[RESOLVED] Glitch in decoding

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Boulder

[RESOLVED] Glitch in decoding

Post by Boulder »

Hello Don,

I just ran into my first problem with DGDecNV. The blu-ray "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" has these glitches throughout the movie using SEt's latest Avisynth v2.6 MT build and a script that just loads the source. My card is a GT520, driver version v285.62.

I managed to find a snippet in which the glitches occur and uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?0i11hihhk33zuek . The glitches do not appear in the same frame every time, they are quite random. However, I've noticed that they occur mostly when there is a camera pan or similar movement in the video. I also noticed that in VDub sometimes you cannot trace back to the frame which had the glitch, it looks perfectly fine when approaching it from the future frames. It seems that B-frames are the ones that have the issue so maybe these two things are related.

If you need anything else, just let me know.
admin

Re: Glitch in decoding

Post by admin »

I'll try to reproduce this tonight but I make no claims that anything will work with MT builds. You're on your own in MT land.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

I quickly tested Avisynth v2.58 and it has the same issue. The glitch looks like this:

I have also tried the tricks mentioned in that one previous thread regarding decoding glitches (settings Decode_Modes=0,1,0 and use_d3d=true) but that doesn't help either.
admin

Post by admin »

Tell me exactly how to reproduce it. Does it happen just playing the script in VirtualDub?
admin

Post by admin »

No problem playing the script in VirtualDub with 280.26.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

It happens while playing the script in VDub but also when encoding to x264 (I noticed the problem when checking the quality of my re-encode). If I use DirectShowSource to decode - it utilizes CoreAVC - there are no glitches.
admin

Post by admin »

I've had nothing but trouble with my 520. It didn't error on this stream but it is an under-powered piece of junk IMHO. As soon as the high-end cards with VP5 arrive, I'm junking it.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Hehe, I got the cheapest one without anything special because I wanted passive cooling. It has worked fine until this video came along :cry:

If this one cannot be reproduced and thus fixed, can anyone recommend any other way of decoding it safely? My script does utilize MVTools2 so it uses (one or two) forward and backward frame when processing the script.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

The issue sure seems to be something in CUDA. If I use DSS to load the source and select CUDA decoding in CoreAVC, I get the same glitches..

Can I bother someone at nVidia with this issue? Does anyone ever get an answer there?
DAE avatar
kypec

Post by kypec »

Boulder wrote:Does anyone ever get an answer there?
Something's telling me that Donald G. surely shouldn't be left unanswered by NVidia... :lol:
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

But it's a bit difficult for him to try to do something as he cannot reproduce the issue :D
DAE avatar
sandy_geser

Post by sandy_geser »

I had issues with non-520 cards too, described in other threads.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:I've had nothing but trouble with my 520. It didn't error on this stream but it is an under-powered piece of junk IMHO. As soon as the high-end cards with VP5 arrive, I'm junking it.
Since your HO is so well-respected here and elsewhere, I wonder if you can elaborate on your findings re: your 520? :?:
admin

Post by admin »

laserfan wrote:
neuron2 wrote:I've had nothing but trouble with my 520. It didn't error on this stream but it is an under-powered piece of junk IMHO. As soon as the high-end cards with VP5 arrive, I'm junking it.
Since your HO is so well-respected here and elsewhere, I wonder if you can elaborate on your findings re: your 520?
I will tell you only if you tell me what "HO" means. :lol:

But I'll tell everyone else right now. I see two very bad things:

1. I have the 520 card as my secondary monitor. I start the system from cold. Everything works fine for a while. Then after a while the screen attached to the 520 card goes dim, into an essentially unusable state. Is the card overheating? The fan is fine, the connections are all fine. Maybe it's just this one card, I don't know, but I'll just ditch it when VP5 is available on a high-end card.

2. Streams that played correctly with decoding on the 520 card will suddenly produce only stripes until I power cycle. When it is in that state if I switch to my 460, the stream plays fine, switch back to 520 gives stripes. Power cycle fixes it, as I said.

Maybe it's just this manufacturer (Galaxy), I do not know. But I can say this 520 card is one of the crappiest things I have ever put in a computer.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:I can say this 520 card is one of the crappiest things I have ever put in a computer.
Hmmm why don't you tell us what you REALLY think! :lol:

Thanks--I hope you just have a bad board but I wouldn't know if my MSI N520GT sucks also or not--I unplugged it awhile back in favor of my trusty 9600GT... :D
admin

Post by admin »

Wait!

You didn't tell me what "HO" means. In the context "nappy-headed ho", which got a radio guy in trouble, I understand it. But in your context...?
DAE avatar
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Humble Opinion ?
admin

Post by admin »

Of course, silly me.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:You didn't tell me what "HO" means.
Speaking of Don Imus, I wonder what ever happened to Larry Lujack? I mighta guessed if anyone would get into trouble with words it woulda been him. You're prolly too young to know about him...

It never occurred to me that HO might be taken out-of-context! Thank you jpsdr! :lol:
admin

Post by admin »

laserfan wrote:I wonder what ever happened to Larry Lujack? I mighta guessed if anyone would get into trouble with words it woulda been him. You're prolly too young to know about him...
Ha ha, I'm probably older than you! Let's just say that when Larry started at WCFL Chicago I was just starting university.

Larry's last appearance on air was as part of the WLS "The Big 89 Rewind" on Memorial Day, 2007 and 2008 when the station returned to its "MusicRadio" programming, featuring many of the former WLS personalities and special guests, other DJs, etc. I don't know where he is now.

How about Steve and Gary? I liked those two.
laserfan

Post by laserfan »

neuron2 wrote:I don't know where he is now.
It seems he's retired to New Mexico (I wonder if he and Imus are neighbors). I retired to Texas long ago (and am WAY older than you!).

I wonder if I still have his "uncle lar' and lil' tommy animal stories" record somewhere. I did also enjoy his "Cheap Trashy Show Biz Reports"!

And now back to our regularly-scheduled programming--bashing our crappy 520s...! ;)
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

Is there any other news than GT520 being a piece of crap? For what it's worth, I've experienced some more similar glitches. To me it seems that AVC decoding has the problem (but not with all sources), I don't think I ever saw it on VC-1 ones. It's also obviously affecting only B-frames.

I took a look at the nVidia forums but I am afraid to ask anything there in the CUDA section as I do not possess sufficient knowledge :mrgreen:
admin

Post by admin »

There's no news because I have never been able to duplicate the reported issue.
clumpco

Post by clumpco »

neuron2 wrote:There's no news because I have never been able to duplicate the reported issue.
Just FYI...
I have an Asus 520 and it has been perfect from Day 1. I know that the circuit-board layout is pretty much standardised by NVidia, but maybe Asus have used better components (or not pushed them to the limit)?
Or maybe it's just luck.
DAE avatar
Boulder

Post by Boulder »

clumpco wrote:
neuron2 wrote:There's no news because I have never been able to duplicate the reported issue.
Just FYI...
I have an Asus 520 and it has been perfect from Day 1. I know that the circuit-board layout is pretty much standardised by NVidia, but maybe Asus have used better components (or not pushed them to the limit)?
Or maybe it's just luck.
Don, which OS do you have (I'm on Win7 64-bit)? The issue seems to be CUDA in general since other applications suffer from it as well.

I also have an Asus card, I think it's this model: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVID ... TDI1GD3LP/#

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try different drivers to see what happens.