[RESOLVED] double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo or QTGMC

Support forum for DGDecNV
hydra3333

[RESOLVED] double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo or QTGMC

Post by hydra3333 »

In Australia, we mostly have mpeg2 interlaced 576i, or one of the short 1080i's and they're usually blocky.

I don't know much at all about interalcing, but I am very interested in ensuring my TV captures are re-encoded into mp4 and appear the best they can (they are of high-speed sports action on a large grassy arena with lots of detail and horizontal fast camera panning and close-ups and back to panning)

At the moment I'm
- correcting .TS capture issues using VideoReDo's QSF which converts from .TS to .MPG
- opening in avisynth 2.5.7MT using the old non-NV-DG or the new-NV-DG (depending, occasionally the NV crashes on me whereas the old doesn't)
- using slowest settings of QTGMC to deinterlace to double-framerate progressive and suppress LED-display uglies (that are on billboards around the sports ground), then deblock and sharpen,
- then re-interlacing and encoding to interlaced TFF mp4 using X264 (that's what my playback devices best expect)

I see in the doco that DGDecNV uses Nvidia's "purevideo" which is now up to v6 which i guess is installed as a part of the downloaded driver from nvidia.
Deinterlace: 0/1/2 (default: 0)
Nvidia PureVideo Deinterlacer
0: no deinterlacing
1: single rate deinterlacing
2: double rate deinterlacing (bobbing)

I am wondering - your views on relative quality of double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo vs QTGMC, in that context ?
I could and will try to compare for myself but value your input first.

I'm buying a 750ti so the bottom line is, I'm trying to decide whether to stick with my current method (with circa 6fps), and move to full DGDecNV deinterlacing instead.
I really do like it here.
admin

Re: double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo or QTGMC

Post by admin »

hydra3333 wrote: - opening in avisynth 2.5.7MT using the old non-NV-DG or the new-NV-DG (depending, occasionally the NV crashes on me whereas the old doesn't)
DGDecNV shouldn't crash and I would want to fix that ASAP. Can you tell me more or give me a stream so I can duplicate your crash?
I am wondering - your views on relative quality of double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo vs QTGMC, in that context? I could and will try to compare for myself but value your input first.
Personally, I haven't done any systematic comparison. For my swimming videos, which are also sports action, I'm very happy with the Purevideo results and they are performed very fast compared to QTGMC. But clearly QTGMC at high settings will do better. It's really up to you to decide if the improvement justifies the much longer encode time.
I'm buying a 750ti so the bottom line is, I'm trying to decide whether to stick with my current method (with circa 6fps), and move to full DGDecNV deinterlacing instead.
You will see a substantial gain from replacing QTGMC with Purevideo. If you'd like to post a typical sample of your challenging material, I can show you a comparison.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

neuron2 wrote:DGDecNV shouldn't crash and I would want to fix that ASAP. Can you tell me more or give me a stream so I can duplicate your crash?
Unfortunately it's a non-repeatable symptom. Occasionally it does it, say 70% through a 4gb input file, then I re-run it and it works just fine. It could even be an avisynth plugin, although it never occurs with the old vanilla DG compile from Hank. If you have a debug version, I'd be happy to run it until it occurs again and post the log. As a fortran programmer from the 70's, I well appreciate chasing these types of issues :)
neuron2 wrote:I'm very happy with the Purevideo results and they are performed very fast compared to QTGMC. But clearly QTGMC at high settings will do better. It's really up to you to decide if the improvement justifies the much longer encode time. You will see a substantial gain from replacing QTGMC with Purevideo. If you'd like to post a typical sample of your challenging material, I can show you a comparison.
OK ! Beaut, sounds promising. If my team wins this week, I'll test it during the week, if they don't then it'll be the following week or the next time they win ;) Could be a longish stretch, they're not going all that well...
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

I also would be inclined to have a look at your MT stuff. It is notoriouusly unreliable.
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] double framerate deinterlacing using DGDegNV/purevideo or QTGMC

Post by admin »

Marking resolved as OP has disappeared.