[RESOLVED] NVIDIA 295 Series Beta Driver Issues

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Chouonsoku

[RESOLVED] NVIDIA 295 Series Beta Driver Issues

Post by Chouonsoku »

I can't provide a lot of details, as I'm not 100% how to go about doing so. Recently, I upgraded my graphics drivers from the 290.53 beta drivers to the recently releases 295.73 beta. After this update, I noticed that anytime my PC would go "idle" (obviously not true idle since x264 is running), that when I return all of my encodes seemed to drop to 0 fps and would output a video with correct frame count but only green frames. This led me to believe there's something wrong with the decoding, but I couldn't figure out why. I took DGDecNV out of my workflow temporarily and this fixed my problem but that's not a long term solution for me. I downgraded my drivers back to 290.53 on a whim and every encode has been successful since then. Had 24 queued last night that all finished and are perfect.

The problem only occurred when I wasn't using the computer, basically. All encodes running in the background while I'm going about my business worked just as they normally would, and any encodes started before the computer went idle would finish successfully and without errors or glitches. Only new encodes started after the computer went idle had these issues, which leads me to believe there's some sort of new power management feature in these drivers. On my PC, my Power options are set to High Performance and my hard drives never turn off. I've also enabled "Prefer maximum performance" in NVIDIA Control Panel.

Since x264.exe doesn't crash I couldn't find any logs in Event Viewer and my x264 output probably isn't very helpful either. If need by I can upgrade to the 295.73 drivers again and recreate the problem.
admin

Re: NVIDIA 295 Series Beta Driver Issues

Post by admin »

It's news to me. Of course, I don't support beta video drivers!

But let me ask you, do you have a screensaver that is kicking in? If so, try disabling it.

Post again if you get this with a released (non-beta) driver. You might also report this to nVidia.
DAE avatar
Chouonsoku

Post by Chouonsoku »

No screen saver, my monitor is just set to sleep after 15 minutes. And yeah, I figured there wasn't any "real" support when involving beta drivers but I've never had any issues in the past with beta drivers, and this was a weird one for me so I thought I'd mention it anyway. I'll wait and see what happens when the WHQL 295 series driver releases.
admin

Post by admin »

Try turning off the monitor sleep.
DAE avatar
Trapstar

Post by Trapstar »

I'm using WHQL 295.73 drivers and I had the exact same issue, turning off monitor sleep seems to have fixed it. Would be great if it can be fixed though so i can use monitor sleep again.
admin

Post by admin »

I don't think it can be fixed, at least not in my application. It's a "feature" of the video driver, IMHO.
DAE avatar
mastrboy

Post by mastrboy »

try the newest driver which just got released: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-win ... iaupdate=1
admin

Post by admin »

Marking resolved as the OP has abandoned the thread, and in any case there's nothing DGDecNV can do about this. Workaround if it is still happening with latest nVidia drivers is to turn off monitor sleep.