Feature Requests

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: Feature Requests

Post by admin »

Investigating the subs number issue...

Dialog norm is not removed. I'll look into doing that optionally. Right now, I don't even know what it is. :lol:
DAE avatar
renols

Post by renols »

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 am

Dialog norm is not removed. I'll look into doing that optionally. Right now, I don't even know what it is. :lol:
Hehe.

I have no clue either. Just notice when using eac3to that it removes it per default, and it says that it is not recommended not to remove it.

-keepDialnorm disables dialog normalization removal (not recommended)

Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject :-)

Thanks for looking into the subs counting issue.

renols
admin

Post by admin »

OK, for subs counting I was not allowing for subs that require more than one Object Definition Segment (because they are too large to fit in one). I now read the flag that identifies the first one and increment only when I see that. Will be in the next slipstream.

Looking into dialog norm now...
admin

Post by admin »

So, in view of the following link, and the fact that in the entire history of DGIndex and DGIndexNV nobody has ever complained about the demuxed audio not removing dialnorm, I don't plan to do anything about it unless someone makes a very convincing case for it.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/ ... -2000.html
DAE avatar
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

renols wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am
admin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 am

Hehe.

I have no clue either. Just notice when using eac3to that it removes it per default, and it says that it is not recommended not to remove it.

-keepDialnorm disables dialog normalization removal (not recommended)

Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject :-)

Thanks for looking into the subs counting issue.

renols
eac3to doesn't remove DN on DTS-HD streams (since it never worked anyway).
Before update v3.29, it was only a cosmetic error that says it was removed (when it never really was).
There's lots of posts about it on doom9 forum if you search.

Removign DN is recommended if you want to transcode to a different format.
It's only metadata, no real conversion.

DN is not the same as Dynamic Range Compression, which requires re-encoding the whole stream.

There's a lot of info on doom9 forums:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158044
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info, sparktank!
DAE avatar
sparktank

Post by sparktank »

I've been so used to dealing with just AVC progressive streams, that going back to SD content on DVD (MPEG), I find myself brushing up on things I haven't needed to look up for some time.

Would it, by chance, be too much to ask for a cheatsheet for the info in the *.dgi Files?
The info the DGI files is more relevant than screenshotting the live index with DGdecNV.

Just minor things, like what the colormetry of 2 2 2 means in the file.
Probably just the common and expected (legal) formats allowed.

I keep text files of these, but mainly just for AVC as I tend to neglect anything that doesn't use AVC.

And when I upgrade my card to index HEVC, there'll be more cheatsheets for that as well.

I really can't remember where I keep the free documents on the format specifications.
I should be keeping shortcuts on the desktop in a folder, but I like my desktop super clean.
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 | GPU Caps Viewer
Windows 10 Annversary (x64) | ASVPlus_x64
Region A/R1
admin

Post by admin »

DGI file formats and semantics are described in the DGIndexNV user manual. Is there something missing?
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Crop

Post by Guest 2 »

I'd like a faster way to use video crop, such as it was before the last slipstream.

Could you please make DGIndexNV cropping to interact with template.avs and output the wanted values in DGSource()?

Please :D
admin

Post by admin »

Seems to me you should have brought this up while we were deciding what to do. You're basically asking me to just revert the changes we made.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 am
Seems to me you should have brought this up while we were deciding what to do. You're basically asking me to just revert the changes we made.
Sorry, I miss the board for a while and noticed the change when done.

I am not asking to change DGI again with CLIP line.

I am just asking to permit template.avs to receive parameters for ct, cb, cl, cr from DGIndexNV.

Thus doing, nothing would change if nothing is added in template.avs.

It's just a fast and easy way to have a ready AVS script to feed a x264 encoding.
admin

Post by admin »

OK, that seems reasonable. I'll see what I can do. We'll need to have __ct__ and similar variables in the template, etc. We can debate whether it should be available via CLI.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 am
OK, that seems reasonable. I'll see what I can do. We'll need to have __ct__ and similar variables in the template, etc.
Thanks. That would make life easier when not using a encoding GUI.
admin wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 am
We can debate whether it should be available via CLI.
IMHO it's a bit hard to clip a video without a GUI, unless you decide to sample some random frames and crop the best case of each of the four sides. Let's think about some IMAX BD, with 2.35 AR on some parts of the movie and then a 1.9 one in others.

Well, now that I am thinking, it could be nice to have an automatic sampling in the GUI too.
admin

Post by admin »

Don't push your luck. ;)
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Well, now that I am thinking, it could be nice to have an automatic sampling in the GUI too.
I just select three or four spots and compare the crop values
DAE avatar
Sharc

Re: Feature Requests: Orientation

Post by Sharc »

Hi Donald
.mp4 files may include the parameter "Rotation" (in degrees). After demuxing with DGdecNV this parameter gets lost, i.e. it is neither kept in the .dgi nor in the elementary video stream.
Would it be possible to include it at the end of the .dgi (similar to the resolution) ?
Mobile phone video clips can be taken in portrait or landscape (at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees). Preserving the correct orientation is essential for re-encoding to avoid turned and flipped pictures (I think).
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm
Don't push your luck. ;)
:oops: :mrgreen:
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

gonca wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:29 pm
I just select three or four spots and compare the crop values
Me too. On really old restored movies, such as ones from Criterion, AR varies according to the found positives. It's really hard and time consuming but, hey, we are talking about masterpieces.
admin

Post by admin »

'Export to script' checkbox added to Cropping Tool in slipstream 164. Refer to the user manual for proper operation.
admin

Post by admin »

Sharc wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:47 am
Hi Donald
.mp4 files may include the parameter "Rotation" (in degrees). After demuxing with DGdecNV this parameter gets lost, i.e. it is neither kept in the .dgi nor in the elementary video stream.
Would it be possible to include it at the end of the .dgi (similar to the resolution) ?
Mobile phone video clips can be taken in portrait or landscape (at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees). Preserving the correct orientation is essential for re-encoding to avoid turned and flipped pictures (I think).
You can't tell what the required rotation is just by looking at the video? I'm reluctant to add container specific data to the DGI file.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 am
Sharc wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:47 am
Hi Donald
You can't tell what the required rotation is just by looking at the video? I'm reluctant to add container specific data to the DGI file.
Yes, I can always look at the video of course. However, when I want to automate the process it would be useful to have the the value automatically extracted.
I understand your reluctance though, so maybe I should better extract that value outside of DGindex; perhaps with MediaInfo or similar.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

One little cosmetic: don't make the black borders appear again after closing the cropping window AND the script export is selected.
admin

Post by admin »

Guest 2 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am
One little cosmetic: don't make the black borders appear again after closing the cropping window AND the script export is selected.
Oops, I screwed up your post by hitting edit instead of quote. Sorry. Feel free to edit it back to the original.

Thanks for the new suggestion. I'll do it for next slipstream.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

admin wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:41 am
Oops, I screwed up your post by hitting edit instead of quote. Sorry. Feel free to edit it back to the original.
There were only some congratulations for the good job you do every time.

Hint: add a "thank" button for posts we would like to thank. Dunno if technically possible for phpBB.
DAE avatar
Nginx

Post by Nginx »

Hi. I haven't tested our latest release but may I ask how the cropping tool handle border % 2 != 0 ?
( Personally speaking, it should not be over-cropped? )