Hardware-generic DGDecodeNV/DI AVS script?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
DAE avatar
Deadeye

Hardware-generic DGDecodeNV/DI AVS script?

Post by Deadeye »

Hi,

I would like to be able to use DGDecode in a hardware-neutral way (at the AviSynth script level) so that the script uses DGDecodeNV() on my machines with an Nvidia GPU but uses DGDecodeDI() on my machine that uses an ATI card. Is this possible?

I see references to DGSource() which looks promising (nice and neutral at least), but the documentation is a little thin on the high-level usage stuff ATM and I'm not sure if/how to patch it together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
admin

Re: Hardware-generic DGDecodeNV/DI AVS script?

Post by admin »

@Deadeye

That's a brilliant thought. Thank you for sharing it with us.

It's such an obvious thing to do that we all overlooked it. :)

My suggestion is that following your suggestion, I can make a merged executable, and I'm now thinking about the best way to do it.
DAE avatar
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Hmm, my sarcasm detector just pegged... Or am I misreading your tone?

I'm just looking for some information. My thought was to use an environment variable, but my guess is that actually you have been thinking about this.

If this may become a reality in the near future can you provide some sort of guesstimate ETA?
admin

Post by admin »

Not sarcasm. I'm thinking less than 2 weeks.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Deadeye wrote:Hmm, my sarcasm detector just pegged... Or am I misreading your tone?
Clearly DG is serious. I've almost forgotten already the daze (sic) when we were using 3 or four different sets of admin's tools (and I had .cmd files to operate each) depending on what codec what being indexed. The consolidated DGIndexNV and DGDecode is a dream to use, not that I minded the old way particularly.

I suppose too Donald from your POV it's desirable to manage/maintain/store/distribute one package if possible. :)
admin

Post by admin »

laserfan wrote:I suppose too Donald from your POV it's desirable to manage/maintain/store/distribute one package if possible.
Yes, of course. That's one reason I called it a brilliant thought. :lol:
DAE avatar
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

admin wrote:Not sarcasm. I'm thinking less than 2 weeks.
Oh. Um, apologies for being overly-sensitive. I'm looking forward to the upcoming release.
laserfan wrote:I've almost forgotten already the daze (sic) when we were using 3 or four different sets of admin's tools (and I had .cmd files to operate each) depending on what codec what being indexed. The consolidated DGIndexNV and DGDecode is a dream to use, not that I minded the old way particularly.
It appears that I've fallen behind the times, my scripts currently use DGMultiSource(). I'll look into that.

The changes that were hard on me were the ones that triggered re-indexing. Back when .dgi files had to be recreated seemingly every week I went through a phase of concatenating my .MTS files (just because it made the process a little easier - I'm still trying to sort out the damage from that) and wrote an ugly little batch script to automate re-indexing.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Deadeye wrote:It appears that I've fallen behind the times, my scripts currently use DGMultiSource(). I'll look into that.
No pressing need to do that as DGMultiSource works the same still.
DAE avatar
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Just wondering, are any updates forthcoming?

It's been like three months since 2038 was released and I'm curious if something big is cooking or Don has moved on to other stuff.
admin

Post by admin »

Well, two weeks for a DI/NV merger was overly optimistic.

Obviously I haven't stopped development of DI or NV. When I accumulate sufficient new stuff, or need to fix an urgent bug, I will make a release. There is no set periodic release.
DAE avatar
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Thanks for the update. Was just curious about the status.

But no worries, take your time, "it takes as long as it takes". After 20 years in software development myself, I get that. Especially since I'm guessing this isn't your full-time job.

I'll just keep checking back every week or so.