[RESOLVED] DGIndex for AMD VCN?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
boardlord

[RESOLVED] DGIndex for AMD VCN?

Post by boardlord »

Hello!

Long time (from the beginning almost) user of DGIndexNV here :)

I really liked it, since I could make use of my Nvidia dGPU in my desktop and laptop. However, I've just upgraded the latter to a Renoir-based machine (Yoga Slim 7), and wondered if AMD's AMF has matured enough to make a DGIndex version for it... In theory AMD'S VCN should be able to decode almost anything. The Renoir cores are a beast, so much better then what Intel can offer (price vs. performance-wise).

Thanks!
Rocky

Re: DGIndex for AMD VCN?

Post by Rocky »

Welcome back, boardlord (love the nick). Thank you for your interest in my tools over the years.

Sorry, there are no plans to do anything for AMD (my progress bar of life and priorities preclude it). I believe you can, however, use your nVidia card as a secondary alongside your main AMD card and use it for indexing/decoding, as long as the AMD driver allows you to install the nVidia driver as well. It's worth a try.

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-AMD-and ... %20drivers.
DAE avatar
boardlord

Re: [RESOLVED] DGIndex for AMD VCN?

Post by boardlord »

Thanks for the quick reply! Haha, that's been my nick for ages on Doom9 :) Unfortunately that is not an option :( My Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 doesn't have an Nvidia dGPU (as opposed to my old laptop with a 940M), only the iGPU of the AMD Renoir CPU (Vega 6 I believe). Ah well, here's hoping that they'll get around implementing an AMF decoder in FFMPEG (link below), so that I can make use of it through Avisynth and L-SMASH... Or, try Directshowsource with LAVFilter's DXVA decoding - although I'm not convinced Directshow is reliable for random access.

Code: Select all

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF/issues/199
Rocky

Re: [RESOLVED] DGIndex for AMD VCN?

Post by Rocky »

Just keep a separate nVidia machine and network it in. I think it's giving up too much to insist on doing everything on a single laptop. You have to be able to upgrade GPUs (via new boards). But more power to you!
here's hoping
You all know what they say about hope. I'll be getting work done while you are hoping.