[RESOLVED] cuCtxCreate failed

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
SubJunk

[RESOLVED] cuCtxCreate failed

Post by SubJunk »

I've had another error lately where a lot of error windows pop up with "cuCtxCreate failed".
It started when I updated from 2038 to 2039 and it usually happens if I try to save a new index file while another is being read from.
admin

Re: cuCtxCreate failed

Post by admin »

I need all your system details and a description of a specific scenario that causes it. You haven't even told me if it is DGIndexNV or DGDecodeNV that it happens with, for example.
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit
RAM: 6GB
CPU: Q9550 (quad core)
Chipset: nForce 790i Ultra SLI
GPU: GTX 280
GPU driver version: 270.61
If there are any more details you would like just let me know :)

There are a lot of scenarios that produce the bug. It happens in DGIndexNV just from opening a file in it. It is more likely to happen if DGDecodeNV is being used at the same time.
It happens with all files.
Let me know if there's more information I can supply :)
admin

Post by admin »

How much memory on your graphics card and did you change it recently?

I don't recommend running DGDecNV concurrently like you are doing. It is not a designed-for condition.
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

The card has 1024MB DDR3 RAM and I've been using it for over 2 years.
It's possible it's a driver problem, I'll try rolling back.
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

I rolled back my video card drivers to 266.58 and that didn't fix the problem.
I rolled back DGDecNV to 2038 and it fixes the problem.

So it definitely is something that was introduced in 2039.
admin

Post by admin »

I don't see any changes in 2039 that could account for this so we are stymied. Does this happen only when you run DGIndexNV on another project while one is being transcoded?

Also, is the error coming from DGIndexNV or DGDecodeNV?
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

neuron2 wrote:Does this happen only when you run DGIndexNV on another project while one is being transcoded?
No, it also happens with 2 instances of DGDecodeNV with no instances of DGIndexNV.
For example, when MeGUI is transcoding and I try to queue another project it will happen and crash the program.
neuron2 wrote:Also, is the error coming from DGIndexNV or DGDecodeNV?
Whichever one was opened last. It has happened in both if my memory is correct.
admin

Post by admin »

Looks like you are just running out of graphics memory. Don't do concurrent stuff like that. I don't support it.
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

I'm monitoring the RAM usage on the GPU now and the highest I can make it go is 5% GPU load and 3% RAM load on the video card, so it's definitely not a resource shortage problem.
Its OK that you don't support that feature though, no problem :)
admin

Post by admin »

One open instance takes about 128-200MB, which is way more than 3% of 1GB. Use GPU-Z/Sensors/Memory Used.

BTW, do you have D3D mode enabled?
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

neuron2 wrote:One open instance takes about 128-200MB, which is way more than 3% of 1GB. Use GPU-Z/Sensors/Memory Used.
You're right, it seems that GPU Monitor was reporting incorrectly.
GPU-Z lists the memory at 758MB when running the 2 instances of 2038. I can't run 2039 right now because I've been encoding a job for 17 hours and don't want to crash it.
Do you think 2039 would push it from 758MB to over 1024MB?
neuron2 wrote:BTW, do you have D3D mode enabled?
Yes. Should I try disabling it?
admin

Post by admin »

SubJunk wrote:
neuron2 wrote:One open instance takes about 128-200MB, which is way more than 3% of 1GB. Use GPU-Z/Sensors/Memory Used.
You're right, it seems that GPU Monitor was reporting incorrectly.
GPU-Z lists the memory at 758MB when running the 2 instances of 2038. I can't run 2039 right now because I've been encoding a job for 17 hours and don't want to crash it.
Do you think 2039 would push it from 758MB to over 1024MB?
I can't imagine why but please let us know what you find.
neuron2 wrote:BTW, do you have D3D mode enabled?
Yes. Should I try disabling it?
Yes, of course. D3D mode requires more memory.
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

neuron2 wrote:
SubJunk wrote:Do you think 2039 would push it from 758MB to over 1024MB?
I can't imagine why but please let us know what you find.
I just verified it is the memory.
With 2038 it goes to 758mb, while the same actions with 2039 makes it go over 1024mb.
admin

Post by admin »

That's very interesting. Does that happen only with MPEG2 streams or also for AVC and VC1?
DAE avatar
SubJunk

Post by SubJunk »

Almost all of my video files are AVC so that's the only one I know it happens with.
admin

Post by admin »

My testing reveals no difference in memory usage between 2038 and 2039. If you want any further followup you will need to provide a test stream and a description of the full and exact process to follow for observing what you say you observe.
DAE avatar
Chouonsoku

Post by Chouonsoku »

I hate to bump this topic but I'm having a very similar problem. On some occasions, if I try to watch a video (Youtube, MPC-HC, VLC, etc.) and I'm encoding something that's using DGDecNV, I get a black screen and then upon the screen coming back I get a complaint that my Display Driver quite responding, and whatever video I'm watching stays either black or goes green, and I have to restart whatever program I'm playing the video in. This generally also produces a "cuCtxCreate failed" error from x264, probably because the graphics driver malfunctions thus not decoding the frame properly. This problem has only manifested itself in the 27x series of drivers, first with 270.61 which I rolled back to 266.77 which resolved the problem. Now, I've recently tried updating my graphics drivers to 275.27 for The Witcher 2 and the problem is happening again.

I have not checked yet to see if rolling back to build 2038 of DGDecNV resolves the issue but due to what has already been said I can't see that as been an issue. Could it have something to do with how the new drivers work with CUDA or something? It looks to be more of an incompatibility with the latest drivers more than a bug in DGDecNV.
admin

Post by admin »

I'll have to ask Nvidia about this.
DAE avatar
Chouonsoku

Post by Chouonsoku »

Problem persists in 275.33.
DAE avatar
Trapstar

Post by Trapstar »

Chouonsoku wrote:I hate to bump this topic but I'm having a very similar problem. On some occasions, if I try to watch a video (Youtube, MPC-HC, VLC, etc.) and I'm encoding something that's using DGDecNV, I get a black screen and then upon the screen coming back I get a complaint that my Display Driver quite responding, and whatever video I'm watching stays either black or goes green, and I have to restart whatever program I'm playing the video in. This generally also produces a "cuCtxCreate failed" error from x264, probably because the graphics driver malfunctions thus not decoding the frame properly. This problem has only manifested itself in the 27x series of drivers, first with 270.61 which I rolled back to 266.77 which resolved the problem. Now, I've recently tried updating my graphics drivers to 275.27 for The Witcher 2 and the problem is happening again.

I have not checked yet to see if rolling back to build 2038 of DGDecNV resolves the issue but due to what has already been said I can't see that as been an issue. Could it have something to do with how the new drivers work with CUDA or something? It looks to be more of an incompatibility with the latest drivers more than a bug in DGDecNV.
I have the exact same problem, if i'm already playing a video in MPC HC or any other video player when starting the encode i get the DGMultiSource "Failed to create video decoder (100)" error or DGMultiSource "cuCtxCreate () failed."
If i try to play a video when already encoding it works but video is stuttering, but when exiting the video player the Nvidia driver crashes and so does DGDecNV.

I checked the memory usage, it never went above 400MB out of 1024MB my GTX560Ti card has. Using v2039 of DGDecNV on Win7 64,i7 2600k,8GB ram,GTX560Ti.

Funny thing is that it was all working perfectly until yesterday when this started happening, but i haven't updated drivers or anything that could have caused this, only thing i did was install newer FFDShow and MPC HC couple of days ago.
admin

Post by admin »

I do not recommend or support playing videos during an encode with DGDecNV.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

Groucho2004 wrote:
neuron2 wrote:I do not recommend or support playing videos during an encode with DGDecNV.
Most likely related: I experienced problems (crashing) with DGDecodeNV when I used Firefox 4.x which features GPU acceleration. Disabling this feature solved the problems.
Very interesting. I do sometimes surf w/Firefox 4.0.1 when encoding so will have to turn this off myself.

BTW is it correct that the nvidia GPU is only employed when the DGDecNV.dll is used, and not when DGIndex.exe is indexing?
admin

Post by admin »

DGIndexNV also uses the GPU.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:DGIndexNV also uses the GPU.
Thanks.