Can't extract RAW/PCM from Nostalghia BD

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Subject says it all.

The italian audio is in PCM format and when I try to demux the w64 from the mpls (composed by 3 m2ts) it gives garbage. When trying to demux from the movie m2ts, it works ok but I lose chapter file (obv).

Perhaps the BD has some mastering issues but when playing from MPC or any other player, it works just fine.

I think you should take a look.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The playlist consists of three M2TS files. The first and third are 16-bit PCM and the second is 24-bit PCM. That is the problem. Currently, the only way to handle that and keep the chapters file is to demux with DGDemuxGUI/DGDemux with the skip first and skip last options selected.

I need to either a) port these options to DGIndexNV, or b) allow the M2TS list to be modified using File/Open, but without forgetting that the original open was an MPLS. Please use DGDemux until I do something about this. I want to get a DGDemuxGUI/DGDemux update out the door first.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK, here is a test build:

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGIndexNV_Guest 2.exe

To process your weird disk, first use open disk on the disk, then do File/Open and in the dialog delete the first and last M2TS in the list, check 'Keep MPLS' and hit OK.

There are also cropping fixes in here:

* The sensitivity is changed to 40.
* The main DGIndexNV window remains active with the Cropping window open, i.e., the Cropping dialog is now modeless. Whichever of the Cropping dialog or main window that is active gets the mouse/keyboard events.

Feedback will be appreciated.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:54 am
To process your weird disk, first use open disk on the disk, then do File/Open and in the dialog delete the first and last M2TS in the list, check 'Keep MPLS' and hit OK.
It works but no chapter file is saved. While looking at that, please pay attention if the generated chapter file timings take into account the missing first part. That should be applied to subtitles too.
Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:54 am
The main DGIndexNV window remains active with the Cropping window open
That is great! Now nothing stops you from preferred languages ;)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Works fine for me. What are you doing? Here is the way:

Open disk
Highlight the MPLS
Hit Open MPLS
Now do File/Open
select first m2ts and hit delete
select last m2ts and hit delete
Check Keep MPLS
Hit OK
Do Save project

Doing this I get a chapters file.

When you get that working test PGS and chapters for us. ;)
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:35 am
Works fine for me.
I forgot to check "Keep MPLS". :|
Rocky wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:35 am
When you get that working test PGS and chapters for us. ;)
Chapters are created identical, not taking account of the missing first m2ts.

If I "Open disk" with standard version or the customized one (without deleting 1st and 3rd m2ts), I am unable to get subtitles in the demux window.

When I "Open disk" with the customized one (deleting 1st and 3rd m2ts), I can demux subtitles too but I need further investigation, i.e. OCR to check if they are aligned or not. IMHO they are behaving the same as chapter file.
Curly

Post by Curly »

Running a stream with different audio types is an undefined operation (what to put in the W64 header?). We should detect it and scold the user severely. Good luck with it!

Sure, gotta do PGS and chapters right. Gonna compare to DGDemux and test sync. Tomorrow, if I wake up.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

I have found another difference between playing the mpls and playing the movie m2ts. This influences DGIndexNV too.

The first, after the intro m2ts, starts with the movie, skipping some frames that you can see if playing the movie m2ts or looking at the generated dgi thru a simple avs script:

Those frames shouldn't be in the dgi and so, accordingly, in the timing of chapters (as said), subs, etc.

That will be tricky ;)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yes, indeed, this is a tricky disk. We have spurious M2TS's at the start and end, and we have garbage at the start of the second M2TS. Nevertheless, dropping the disk on MPC-HC plays perfectly with valid video, audio, subs, and PGS. So there must be a way to demux this accordingly. I'm going to focus on DGDemux first and try to solve the riddle. Trying there by setting skip first, skip last, and strict playlist does not succeed, although one would think that it should. And obviously, the quick hack I did for DGIndexNV is not working.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Playing the disk in MPC-HC: The first and last M2TS are in fact played and the spurious frames in the middle M2TS are skipped. So when demuxing we should theoretically include the first and last M2TS and skip the spurious content in the second one. The problem is that the resulting audio will have format changes. Another issue is that I use the first M2TS to find all the streams but the first M2TS has no PGS so if we include it, we don't demux subs.

I'm going to have scratch my butt for a while and figure out something reasonable to do. :scratch:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

One thing is for sure: We have to exclude the first and last M2TS files due to the audio format changes. Doing that in DGDemux and then muxing together with mkvtoolnix gives an MKV that: 1) has the spurious frames at the start, 2) has audio and subs in sync, and 3) has chapters out of sync. So our challenge is to skip the spurious frames and adjust the subs and chapters accordingly.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:45 am
Yes, indeed, this is a tricky disk.
I know you love challenges.

I will never let you get bored. :D
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you. You're all heart. :salute:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Non così complicato dopo tutto. 15 minutes to get it working after my dream epiphany last night.

Get this:

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDemux_Guest 2.exe

Run it together with the released DGDemuxGUI build 49. Select the 'skip first', 'skip_last', and 'strict playlist' options. As far as I can see the spurious video is skipped and everything is in sync. I tested it by muxing everything with mkvtoolnix and then playing in MPC-HC. Please report your findings.

Haven't decided yet whether to port these options to DGIndexNV. For now if you need Avisynth/Vapoursynth processing, include the video when you demux with DGDemux and index the resulting video ES.

I wonder if any other demuxer can properly handle this disk. :scratch:
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:56 am
Non così complicato dopo tutto.
Le mie congratulazioni per il lavoro svolto. Domani mi prenderò il tempo per provarlo con calma ;)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Select the 'skip first', 'skip_last', and 'strict playlist' options.
And what if there are more M2TS to skip? Couldn't be better to have a table with single ones, such as you implemented in DGIndexNV, where to enable/disable each one?
Rocky wrote:
Haven't decided yet whether to port these options to DGIndexNV.
Yes, please.
Rocky wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 pm
I decided to use this lockdown to go back to study (at my age!) and get a civil engineering Master's degree.

Unfortunately, my brain in not as good as it used to be.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Guest 2 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:18 am
And what if there are more M2TS to skip? Couldn't be better to have a table with single ones, such as you implemented in DGIndexNV, where to enable/disable each one?
If such a disk ever comes to light we will address it appropriately.
I decided to use this lockdown to go back to study (at my age!) and get a civil engineering Master's degree.
Bravo!
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Please report your findings.
Encoding video to x265 to create a "real" MKV output.

I already saw that both chapters and subtitle have a time difference, so it seems to work. :hat:

I will give you final feedback tomorrow approximately in the morning (GMT+2).
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Everything works perfectly. Fine job!

:bow:

Grazie. ;)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Prego. Already released it yesterday. ;)

Definitely a polarizing movie. Some call it a masterpiece and some call it utterly boring and pretentious.