DAE avatar
jpsdr

Question about memory used

Post by jpsdr »

First, config :
NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
Driver 461.40
Windows 7 x64

I've encounter an unexpected issue on my process. The odd thing is the sudden part of it, as it's something i'm doing now for years without any issue, and suddenly, something happens when doing the same thing i've done for years.
For now, as i don't realy know exactly where issue can come from, i'm investigating.
I'm using DGIndexNV as source filter, and in my process i'm using NeatVideo. These are the only filters using the GPU. When i've showed my issue to NeatVideo support (NV is my prime suspect), they told me to disabling the use of GPU will probably make the issue gone.
Problem is that i don't understand why suddenly it's not working anymore when it was working for years... :?
No new version of NeatVideo since a lot of time.
Driver and DGIndexNV changed often. Right now is suspect more a driver issue.

My question : Is it possible to have (either because a driver issue or a recent change in DGIndexNV) some kind of memory leak in GPU ? Ressources not free properly ?

The issue i have is happening only when i batch several jobs in VirtualDub, and then start them.
I have the following kind of result :
Files 1 & 2 Ok, File 3 NOk, File 4 Ok, File 5 & 6 NOk, etc...
Of course, i've allready done several time the same thing (batch a lot of jobs in VDub) before without issue.

Do you know how memory DGIndexNV needs on 1080p H264 from Blu-Ray ?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

"suddenly it's not working anymore"

Please tell us what actually happens! You know, tell us about crashes, error messages, etc. Also, do you get the issue when you do not use neat video?

I'll be happy to answer your questions after you make a proper trouble report.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

jpsdr wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 pm
You can monitor the GPU memory usage in GPU-Z or similar tools.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:05 am
jpsdr wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 pm
You can monitor the GPU memory usage in GPU-Z or similar tools.
Correct, but note that DGIndexNV does not use the GPU during indexing, so the OP question is strange. That is why I asked above for a proper trouble report, i.e, exactly what you do to produce an issue and the error messages, etc., that you get. I'm guessing that the OP is actually talking about DGDecodeNV but then we need to know the script and process.
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Argh...! You're right, i'm very sorry, i always mix them up. :facepalm:
I'm talking about DGDecodeNV, of course... (stupid me).
There is no error message,just that "suddenly" i have improper output. Hard and long to reproduce (almost a day of processing, need 20Gb of input files and produces 500GB of ouput files and also need NeatVideo), so, no need to spend time on your side for now, just need information.
The improper output (not 100% sure but 95%..) is caused by NeatVideo, because it probably goes low on GPU ressources.
What i'm trying to figure out/investigate now, is why "suddenly" i have this low GPU ressource issue.
The low GPU ressource issue, on the other hand, may not be necessary caused by NeatVideo. It didn't change for a while, but DGDecodeNV and NVidia driver yes.
This is why i was asking about the average memory used by DGDecodeNV.
Possible "memory leak" somewhere ?
Possible also to trig NeatVideo issue by "bad luck specific configuration" even after years of use.
For now, i'm focussing investigations most on NeatVideo, DGDecodeNV is the last suspect, but i'm still gathering informations.
I'll try to check things with GPU-Z, didn't thought of this obvious thing... Am i getting old and tired... :scratch:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

May I have the script please?
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I don't think it will be very helpful, but all the scripts are like this :

Code: Select all

SetMemoryMax(192)
video=DGSource("BRogers_S1-01_02.dgi",i420=false,deinterlace=0,fieldop=0).crop(232,0,-232,0,align=true)
#audio=WAVSource("BRogers_S1-01_02.wav")
#audioDub(video,audio)
Y=ConvertToY8(video)
U=UtoY8(video).BlackmanResizeMT(Width(Y),Height(Y),src_left=0.25,range=3)
V=VtoY8(video).BlackmanResizeMT(Width(Y),Height(Y),src_left=0.25,range=3)
YtoUV(U,V,Y)
NeatVideo is a VirtualDub plugin, so the filter is instancied in VirtualDub, not in avisynth.

Then replace "S1-01_02" by "S1-xx" with xx is the episode number for all the other files processed during the batched/queued job, until S2-13, creating a batch/queue of around a little less than 40 files.
Run it and get result 2-3 days later...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

If you do the exact same thing but exclude neatvideo, does it fail the same way?
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

If it helps jpsdr, here is a GPU-Z log
This was generated while encoding a HDR 4k source
The video memory used is about 1360 MB
Don't know if DGDecodeNV is using it all
GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
(15.99 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Curly

Post by Curly »

improper output
Improper thoughts, #metoo. Different strokes for different folks. Who are we to judge and censor? Nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

Buy a video card with 3GB memory? Just shoot your big toe off.

Blood dripping. Where is Natasha?
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Rocky wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm
If you do the exact same thing but exclude neatvideo, does it fail the same way?
No, it hapens because NeatVideo has GPU issues.
The thing is try to figure out why "suddenly" NeatVideo has GPU issues, as it didn't change (no new version) for a while, and i'm not doing something different that i've done until now.
But for now, i'll provide material to NeatVideo to reproduce it (even if difficult to).

Even if NeatVideo didn't change, there is also the possibility of an issue in it trigged by a new driver version... or not... A lot of possibilities... It looks almost like quantum mechanics... :D
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So not a DG tools issue. Marking resolved.