[RESOLVED] Interlaced VC-1 logs as progressive

Support forum for DGDecNV
laserfan

[RESOLVED] Interlaced VC-1 logs as progressive

Post by laserfan »

admin do you know of any issues wrt writing the log file for interlaced VC-1? I have some 1080i TV shows (from BD disc) I'm working with that the log file said were "Frame Structure: Progressive". Using Preview I can see in the Info dialog that there are mostly Frame Interlaced and some Field Interlaced Frame Structs therein, but nothing Progressive so the log had confused me when I looked at it initially (and all I'd used to that point was the CLI) trying to figure out how to handle this.

Perhaps there is something hinky about this video so I have uploaded a snippet with my simple cmdline here.

P.S. I see my "What this is.txt" in the 7z file is empty. Here's what I meant to include:

AFAICT this is a tff interlaced program.

1. Open with DGIndexNV and check "Enable Info Log"
2. Upon Play, at no time does Frame Struct (Information popup) show other than "Field Interlaced" or "Frame Interlaced"
3. Ends showing Field Interlaced
4. snip.log shows Frame Structure: Progressive

Place files in C:\test

1. Run test.bat i.e.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DGIndexNV\DGIndexNV" -i C:\test\snip.vc1 -o C:\test\snip.dgi -e

2. snip.log shows Frame Structure: Progressive
admin

Re: Interlaced VC-1 logs as Frame Structure: Progressive

Post by admin »

mediafire keeps erroring out and not starting my download. Can you try a different site?

Meanwhile I will check the code.

Does this happen if you do not use CLI but just open DGIndexNV in GUI mode?
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:Does this happen if you do not use CLI but just open DGIndexNV in GUI mode?
Hmmm I just DL'ed it again and mediafire worked no problem. I'll hunt-up my acoustic coupler and try uploading it again somewhere else... ;)

Honestly, when I first tried the GUI mode on the program I did sometimes get a correct result. Indeed it seems to me when I first made the snip.vc1 for you using DGSplit, I got a good log result (Interlaced) using DGIndexNV. Good grief--what good is this for DG. Then I tried the CLI on it and got Progressive. Then I tried DGIndexNV GUI again (Save As .dgi) and Info said Interlaced and log said Progressive and I went back & forth a few times with the snip.vc1 and got Progressive in the log every time and so I finally decided to pack it-up for you.

So to me the GUI behaved inconsistently as if it was not clearing some flag i.e. if I ran it more than once in succession I'd get a different result vs. if I quit DGIndexNV GUI and opened it again from scratch. I'm struggling a bit this morning to remember for certain: but I think I've always gotten the wrong result from cli mode, only the GUI sometimes gets it right and sometimes does not. Hopefully the sample will demonstrate this wierdness for you.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:mediafire keeps erroring out and not starting my download. Can you try a different site?
OK, I uploaded again to megaupload.com as well.

If that doesn't work pls tell me a free site you like. Thanks for looking at this.
admin

Post by admin »

Got the stream and duplicated the issue. In the GUI, doing Save Project results in Progressive while Preview does not, so something is indeed amiss. Investigating...
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:Got the stream and duplicated the issue.
Glad to hear it. I suspect I/L 1080 VC-1 is a rare bird indeed. In fact, I just realized that I'd saved one from a year ago when I was having trouble decoding VC-1. Interestingly:

1. A year ago Feb. when I was playing with this other clip (and using old DGVC1DecNV) the logs did also show "Progressive". Yeah I save everything. :oops:

2. Again latest DGIndexNV does also show it as Progressive

So it seems this has been around for a long time and none of us noticed it before. If you want to see this other clip I can upload that as well.

Of course, this is a very minor bug but I know you loves to squash 'em. And it no doubt confuses only rank amateurs like myself. :)
DAE avatar
cecom

Post by cecom »

Hello,

It's my first post here, so I would like to thank You for Your great DGindexNV/DGdecodeNV. They helped me a lot and I am so happy to use them.

Some similar with me.
Both (BBC Human Planet) and (BBC Life 2009) Blurays episodes extracted to MKVs.
All of them reported by MediaInfo as VC-1 Interlaced. Some example:
Video
ID : 1
Format : VC-1
Format profile : AP@L3
Codec ID : WVC1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Duration : 58mn 32s
Bit rate : 31.3 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.604
Stream size : 12.8 GiB (92%)

Same MKVs reported as VC-1 Progresiive by DGIndexNV (example below):
Stream Type: Matroska
Video Type: VC1
Profile: Advanced
Level: 3
Coded Size: 1920x1088
DAR: 16x9
Display Size: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 25.000000 fps
Colorimetry: BT.709 [1]*
Frame Structure: Progressive
Frame Type: P
Coded Number: 87800
Playback Number: 87800
Frame Repeats: 0
Field Repeats: 0
Bitrate:
Bitrate (Avg):
Bitrate (Max):
Audio Stream: 2: A_DTS 48000 6ch "eng"
Elapsed: 0:02:10
Remain: 0:00:00
FPS:
Info: Finished!

As step 1 I have checked if the material is true interlaced:
1. Start MEGui / Tools / AVS Script Creator
2. Load example.dgi file as Video Input
3. On Script tab examine avs script created
LoadPlugin("DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("example.dgi",fieldop=0)
4. On Filters tab hit Analize button
5. The result for Source Type was:
BBC Human Planet: Progressive
BBC Life: Partially interlaced, and Yadif proposed as deinterlacer

As step 2 I have examined step by step series of the BBC Life:
1. As a rule first part (main) of the serie is Progressive with some exeptions (episode 7 mixed progressive/interlaced)
2. As a rule second part (behind the scenes) of the serie is Interlaced with some progressive (references to main serie) parts, final credits interlaced too.
3. All of BBC Human Planet series was entirely progressive.

As step 3 I have tested Nvidia deinterlacer with DGdecodeNV:
1. Create avs script like:
LoadPlugin("DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("example.dgi",fieldop=0,deinterlace=1)
2. The result was:
progressive part: some visible artefacts
interlaced part: deinterlaced with some visible artefacts

So, my questions are:
1. Why DGIndexNV (2039) reports streem as Progressive?
2. How to apply Nvidia deinterlacer (DGdecodeNV.dll (2039)) on interlaced parts only?

My tests in progress:
1. Use Yadif as deinterlacer:
progressive parts: looks untouched
interlaced parts: deinterlaced with some visible artefacts, fast speed
2. Use QTGMC as deinterlacer:
progressive parts: looks untouched
interlaced parts: deinterlaced with barely visible artefacts, very slow
admin

Post by admin »

@cecom

Please provide a link to a stream that I can use to duplicate your issue. Without that I cannot help you.
admin

Post by admin »

Fixed in version 2040. Marking resolved.
laserfan

Re: [RESOLVED] Interlaced VC-1 logs as progressive

Post by laserfan »

The output log had confused me before because it said Frame Structure was Progressive.

I tried 2040 GUI and CLI on two Interlaced VC1 clips I have and now the log is simply blank after both Frame Structure: and Type: and the Info window shows Interlaced.

No more contradictions. Thanks!
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Interlaced VC-1 logs as progressive

Post by admin »

The fields that I disabled during Save Project are per-frame variables. Thus, they must be re-ordered in display order for display in the Info dialog. But the re-ordering is done by the CUVID decoding. When doing Save Project (indexing), no decoding is done so it is problematic to get the display order. Also, when doing Save Project we want the process to go as fast as possible, and even if I did update the fields with correct display order data, it would be silly since it would go by so fast that it would unusable (for play we have slow speed and single stepping).

So the appropriate thing to do was to simply disable per-frame fields when doing Save Project. You'll notice I did that for AVC and MPEG as well.