transcoding glitch

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: transcoding glitch

Post by admin »

The disk has arrived and I have completed some testing. I used 2041. I outputed an elementary stream from x264 instead of an MKV as you did. Then I made a project from that and viewed the result using a minimal script and VirtualDub. I do not see any glitches around 42:38 or anywhere else.

Can you try repeating the exercise as I have done it, supposing that maybe the MKV difference is important?
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:The disk has arrived and I have completed some testing. I used 2041. I outputed an elementary stream from x264 instead of an MKV as you did. Then I made a project from that and viewed the result using a minimal script and VirtualDub. I do not see any glitches around 42:38 or anywhere else.

Can you try repeating the exercise as I have done it, supposing that maybe the MKV difference is important?
how do I do an "elementary stream" ? to .h264 ?. can you paste your command line in any case? thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

Just change '-o count.mkv' to '-o count.264'.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:Just change '-o count.mkv' to '-o count.264'.
ok. I need a couple of days to reget the disc, I will try this on the tv show meanwhile. Just to be 100% sure I'm doing like you did. the .h264 was done with resize/crop like I did with my mkv? If the mkv container might be the reason for this could using an mp4 container instead make any difference ? My knowledge is not vast so if this is a silly question to ask please excuse me :)
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

hmm, I've made an .h264 for the the tv show source. loading it on dgindexnv to make a new project requires any special changes? cause it doesn't seem to do anything when I load it regularly. no preview or info showing. When I save project the navigation bar gets greyed out but nothing really seems to happen even though cpu usage goes to around 25%
admin

Post by admin »

sandy_geser wrote:ok. I need a couple of days to reget the disc, I will try this on the tv show meanwhile. Just to be 100% sure I'm doing like you did. the .h264 was done with resize/crop like I did with my mkv?
My script had only DGSource().
If the mkv container might be the reason for this could using an mp4 container instead make any difference?
It's possible but I prefer to eliminate any container complications at all.
hmm, I've made an .h264 for the the tv show source. loading it on dgindexnv to make a new project requires any special changes? cause it doesn't seem to do anything when I load it regularly. no preview or info showing. When I save project the navigation bar gets greyed out but nothing really seems to happen even though cpu usage goes to around 25%
Nothing special needs to be done to open a .264 elementary stream. So, you made a .264 elementary stream, you load it in to DGIndexNV and then hit F5 and you don't see video? If so, please cut the first 50MB of the .264 using DGSplit, upload it to mediafire.com, and post the link here.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:
sandy_geser wrote:Just to be 100% sure I'm doing like you did. the .h264 was done with resize/crop like I did with my mkv?
My script had only DGSource().
that's for the m2ts to .h264 or .h264 to avs+vdub? my mkv was with crop and resize. actually I did one with just crop as well.
neuron2 wrote:Nothing special needs to be done to open a .264 elementary stream. So, you made a .264 elementary stream, you load it in to DGIndexNV and then hit F5 and you don't see video? If so, please cut the first 50MB of the .264 using DGSplit, upload it to mediafire.com, and post the link here.
indeed, when I hit F5 I get "no video frames found". I does sort of play on vlc but very jumbled. but reading your post again now you wrote .264 not .h264 which is what I did. maybe that's the reason...guess I will do it again then.

update: did a short clip to see if it makes any difference but .264 doesn't load either.

here's the file requested: http://www.mediafire.com/?281q24gdjy5zr2l
admin

Post by admin »

sandy_geser wrote:that's for the m2ts to .h264 or .h264 to avs+vdub?
Both.

If you cannot open the .264 you created, something is horribly wrong with your system or your process.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:
sandy_geser wrote:that's for the m2ts to .h264 or .h264 to avs+vdub?
Both.

If you cannot open the .264 you created, something is horribly wrong with your system or your process.
that sounds very promising ;) can you open the file I've uploaded?
admin

Post by admin »

Downloaded the file and opened and played it without any problems in DGIndexNV 2041. Just opened it and hit F5. It's "Camelot". (Don't use VLC, it doesn't play AVC elementary streams reliably.)

Are you storing the file on a local hard disk, a USB drive, or a network drive when you try to play it? Please try copying it to a local hard disk if it isn't already there.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:Downloaded the file and opened and played it without any problems in DGIndexNV 2041. Just opened it and hit F5. It's "Camelot". (Don't use VLC, it doesn't play AVC elementary streams reliably.)

Are you storing the file on a local hard disk, a USB drive, or a network drive when you try to play it? Please try copying it to a local hard disk if it isn't already there.
I did it all on a local disc. no idea why it won't do anything for me on dgindexnv...
admin

Post by admin »

Then it seems we have come to the end of the line and have to attribute it to a system issue of yours.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

neuron2 wrote:Then it seems we have come to the end of the line and have to attribute it to a system issue of yours.
well I did this tv thing on 2 different pcs and both resulted in the same issue. I will fire up the other one and see if it will take the .h264 or not.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

same thing on the other pc. tried the full .h264 and the .264 short clip with the same result. the 50mb file I've uploaded freezes dgindex completely on both pcs.
if you have any ideas as to what can cause this I'd be happy to hear. In any case thanks for your help. Does my inability to open the elementary files rules out the possibility the glitch is cause by some other factor like say the container?
admin

Post by admin »

As I said, if you can't open the file something is horribly wrong and any further speculation would be pointless. You're the only person out of many thousands that reports being unable to open a simple .264 file in DGIndexNV.

You said "dgindex". Just to be sure... You meant DGIndexNV? You're not trying to open this in DGIndex, right? Please be precise so that we have a chance of solving this.

Can you open this one:

http://rationalqm.us/guest/frames.264

It's about as plain vanilla as one can get.

Can you provide full system details for both PCs? Can you open the file in DGAVCIndex?

@all

Is anybody else unable to open sandy_geser's file?
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

I cannot open frame.264 either. Reflecting about it a bit I remember not being able to open those elem. streams before either, what I did then was use the non-nv tool, dgavcdec109. that one opens the elem. streams easily with preview etc. Just tried it with the test files I did - it opens them without a hitch.
admin

Post by admin »

Please provide full system details for both PCs as I requested, including nVidia chipset and driver versions.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

admin wrote:As I said, if you can't open the file something is horribly wrong and any further speculation would be pointless. You're the only person out of many thousands that reports being unable to open a simple .264 file in DGIndexNV.

You said "dgindex". Just to be sure... You meant DGIndexNV? You're not trying to open this in DGIndex, right?
yes, I meant DGIndexNV
admin wrote:Can you open this one:

http://rationalqm.us/guest/frames.264

It's about as plain vanilla as one can get.
I can't.
admin wrote:Can you provide full system details for both PCs?
1: Win7 Pro x64, 8gb ram, i7 2600k, GeForce GT 520, driver 8.17.12.8562 (10/15/2011)
2: win server 2008 R2 enterprise, 6gb ram, i7 950, GeForce GT 430, driver 8.17.12.8026 (8/3/2011)

any other details needed?
admin wrote:Can you open the file in DGAVCIndex?
yes. no problems.

sorry, I missed some of the questions earlier, it's late...
admin

Post by admin »

Please try on a Win XP/7 32-bit OS if possible and report the results. Thanks for your efforts and patience as I try to figure out what might be relevant here.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

I will try and find such but it's not going to be easy :( had a friend try it on a w7 pro x64 with gt 240. works fine.
also I did what you described with the elem. stream of the tv ep but used dgavcdec109. the glitch is there. I will try it with the movie too when I can get it again. I did all the trial trieouts with the the tv source and not so much with the movie so I guess it's worth trying the movie now.
admin

Post by admin »

Forget about the glitch. If you hang when you open a file that needs to be addressed first.

I will reboot my dual boot machine to Win 7 64-bit tomorrow and test your stream.
admin

Post by admin »

Everything works fine on my Win 7 64 system.
clumpco

Post by clumpco »

sandy_geser wrote:1: Win7 Pro x64, 8gb ram, i7 2600k, GeForce GT 520, driver 8.17.12.8562 (10/15/2011)
I have an identical system here, frames.264 opened and played perfectly.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

it seems I somehow fixed the elementary streams loading issue. not at all sure how. basically deleted all the dgavcnv I had before and got fresh ones. now it's working on both pcs. gonna test the tv show again now.
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

I don't have the movie yet so I did some tests with the tv title. elementary .264 with only dgsource() - no glitch. elementary .264 with resize to 1280x720 - glitch.
I also had a friend try a standard transcode (.dgi + resize to 1280x720 in avs to mkv) - no glitches for him. his card is 8400 GS.

I think this specific source might be different to the movie one cause I had the glitch repeating in the movie in both resized and unresized encodes.

update:
finally got the movie. did a .264 with simple avs (dgsource()) and the glitch is there big and ugly. Encoding just a 30 secs clip (or use trim on full m2ts) in which the glitch appears in a full encode results in no glitch.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6m835mj7u5tbr5y