Weird corruption effect when resizing and deinterlacing with DGSource

Support forum for DGDecNV
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

Hi all. After a long time without encoding, I recently decided to start doing it again. But, for some reason, videos are now corrupted when resizing from 1080 to 720 with DGIndexNV and deinterlacing at the same time. No issues if I resize to 704x400 with deinterlace enabled. I tried with the exact same DGIndexNV version as before, when it was working, and also with the exact same video source I tried back then and worked. The only thing I can think of that has changed is Windows updates and my Nvidia GPU's driver updates. Check the screenshots:

VIDEO DEINTERLACED AND RESIZED TO 704x400:

VIDEO RESIZED TO 720 WITHOUT DEINTERLACING:

VIDEO DEINTERLACED AND RESIZED TO 720 :

Weird as hell if you ask me, and out of nowhere. Again, exact same DGIndexNV, libraries, AvsP and video source that worked last time I encoded (last year). And it's not an AvsP error, I encoded it and that was the result in the mkv :(

Thanks in advance!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Welcome to the forum!

I cannot duplicate this:

loadplugin("d:\don\Programming\C++\dgdecnv\DGDecodeNV\x64\Release\dgdecodenv.dll")
dgsource("G:\Streams\AVC\Field Structure\00000.dgi",ct=0,cb=0,cl=4,cr=4,rw=1280,rh=720,deinterlace=1)

Works fine in AvsPmod and VirtualDub2. Does this happen for all source files for you? What is your nVidia card?

Can you try a few things:

1. Full power cycle your PC. Sometimes the GPU gets in a weird state and needs a power reset.
2. Update your nVidia driver to the latest.

If those don't help, please provide a link to a small unprocessed source sample that does this. If it works fine for me we would need to look closer at your system.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

Hi Rocky, thank you for the welcome!

I have definetely perform full power cycle on my PC these days, as I've been having problems with one of the fans and I've been opening the case and stuff. A "real" full power cycle actually, since I had to unplug it from the wall as well.

I've tried other videos (I can't believe I didn't think about that, I guess I was convinced it was something with the source, a local DVB-S2 broadcast) and indeed it happens on all of them. I will still upload you a sample, just to triple check it's my system.

I always keep my GPU up to date, it's a RTX 3080, gigabyte brand (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/ ... 0GD-rev-10). Actually I just booted my PC to answer you and and a new update has come up. I'm gonna apply it, although I don't think it will fix anything xD

Here's the test: https://mega.nz/file/VYJ1lRRY#_xgoYtTWJ ... lgV7T6XGmY

Thanks!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Your file works fine here. Please tell your nVidia driver version. Also, please tell how you are viewing the AVS file.

Make sure you get the driver from nVidia.com. Don't use anything your card vendor or windows update pushes at you. Consider doing a clean install with DDU etc.

If we can't solve it, then your workaround is:

dgsource("D:\Downloads\testfile.dgi",ct=0,cb=0,cl=4,cr=4,deinterlace=1)
LanczosResize(1280,720)
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

Driver is nVidia official one, 545.92.

I view the avs with AvsP, but I tried encoding it and the result was the same.

I guess the only option left to try is clean install with DDU?

BTW, which is better, LanczosResize or spline64resize?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Better depends on your criteria.

Try both and...you know the drill. ;)
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

OK. Should I try with DDU then?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

Rocky wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:05 am
dgsource("G:\Streams\AVC\Field Structure\00000.dgi",ct=0,cb=0,cl=4,cr=4,rw=1280,rh=720,deinterlace=1)
What is the operation order for DGSource? First deinterlace or resize? If you try to deinterlace a resized video, only a mess can come out, unless the source was interlaced and then resized.

Perhaps a switch to select order would be nice. Or simply execute the switches in the same written order.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

I'm not sure if that would help with my specific problem, I've always used that exact line in the past with no problems.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

eXtremeDevil wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:41 am
OK. Should I try with DDU then?
Yes, please.

I'm pretty sure NVDec is smart enough to do deinterlacing first. Otherwise we'd be seeing artifacts. Anyway, I can't control the order as it is just one call to the NVDec post-processor. As I said it looks fine and dandy here with the test file.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

I'm afraid the result is still the same :( It didn't happen last year and it does not happen when resizing to 704x400.

Is my card broken??
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hard to say. I will install the same driver version you have and see what happens.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

It also happened with the previous driver. Maybe the latest updated messed up something? Can you think of any diagnosis or debug I could try to get more info?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

A friend of mine suggested that maybe it's not a GPU problem, but rather some software interfering, but I can't think of anything that could mess up with your indexer... I don't remember any major change on my PC since the last time it worked.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Fails for me too with 537.58! I am reverting to my working 516.93.

Shoot, the oldest driver they offer is 531.68, and that is broken too. Now what?

Found it: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 054/en-us/

Phwew, back to normal with 516.93! :ugeek:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'm marking this resolved and will file a bug report with nVidia.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

You don't know what a weight you are taking off my shoulders. I have been having problems with my PC and, if my graphics card had been faulty, it would have been the last straw.

I'm curious, is this a nVidia bug, or have they change something in the API or whatever the app uses that causes that? I'm not asking for a full technical explanation here but I would like to know some details of this error.

Also, could we keep this thread to report new nVidia drivers with the fix, or new DGIndexNV with the fix?

Thanks!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

eXtremeDevil wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:29 am
I'm curious, is this a nVidia bug, or have they change something in the API or whatever the app uses that causes that? I'm not asking for a full technical explanation here but I would like to know some details of this error.
I don't have any details for you. It's unlikely that the API changed as I track these things and have seen no such indication. It would also not explain why things work for other resolutions, and why things work with resizing alone, or with deinterlacing alone. So it looks like an nVidia bug and all I can do is file a report. Honestly though, I have reports still open and unanswered after years, so don't get your hopes up.

My advice is always after you have a driver that works well with your card stick to it! Your policy of always upgrading to the latest is very risky, as you have discovered.

Another thing is that the NVDec resizing is just bilinear and therefore low quality. So there are independent reasons to do the resizing in your script with an Avisynth filter. Yes, it's a bit slower but most people are focused on quality.
Also, could we keep this thread to report new nVidia drivers with the fix, or new DGIndexNV with the fix?
I never delete threads and we are always free to follow up here. I only make the green check to indicate that I have completed my analysis and anything that I can do.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

Great, thanks for all the clarifications, two last things though:

1 - You claim 516.93 is the last working driver, but you then put a link for 531.68 and say that you're back to 531.68. So what's the real last working version, 516 or 531?

2 - Does nVidia really have support for these kind of things? You said that you've have bug reports for years, which actually answer my question a bit, but I mean, does nVidia gives support for non-official uses of the card/driver? Or using the driver/API the way the app does it is included in the list of functions of the official API? In that case, if they have official support for their API, I guess they should give support for this kind of things... I'm sorry, it just sounded a bit weird to me to open a bug report to nVidia for an app that has nothing to do with them, and although it uses their API, it is used for video editing in a way that nVidia does not provide officially.

Again, I'm sorry, english is not my native language, I hope my doubt is clear :)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

eXtremeDevil wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
1 - You claim 516.93 is the last working driver, but you then put a link for 531.68 and say that you're back to 531.68. So what's the real last working version, 516 or 531?
516.93 is the link I gave and is a known working version. I corrected my post to say back to 516.93. And I did not say 516.93 is the last working one. I don't know which driver introduced the problem.
2 - Does nVidia really have support for these kind of things? You said that you've have bug reports for years, which actually answer my question a bit, but I mean, does nVidia gives support for non-official uses of the card/driver? Or using the driver/API the way the app does it is included in the list of functions of the official API? In that case, if they have official support for their API, I guess they should give support for this kind of things... I'm sorry, it just sounded a bit weird to me to open a bug report to nVidia for an app that has nothing to do with them, and although it uses their API, it is used for video editing in a way that nVidia does not provide officially.
It's an SDK, you file bugs and reports against that, not any specific application. There are two routes for free support: 1. The bug submission mechanism. You need to be a registered developer with nVidia, which I am. 2. The support forum. Posts there seldom draw attention of nVidia employees and for difficult issues it's unlikely the community can help (I know more than those guys anyway). In the early days of CUVID I was working directly with an nVidia engineer, but those days are over.

My advice is don't hold your breath for a fix.
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

I won't hold my breath xD I guess the bug you submitted is more technical stuff than "deinterlaced and resized videos using SDK are messy", right? xD

I'm learning a LOT with you, BTW :)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

eXtremeDevil wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:26 pm
I guess the bug you submitted is more technical stuff than "deinterlaced and resized videos using SDK are messy", right?
Not really. Well, 'messy' is a bit imprecise, I suppose. The problem with the bug submission system is that you cannot attach files, pics, etc. You have to email them to some special address, citing the bug number. I'm sure they have a very robust system for combining those things. Not!
I'm learning a LOT with you, BTW :)
Always happy to share because, as Balti says, sharing is caring. Or was it Curly?
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

The Salvation Army trademarked the phrase in 1950. To me, it's too trite to be used by high IQ individuals.
Sherman Peabody
Director of Linux Development
Curly

Post by Curly »

For sure, don't blame that shiite on me!
Curly Howard
Director of EAC3TO Development
eXtremeDevil

Post by eXtremeDevil »

:bow:
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

Nobody cares about interlaced content anymore. That's why it is unlikely to get fixed.