NVIDIA 551.xx Driver Breaks DGDecNV

Support forum for DGDecNV
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

No worries on the laptop as I only use it as a backup just to test. I primarily use the server and the new server I'll be getting soon.

The new DGIndexNV works but so did the previous version by the way. I was able to open the files and save them successfully as dgi files.

I need to head out and won't be back until this evening. If you need me to do anything else, let me know as I'll check back in around 5 or 6pm. Thanks much.
---
omay, arrylay, curlyq & associates
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

AYColumbia wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am
The new DGIndexNV works but so did the previous version by the way.
What is the previous version? You said 252 and 253 were broken! Or did you mean only on the laptop?
I need to head out and won't be back until this evening. If you need me to do anything else, let me know as I'll check back in around 5 or 6pm. Thanks much.
OK thanks. I don't know what 5pm is for you. Next time say back in X hours.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:04 am
AYColumbia wrote:
The new DGIndexNV works but so did the previous version by the way.
What is the previous version? You said 252 and 253 were broken! Or did you mean only on the laptop?
The first special build of DGIndexNV had 252 in the help | about. That one works fine on both server and laptop. So does the new one with 253 in help | about.
Rocky wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:04 am
AYColumbia wrote:
OK thanks. I don't know what 5pm is for you. Next time say back in X hours.
Yeah, my bad. :facepalm: ugh...I'll use x hours next time.

I'm back for about 30-40 minutes and then gone until tomorrow. I'm in US Central btw.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So just to be clear, DGIndexNV_AY.zip works on both server and laptop? Just say yes or no. Thank you.;)
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Rocky wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:57 pm
So just to be clear, DGIndexNV_AY.zip works on both server and laptop? Just say yes or no. Thank you.;)
Yes.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK great, then we're done!
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Okie doke. :salute:
---
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I was just reviewing the thread and saw that I missed answering some questions you had. Apologies for that.
...What is the OS on your server? How much RAM does it have? How much of that RAM is free at the time of running DGIndexNV?
What is the OS on your server? Win 10 Pro 64bit with latest updates
How much RAM does it have? 8G (can be easily upped if need be)
How much of that RAM is free at the time of running DGIndexNV? 3.8G - when running the AYC build, which works, it goes down to 3.4G and pretty much stays there during the dgi file creation on save.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for the update, AY. Gonna make a slipstream today.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Thank you. I just noticed an update in the binaries thread so I'll grab the latest. Hopefully no more to report after this one. :)

[UPDATE] the latest slipstream did NOT work sadly. I tried it with your "clip-fails-to-load-hevc1080p.265" file and one of mine. I'm not bothering with the laptop btw so sticking to just the server. I'm tempted to buy a new card and upgrade to an RTX on this server.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't know what to tell you. You're the only guy experiencing this random issue. Without being able to reproduce things there's nothing I can do for you. If someone else starts getting this that will change things, but for now there's nothing for me to do. If I were you I'd add more RAM to the server as 8GB is pretty low these days.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I get it. I appreciate everything you did to help and try to resolve. At least for now I can still use your AYC build until I get more RAM and upgrade the video card. Thanks again.
---
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Wanted to post an update in case you may be interested. I upgraded the memory by adding 16G so total 24G now. Still crashes with the official release (I did grab 254). With 18.8G free, loading UI then goes down to 18.7G. Loading a file that fails doesn't change available from 18.7G.

GPU-Z shows memory used around 5300. Loading DG UI goes up to around 5365. During mkv load it went up to around 5375 before failing.

Got my new server running Win 11, 32G RAM and an RTX 4070 and it works fine. What lower end and less expensive RTX would you recommend. Was looking at the 3060 but a little too much after spending mucho bucks on the new server. ;)
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

You don't get a failure on the new server but still do on the old one? Your post is not clear about it.

What is your budget for a "low-end" card? Not sure why you specified low end. It doesn't really mean anything all by itself.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Yes, works fine on the new server but still fails on the old server which now has 24G RAM.

I am wondering why the special AYC build works but the official release does not. I guess that special build has some debug code or some kludge that wouldn't be appropriate in a production build.

I guess my budget is around $150 so poking around, I'm seeing an RTX 3050 getting close to that. A little over but not by much. I guess any RTX is going to be an improvement over the GTX 1060 I currently have.

Once I decide on a card and get it upgraded, I'll post back with the results. It may be a week or two so don't hold your breath. ;)
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

AYColumbia wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:24 am
I am wondering why the special AYC build works but the official release does not.
Me too. It's some kind of random thing on your system. The one change between the AYC special and the release was totally unrelated.
I guess any RTX is going to be an improvement over the GTX 1060 I currently have.
It's better but don't expect miracles. The RTX 3050 and GTX 1060 are about the same price so if you need to have another card go for the RTX 3050. But if you are just looking to replace the GTX 1060 for CUDA purposes and you are not doing gaming, it might be hard to justify.
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I only use the server for CUDA purposes and no gaming so, yes, I can't justify the upgrade right now.

This issue only reared its ugly head when driver 551.xxx was introduced so it has to be something related to a change nvidia made is my thought on that. Since pre-551 works I'm just going to go back to the latest version prior to 551 since I had no issues. The 1060 has been a good performer and I'm going to stick with it for now. :)
---
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

So I took a little time to see if the same thing happens on my tower that used to be my primary encoding server and the same thing is happening, i.e., same type of failure. I use this server now just for general computing but was curious. I'm attaching info from cpu-z and gpu-z. I'm not expecting anything and just thought you may be interested in the info.

CPU-Z
2024-03-31 10_02_38-CPU-Z.png
GPU-Z
20240331 gpu-z_snapshot.gif
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I just don't get it. I have a 4770K with a 1080 Ti and it is fine. Running Win10 Pro. Try to find a common feature between the systems that fail and those that don't.

When you say "server" what does that mean? Just you designating that or some feature set of the hardware/software?
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:58 pm
...When you say "server" what does that mean? Just you designating that or some feature set of the hardware/software?
I just use "server" as a term for my computers that are NOT laptops. They're all towers physically that used to serve as "servers" but not running a server OS like Windows Server. So "server" is analogous to desktop/tower that is NOT a laptop.

BTW, I did post the issue on NVIDIA's forum for the 551.86 feedback thread but haven't seen anything from NVIDIA yet. I also submitted the issue via their "feedback" from GeForce Experience so we'll see if they respond with anything. It seems that 551 has a lot of issues based on the posts in the feedback thread. I only said that I'm using a tool and not DGIndexNV specifically. Stay tuned as I'll post back once I hear back.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you. You could also say it's failing with their own NVDec sample (aka CUVID sample).
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I haven't seen any responses from NVIDIA yet on this issue on the support forum nor from their direct support. In the meanwhile, I found a link to the 551.86 release notes and was wondering if anything there may give a clue? I only bring it up as I skimmed through it and it does seem to have API changes. Anyhow, I thought you may want to check it out when you have time. I'm working with the older driver right now so no hurry AFAIC. Thanks much.

GRD 551.86 Release Notes PDF.
---
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you. Not seeing anything useful for us in there. :(
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

I appreciate you looking at it.
---