[RESOLVED] Any gain in going from VP5 to VP6?

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
renols

[RESOLVED] Any gain in going from VP5 to VP6?

Post by renols »

Hi.

I have doubts wether or not I will see any substansial gain, by upgrading my current GTS450 (VP5) to a GTX750Ti (VP6).

My objective it to get faster encoding speed. Does the VP engine even have anything to say about that, or are we talking raw proccessing power when it comes to encoding?

I have an Intel 2700K running at 3,5 GHz, and 4,1 GHZ when in turbo mode. System is running W7 64bit and has 8 GB of RAM. The disk system is sata-600 ordinary sata-600 HDD.

If the change from VP5 to VP6 will only have influence on the decoding speed, I guess it isn't worth it. Wether it takes 3 or 5 minutes to index a bluray movie, doesn't matter much :-)

Thanks in advance.
admin

Re: Any gain in going from VP5 to VP6?

Post by admin »

One possible advantage in your case might be faster deinterlacing, although I can't vouch for it because I do not have a VP6 yet.

Also, random access speed will be almost doubled. So if you have use cases where random access is important, or even when moving around on the timeline with your script opened in VirtualDub, you'll see a significant improvement, especially for streams with large GOPs.