[RESOLVED] WinXP support dropped?

Support forum for DGDecNV
admin

Re: WinXP support dropped?

Post by admin »

I didn't intentionally kill XP, I just no longer have an XP test machine. So if you'd like to help, please re-download 2047 from my site and re-test it. Thank you.
admin

Re: WinXP support dropped?

Post by admin »

You're welcome and thank you for your testing and for pointing it out.

Win XP lives! :agree:
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] WinXP support dropped?

Post by admin »

I find 8/8.1 to be fine on my desktop machine. I bypass the Metro and boot straight to the desktop. I also use ClassicShell, which gives a Win7 look and feel.

Although I will always try to continue supporting WinXP, I personally don't use WinXP anymore, due to the dropping of support/updates from Microsoft.
admin

Post by admin »

I found an interesting issue regarding XP support.

If I build targeting XP (using Platform Toolset v120_xp) I see problems with window metrics running on Win8.1 (I haven't tried on Win7 or XP -- maybe someone can report on that using 2048). For example, if you set the window position to 0,0 in the INI file and then start DGIndexNV, it starts a little too high and left. Or, when you open a file and hit F5, the Info dialog is too far left and covers the main window border. The issues I found are cosmetic so far, but they all go away when I build without targeting XP (vs120).

So, rhetorical question... Shouldn't we at some point drop support for XP, as it will likely accumulate more and more such kludges going forward?
admin

Post by admin »

Oh, well then, calling it rhetorical was rhetorical. Good enough? :P

One possibility is to support XP only until it seriously breaks things on later OS's. Also possible at that point would be to provide two builds. We can cross that bridge when we get there.

BTW, I have a registry hack on Win8.1 to reduce the border width to XP style widths, and that mitigates this issue for me. Those fat borders look ugly anyways.

This makes it a cinch with no logoff/logon:

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.96