[RESOLVED] Question about performance

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Jagutherrschaften

[RESOLVED] Question about performance

Post by Jagutherrschaften »

Hey again.

Since it is rather difficult to observe the utilisation of the GPU during video-encoding I have a simple question:

Does the used NVIDIA-graphics card influence the performance of the video-encoding process?
I use a GTS250 at the moment, would there be any change if I used a card with higher performance?
Or can´t this question be answered this easily, could the bottleneck be something else when encoding HD-material?

Don´t get me wrong, I am very, very happy with DGINdexNV :) , this is just a question out of curiosity.

My system in short: MSI K9A2 Platinum, AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955 (4 x 3,2 GHz), NVIDIA GTS250
DAE avatar
kypec

Re: Question about performance

Post by kypec »

DGDecNV has nothing to do with video encoding as such. It only decodes your source video material via dedicated hardware chip on your nVidia GPU which
consequently allows your CPU to spend more computing cycles for actual encoding process. Since the CPU is not required to decode the original video data it can encode more efficiently.
For encoding HD material you should check what is the actual performance of your encoder (x264, xvid) in your system to see if and where the bottlenecks might be.
admin

Post by admin »

I would add that it's possible to buy overclocked versions of Nvidia cards. They can give a useful boost to the VP engine performance. Also, get a card with as wide a memory interface as possible.
DAE avatar
Jagutherrschaften

Post by Jagutherrschaften »

Thank you all for your answers, good to know :D.