[RESOLVED] FFMPEG for decoding

Support forum for DGMPGDec
DAE avatar
Soulvomit

[RESOLVED] FFMPEG for decoding

Post by Soulvomit »

Hello. Could it be possible to use DGIndex with FFMPEG/Libavcodec (ffmpeg.dll) doing the decoding? I know it may sound like a silly and trivial thing to request knowing that DGIndex already decodes the video and you could argue I won't "see" the difference between either decoders but I use FFMPEG to decode all other formats and I would love to include MPEG for uniformity's sake. I've looked into FFMPEGSource2 for this before bugging you about it but, boy, is it a nightmare handling MPEG-2. Your program is by far the best at what it does and if it included FFMPEG it would be the cherry on top for me. :)

Thank you.
admin

Re: FFMPEG for decoding

Post by admin »

He he. You're obviously unaware of the history here.

It would be a lot of work so I ask you to justify it with specific technical gains that would justify the large effort.
DAE avatar
Soulvomit

Post by Soulvomit »

You're right, there is no real technical gain in doing this, however, right now I bite the bullet and take the long tedious route of using FFMPEG to convert to lossless AVI and then working with that, so it would really save me a lot of time and effort if I could get rid of this step. I can't really support why I do this with any real rationale but it just seems to satisfy my OCD, or something.

And I must apologize for requesting something like this so easily and overlooking the time and effort it would take you in writing the code and programming and all. I'm sure you have other more important things to do.

If you were to be up for it though, name your price. :P
admin

Post by admin »

You are doing something that you say is very painful but you say there is no reason for doing it. So why are you doing it, i.e., why are you converting to lossless AVI etc.? And why can't you just use DGMPGDec or DGDecNV instead of ffmpeg?
DAE avatar
Soulvomit

Post by Soulvomit »

It's just about a certain gratification I get knowing all the decoding and encoding was done by one library - part of that uniformity I mentioned earlier. It's dumb, I know.
admin

Post by admin »

Going through life dumb is probably not a great strategy, but have it your way. :scratch:
DAE avatar
Soulvomit

Post by Soulvomit »

:shock:

:cry:

Thanks for at least listening even though this thread didn't really go anywhere. Thank you for your valuable work and tools as well. Sorry for wasting your time. :oops:
admin

FFMPEG for decoding

Post by admin »

It wasn't a waste at all, and I appreciate your feedback, Soulvomit. Here's the thing: libavcodec changed such that support of robust random access became difficult if not impossible. That's why I discontinued that code line. At that time the FFMPEG takeover war was in full swing and the prospect of any reasonable support to restore proper random access was small. Now that the main aggressor and groupies have apparently lost interest in further attacks on the video community, perhaps there is hope for FFMPEG, but everything is a matter of priorities for me now. I simply cannot execute every project that has some conceivable value.