menus? BDMV has many arbitrary restrictions that don't apply to stand alone video files, e.g. the low consecutive B-frame cap.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I've read indeed the document, it's... astonashing.
I mean, it's supposed to be a spec. Either a video format is supported, or it's not.
How can you have a spec with a format "wich may not be supported by all players"...?
It's totaly useless.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

No. It is NOT a spec. As the title says, it is just a White Paper (a tutorial if you like). That makes a huge difference.
I don't have access to the Blu-Ray spec. but I think to remember that it is a document of more than 1000 pages.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Ok.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Eventually coming back to the original question, it seems that the usual method for 25p -> 29.97i conversion (hard-telecining) is simply

Code: Select all

changefps(59.94)
separatefields()
selectevery(4,0,3)   #selectevery(4,1,2) for alternate field order
weave()