Feature Requests

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
Kapisketo

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Kapisketo »

Feature request: Hints for colormatrix
Sorry, I'm not English. I know that my English sucks.
admin

Post by admin »

It's already implemented for MPEG2. I'll add it for AVC and VC1 also.
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

I imagine it's already on the Master List (since I've mentioned it on Doom9, with a positive response), but I'm hoping we'll eventually see indexing support for Microsoft's DVR-MS and WTV formats.

I can supply sample streams if/when it's necessary.

From what I've read so far, VideoReDo is the current go-to tool for parsing these formats, but the output streams still need to be indexed. VRD TV Suite (which I understand is needed for WTV+h264 support) is also $95-ish. Not that I begrudge anyone fair compensation for their work, but if possible and for that kind of money, I'd rather have a one-stop indexing tool (with superior support)!
admin

Post by admin »

It's all a matter of priorities. MP4 containers are at the top right now due to some commercial work I am doing for a corporation.

After that we have:

MPEG1 video
DVR-MS container
WTV container
PVA container/video
VDR container/video

When MP4 is done, negotiation can begin on priorities for the remaining ones.
DAE avatar
nautilus7

Post by nautilus7 »

Don, any news on the video info displaying we discussed in the previous page?

Thanks.
admin

Post by admin »

No news. It's all about priorities. I just did a big bunch of work on DGDecNV. I'm taking a short break to finish up a physics paper I am writing. When that's done, the features requested in this thread will be on the agenda, including yours.
DAE avatar
nautilus7

Post by nautilus7 »

Ok, no rush. It's just because you didn't say "yes" or "no" about my request. That's why I asked again. ;)
Karyudo

Post by Karyudo »

neuron2 wrote:It's all a matter of priorities. [...] When MP4 is done, negotiation can begin on priorities for the remaining ones.
I'll post this now, but you can read it when MP4 is done... ;)

The order I'd like to see is:
WTV
DVR-MS
PVA
VDR
MPEG1

My reasoning is:

• WTV is the default format from Window 7 Media Center, so the volume of video in this format is going up all the time. Selfishly, this would help me out the most, because I'm using 7MC, and my volume of recorded video in this format is going up all the time!

• DVR-MS is the default format from previous Media Centers (without the TV pack) and, while the format is no longer Microsoft's default, the installed base suggests this isn't going away any time soon.

• PVA and VDR I have never come across myself, and had to look them up. PVA looks to be used by FTA satellite cap cards, and Wikipedia says VDR is a format originating from Linux. So surely even if their use is growing, it's not growing as fast as WTV, or maybe even DVR-MS?

• Really? People still use MPEG-1? Is this just being added for completion?

In the meantime, I've got more than enough little projects to finish for which the current DGDecNV is perfectly suitable, so this is not meant as a prod. Just food for thought...
DAE avatar
krosswindz

Post by krosswindz »

I have an issue where for some files DGNVtools reports this error at the end of the m2ts file. It has actually coded all the frames but still this error. When I load multiple files to create a single file it stops when it encounters this error at the end of any of the intermediate m2ts file even if you hit either of yes/no/cancel. The error window:

I was wondering if an option could be given which lets the user continue with the creation of the file.
admin

Post by admin »

Probably the video PID changes between files. I don't have any plans to support that. You'd have to make separate projects.

If that is not the cause, please start a new thread and post a link to two files that cause this when loaded.
DAE avatar
krosswindz

Post by krosswindz »

The PIDs are the same, any tool to just cut the last 100MB of the m2ts file. If I use tsmuxer to actually do the cut I dont get the same error. Using DGSplit to split a 20 GB stream is something I am trying to avoid.
admin

Post by admin »

You can use segment mode of DGSplit. You'll only have to write the sizes of the segments you select. Anyway, this is not a feature request. Make a separate thread if you want to continue it.
DAE avatar
HeadlessCow

Post by HeadlessCow »

lev wrote:I'm still interested in the ability to specify a video card (especially as a RDP workaround). :D

I see you've added this in one of the recent builds, but just in case you didn't realize (or couldn't test), it still doesn't work via RDP. Functionality via RDP is pretty much the only feature I care about right now so I didn't want it to drop off your list if you thought it was resolved now :)
admin

Post by admin »

I don't even know what RDP is, so if you want this you'll have to tell me:

a) what is RDP?
b) what is the proposed workaround for it?
c) how would I implement and test that?

If it's remote desktop you are talking about, I remind you that running remote desktop deinstantiates the video driver and that the video driver is required to use CUVID. You should use the known functioning alternatives to remote desktop.
DAE avatar
mastrboy

Post by mastrboy »

Feature requests:
- Crop in increments of 2x pixels instead of the current limit at 4x (I have a DVD series with a ugly 2pixel top bar)
- Bring back a hotkey for "Close" as in DGIndex (F3 in DGIndex was hotkeyed to close, but now that is Step)
DAE avatar
HeadlessCow

Post by HeadlessCow »

neuron2 wrote:I don't even know what RDP is, so if you want this you'll have to tell me:

a) what is RDP?
b) what is the proposed workaround for it?
c) how would I implement and test that?

If it's remote desktop you are talking about, I remind you that running remote desktop deinstantiates the video driver and that the video driver is required to use CUVID. You should use the known functioning alternatives to remote desktop.
RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol. So I guess that answers my question :) I had hoped there was some way to still access the hardware even though the graphics drivers was unloaded in that session, but if it's not then I'll have to live without it.
admin

Post by admin »

As I said there are other remote access methods that do not disable the video driver. I forget which one people were recommending.
admin

Post by admin »

mastrboy wrote:Feature requests:
- Crop in increments of 2x pixels instead of the current limit at 4x (I have a DVD series with a ugly 2pixel top bar)
- Bring back a hotkey for "Close" as in DGIndex (F3 in DGIndex was hotkeyed to close, but now that is Step)
I've implemented both of these. They will be in the next release. Thank you for the suggestions.
DAE avatar
Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 »

neuron2 wrote:As I said there are other remote access methods that do not disable the video driver. I forget which one people were recommending.
Logmein (free), Remotely Anywhere (paid), ThinVNC (free, very interesting product, HTML5 based).

Uh, I almost forgot: up RDP (as feature suggestion)
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

I think this might of been requested before but I cannot find any mention of it.

Can a De Blocking function be added? Preferably GPU assisted. Without the normal in look deblocking being done, much of the low bitrate HDTV broadcasts look quite poor. Currently it means using separate filters.

DGDecode has deblocking so can a de-blocking function/feature be added to DGDecNV?

I don't understand why this isn't already done because it would seem a necessary feature with AVC usually using it.
admin

Post by admin »

It's certainly possible but what do you mean by this:

"Without the normal in loop deblocking being done..."
DAE avatar
RedDwarf

Post by RedDwarf »

neuron2 wrote:It's certainly possible but what do you mean by this:

"Without the normal in loop deblocking being done..."
It was what I remember H264 calling the de-blocking, but I might of got it wrong.

Basically when a video is played in a Media Player, de-blocking gets done according to the amount the AVC video says should be done. As far as I am aware DGDecNV doesn't do any, or at least from what I have seen it doesn't appear to do any. If the AVC video expects de-blocking to be done when the video is displayed, to me it doesn't seem right to not do it. In effect, the returned video isn't as it was meant to be.

For some video that might not be a problem. But for others such as the fairly low bitrate video used for HDTV in the UK, which is typically a 10 Mbit transport stream with 1440x1088 resolution giving just over 9Mbit for video. It means quite noticeable blocks where any movement occurs when de-blocking isn't done. The blocks aren't practically unnoticeable when normally de-blocked during playback in a media player.

It would be nice to have the video which is returned to be as it was meant to be displayed, rather than having to use separate de-blocking filters in addition.
DAE avatar
Didée

Post by Didée »

The deblocking is performed. As you noted (with slight misspelling), H.264 is doing "in-loop deblocking". That means that deblocking is not done "after the fact" like you do when e.g. playing back Xvid videos. In H.264, the deblocking is an essential "inner" process of both encoding and decoding. If deblocking would not be done (it is possible to switch off), then you'd get an all-corrupted output.

So you don't need an option to switch it on. Be assured, it already IS on.;) - (Perhaps you could have an option to switch it *off*, but you don't really want that, anyway.)

However, with TV transmissions it is quite possible that they used too weak inloop deblocking from the start, or even had it switched off from the start. (In case of doubt, you can expect all kind of silly-ness from TV stations.) In such a case, the video stream can exhibit blocking problems indeed, and further postprocessing might be necessary. (For such sources, the Deblock() filter as found e.g. in dgdecode.dll, is appropriate. It uses the basic deblocking mechanisms of H.264 deblocking.)
admin

Post by admin »

I concur with everything Didée said regarding DGDecNV deblocking. (I'd use the built-in deblocking (cpu option) of DGDecode in preference to Deblock(), but if that is not strong enough a dose of Deblock() can be added. That's neither here nor there for the subject of this thread, however.)

RedDwarf, if you have any evidence that DGDecNV is not performing deblocking correctly, please present it.
DAE avatar
Didée

Post by Didée »

Still, shouldn't it be considered to add some sort of deblocking to DGDecodeNV ? In particular for Mpeg-2 sources. Fact is, the white bearded man DGDecode can do quantiser-adaptive deblocking on mpeg-1/2, but the young guy DGDecodeNV can do not. One could argue this is a regression. :)