DGAVCDecodeDI & MeGUI 2006 (svn) Crash

Support forum for DGAVCDecDI
DAE avatar
Matrosko

Re: DGAVCDecodeDI & MeGUI 2006 (svn) Crash

Post by Matrosko »

neuron2 wrote:The DI software version is documented as alpha quality. It will likely not be developed any further. If you need a refund PM me your details.
I can't because the forum doesn't let new useres to post private messages.
Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

I don't see any board settings to control that.

OK, send me an email. I need your registered email in any case to find you.
DAE avatar
Matrosko

Post by Matrosko »

neuron2 wrote:I don't see any board settings to control that.

OK, send me an email. I need your registered email in any case to find you.
The option:
PM:Send private message
Apperas only after 3 posts...now i can send pm anyway.
DAE avatar
Dal

Post by Dal »

neuron2 wrote:The DI software version is documented as alpha quality. It will likely not be developed any further. If you need a refund PM me your details.
This is very unfortunate.
I was coming to the forum to tell that the -"at" command line option does not seem to work, then I see this.

So there is no tool for us with AMD cards then, execpt the old dgavcindex then.

It's a shame.
admin

Post by admin »

If your only issue is the -at option I can easily fix that, as long as you tell me how to reproduce it.

It's a shame you don't have an nVidia card. :agree:
DAE avatar
Dal

Post by Dal »

neuron2 wrote:If your only issue is the -at option I can easily fix that, as long as you tell me how to reproduce it.
I thank you for that, but there is also the issue where I have to wait several minutes before the file I try to open actually gets loaded into the program.
neuron2 wrote:It's a shame you don't have an nVidia card. :agree:
Yeah, well, it's a shame that this thing has to be gfx card specific.
IMO you should drop the HW accelleration thing and reprogram this fine program so it just works, regardless of hardware.

Thanks anyway.
DAE avatar
kypec

Post by kypec »

Dal wrote:
neuron2 wrote:IMO you should drop the HW accelleration thing and reprogram this fine program so it just works, regardless of hardware.
I'd say that the program just works because it actually uses CUDA (nVidia specific feature) which makes your suggestion pointless ;)
BTW I've read somewhere that nVidia plans to open/release CUDA for other platforms as well so maybe there's a hope also for non-nVidia GPU to benefit from it in the future :?:
admin

Post by admin »

kypec wrote:I'd say that the program just works because it actually uses CUDA (nVidia specific feature) which makes your suggestion pointless ;)
BTW I've read somewhere that nVidia plans to open/release CUDA for other platforms as well so maybe there's a hope also for non-nVidia GPU to benefit from it in the future :?:
It uses CUVID to be more exact, but your point is correct. Your latter speculation will depend on whether they release a CUVID API for other platforms.
DAE avatar
Nick007

Post by Nick007 »

Zathor wrote:
Nick007 wrote:From experience of my friend, recent versions of Megui are bogus.
??? Please create a bug report or send me the details about the problems (here as a PM or in the doom9 forum). In my opinion there are sometimes of course new problems with newer builds but in general newer versions are less buggy than old ones.
But please keep in mind that MeGUI never supported DGAVCDecDI and (as written above) never will support it.

Btw I am going to remove the old DGAVCDec (should have done that already a long time ago).
Well, I'm using 0.3.4.0, which you could say is ancient, but it never failed on me. Although, I'm using it only as simple preset and queue manager and use none of its auto tools. I don't know exactly what caused my friend problems, it's bit hard to understand him what actually doesn't work (he's Romanian...), but I gave him my Megui folder and it worked for him flawlessly. It may have been error on his end, some settings misconfiguration or something, or it could've been fixed in later version, because I think he's using some recent build now without problems.

Either way, my point was to try older version of Megui. Because, put simply, there is no reason why the script shouldn't work in Megui when it works elsewhere (previews in AvsPmod etc)...
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

Dal wrote: Yeah, well, it's a shame that this thing has to be gfx card specific.
IMO you should drop the HW accelleration thing and reprogram this fine program so it just works, regardless of hardware.

Thanks anyway.
HW acceleration/decoding does have a place, it's great for HD encoding but very poor when the encoder encoding rate is higher than about 105fps such as when encoding to XVid formats because the nVidia GPU cannot decode fast enough for the XVid encoder. It slows down the encoding process significantly even on previous generation CPU's.

I was just thinking about getting the DiAVC decoder so I could use DGAVCDecoderDI for XVid encoding but if it doesn't work with newer DiAVC releases and has been abandoned then there is not much point because I don't need a software AVC decoder for any other reason.
admin

Post by admin »

With VP5 you can keep up with the encoder even with SD.
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

neuron2 wrote:With VP5 you can keep up with the encoder even with SD.
When I saw your post you raised my hopes until I looked at the available cards in the 500 series. The 520 is the closest things but it's a bottom end card with inadequate shaders and is inferior to my GT240 DDR5 card in all respects except for VP5. The GT545's have been made by the card manufacturers to fill the gap in the nVidia range between bottom end and mid range where the GT240 sits. Unfortunately the GT545 isn't a true 500 series card, it's a 400 series with VP4 video engine.

Then I saw the benchmarks :( 146fps at best is below the 140-160fps I can get when encoding XVids from Mpeg2. Newer Sandybridge CPU's should be able to get much higher encoding speeds than that. It's certainly an improvement but until there is a better card available than the GT520 I won't be upgrading my GT240. Unfortunately the only benchmark for the GTX550 looks incorrect and no better than a VP4 based card. That test rat video has a max bitrate of 34Mbps which is about 3x higher than what I usually encode so higher frame rates should be possible. However until a lower end 600 series card comes out I will wait.

Maybe nVidia has learned from the mistakes with the 500 series and will fill the gap between bottom end and mid range for the 600 series.
admin

Post by admin »

I don't think the 550 has VP5.
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

Oh ic now, it was only introduced with the GT520 and included with the mobile 410M. I thought that it was included with most of the 500 series going by the core numbers because I thought that they disable sections of cores that fail testing to make the lower end models.

Therefore it looks like I will have to wait until a suitable 600 series card becomes available. The 520 isn't an option.
admin

Post by admin »

:agree:

We are all waiting. :cry:
DAE avatar
Dal

Post by Dal »

admin

Post by admin »

Looks good, and of course the 680 has been out for a while.
DAE avatar
zoeyku

Post by zoeyku »

Reinstalling of meGUI resolve the problem.