[RESOLVED] File dialog crashes with Win 8.1

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
qupfer

[RESOLVED] File dialog crashes with Win 8.1

Post by qupfer »

Hi, today I downloaded the new 2047 from http://rationalqm.us/dgdecnv/binaries/.
I also run in the Crashing-Problem. (It alway crashed, if the "file select dialog" opened a second time. For example: Load File --> Save --> Crash or Load File --> Cancel --> Load File --> Crash and so on)

But because I planned since a few days to reinstall my windows, I did this spontaneously :mrgreen:

After re-install, it looks like it does not crash anymore, but the Machine-ID changed.
It's not a real problem at the moment, becaue I can create enough.
But if the id will always change after a new install, I will get sometimes in trouble :D

I'm also wondering. If my "old" (before reinstall windows, but a new 4047 one) ID looks like
X-XX-XXXXX my new one looks like:
X-YY-XXXXX

Of course, It could be a coincidence but looks like that it should be normally the same, and on my PC some small issue occours. Maybe because the mac-adresses of my vpn-adapter changed or something like that.

So, my question is simple.
Can anyone tell me, what "informations" are used for the machine-id, so that I can save them the next time? Thanks
admin

Re: Saving and Restoring Machine-ID after reinstalling windows?

Post by admin »

Well, I won't tell you what I use for the machine ID. I can tell you that it doesn't use any networking stuff anymore.

But you will never run out of licenses, because I will reset you to 0 if needed, as long as you are a registered user.

Is everything OK for you now? What OS do you run? After you re-installed, did you do all pending updates from Windows Update?
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

admin wrote: But you will never run out of licenses, because I will reset you to 0 if needed, as long as you are a registered user.
That sounds nice
admin wrote: Is everything OK for you now? What OS do you run? After you re-installed, did you do all pending updates from Windows Update?
Unfortunately not. After dowloading and installing (nearly) all updates and drivers, the save-crash-error occurs again. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
But its a bit different. For reinstalling, I saw always the "DGindex is not running anymore" error message (not sure what the original english sentence is, but you surely know, what message I mean)
Now, this message only apears if a Video is loaded and I try to safe. If no video is loaded (for example by clicking cancel) and I open the file dialog for a second time, DGindex is closing directly.

Edit: I can't find a thread about the save-crash-bug? Is there one or should I create one?
admin

Post by admin »

We can continue here.

What is the modified date on DGIndexNV.exe?

What directory do you try to save to?
admin

Post by admin »

This appears to be a widespread problem with Win 8.1. See here for example:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/5772428

I am continuing to investigate with a view to at least finding a viable workaround.
admin

Post by admin »

First, put this in a .reg file and import it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
"{289AF617-1CC3-42A6-926C-E6A863F0E3BA}"=""

If that doesn't help...

It's some third-party software screwing things up. Let's try this to figure out which one:

-----
please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.li ... r_full.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it. If you can't do this, run regedit.exe and import the registry file there!

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the dump file (compressed 7z or RAR to reduce the size) somewhere and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Shell extension is the cause.

After you generated the dumps, download and import this regfile:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.li ... nstall.reg

to stop the dump creation.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
[2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... d865088d65
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

admin wrote: I am continuing to investigate with a view to at least finding a viable workaround.
Thank for your help.

I reset my windows again (ID are the same^^) and check dgindexnv. All okay. Just install Windows-Updates, not anything else. DGindex is broken. So, Microsoft changed something, that makes trouble.

Okay, I download and import the first reg-file. And know, it doesn't crash anymore. So I can't upload the dumpfile ;)
After that, I download the "Uninstaller Reg-File" and know it crashs again :lol:
admin

Post by admin »

If you have ClassicShell installed you need version 3.9.5 or later under 8.1.

I'm just going to list all possibilities people have run into. :D
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

No, I havn't classic shell or something like that.
Dropbox, Evernote, Miranda portable, chrome, keepass, filezilla, notepad++ are installed, but I installed all of them after DGindex crashed.
That I did was to move Documents, Music, Donloads etc. from c:\Users.... to d:\Users...

But yes, the reg-file is a working workaround. So can watch happily the last minutes of Brazil vs. Germany ;)
admin

Post by admin »

qupfer wrote:Okay, I download and import the first reg-file. And know, it doesn't crash anymore. So I can't upload the dumpfile ;)
After that, I download the "Uninstaller Reg-File" and know it crashs again :lol:
Leave it installed until we get to the bottom of it.
admin

Re: File dialog crashes with Win 8.1

Post by admin »

Exactly which reg file seems to fix it? This one?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
"{289AF617-1CC3-42A6-926C-E6A863F0E3BA}"=""
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

okay, I give it up for today. It's not working anymore and a Dump is also not created. (I would say its because not the explorer.exe crash? http://07q.de/dgcrash.png )
The Registires Entries are definitely included. Checked it manually.

But have a lot of thanks anyway.

Edit:
This was, that helped temporary:
http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.li ... r_full.reg

The (realy) first one i didn't see and will try now. :oops:
Edit: no, doesn't help. Good Night. ;) (night canceld. "we" won 7:1^^)
admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks very much. I will continue researching this and how we might debug it. If only it would happen for me!

I would like to know the path of that save directory and if you have Unicode enabled or any Unicode in your path name.
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

admin wrote: I would like to know the path of that save directory and if you have Unicode enabled or any Unicode in your path name.
Okay, a last post :lol:

The origin path was "e:\convert\temp\Mel Brooks Spaceballs_cut.ts" (looks okay for me, no Umaluts or other german nonsense) and I also moved the file to e:\ and renamed it to test.ts. Doesn't change anything.
I'm not sure if unicode is enabled, but I thought its default. So I would say yes, its enabled.
admin

Post by admin »

Oy.

If you open that folder using an Explorer window, are there any network locations listed on the left when the dialog opens? Skydrive?

Any unresolved thumbnails, etc.? Maybe you can make a screenshot of it for me.
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

admin wrote: are there any network locations listed on the left when the dialog opens? Skydrive?
[...] Maybe you can make a screenshot of it for me.
Yes, Yes and Yes
http://07q.de/screen.png
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks very much. I think we may be getting somewhere now.

If you are willing, we need to try disabling network sharing first. Then removing the display of Skydrive stuff. Not as a fix, but just to see what the cause is.

Go to bed if it's late, we can continue tomorrow.
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

at the moment it wokrs again :wow:

I didn't do anything.

Disabling Network sharing is no problem, but I have no Idea how to disable showing the skydrive stuff. But as long it will work, I don't touch it.

Maybe displaying the SkyDrive and/or networklist helped. I will make more tests tomorrow. Now I must visit my neighbor. 7:1 :D
admin

Post by admin »

The theory is you have a disconnected network location or an invalid SkyDrive item. We can investigate more tomorrow. First, when it starts failing again, disable network sharing. If it doesn't help I will tell you how to remove the SkyDrive stuff (not permanently of course).

Thanks again for your patience and willingness to help with this.
admin

Post by admin »

How to remove SkyDrive:

http://www.howtogeek.com/167058/how-to- ... ndows-8.1/

First we can try just the second reg hack, that removes its display from Explorer. See the section "Remove from the Explorer Side Panel".
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

Hi,

I simple moved all files from SkyDrive to an external folder. Loged In to the SkyDrive Webinterface and verifyed, that nothing in. Reboot and since then, I have no crashes anymore. :D
I hope that's it. So, have a lot of thanks.

Now I will fill SkyDrive very carefully. :mrgreen:
admin

Post by admin »

Or:

1. ************************

Don't login with a Microsoft account to disable SkyDrive (may be called OneDrive also)

or

2. ************************

You use a group policy to disable SkyDrive.

All you need to do is to run gpedit.msc and go to the following path:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\SkyDrive

Enable the “Prevent the usage of SkyDrive for file storage” policy setting and wait a couple of minutes.

You won’t be able to access your SkyDrive files from the SkyDrive app. The SkyDrive node will go away from the Explorer left navigation pane and File syncing will stop.

You can also do the following:

Press Windows key + I
Click Change PC Settings
Click Skydrive (or OneDrive)
Click Files

Under 'Save files by default to Skydrive'

Drag the knob to the left to turn it off
admin

Post by admin »

Others say to just disable SkyDrive icon overlays:

Ok, this is a solution that I found (as I had a hunch that those green overlay icons shell extension in Skydrive are causing problems).

Tested on Windows 7 – 64 Bit, after Skydrive was installed

1) Start regedit (start -> run -> type “regedit” -> hit enter)
2) Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers
3) In the left panel you should see 3 SkyDrive keys (1, 2 and 3) as shown here http://i.imgur.com/HomY0.png
4) Delete all 3 of them
5) Reboot
6) Enjoy both Skydrive and Second Life working at the same time
DAE avatar
qupfer

Post by qupfer »

Thanks a lot for your help. But the entry showd in this picture (http://i.imgur.com/HomY0.png) doesn't exist on (my) Win 8.1.
But that does not matter. With clean up myS kyDrive (or OneDrive) Folder, it doesn't crash anymore. Okay, to be exactyl. Sometimes it will crash anymore. But with open/expand the SkyDrive folder, I can use dgindexnv in the usual way. So, it's enough for me.
If I found some informativ informations, i will post. But for now, I will live with the situation, because it woks :D

But again. Have a lot of thanks. The "tip" (is it also a english word?) with SkyDrive was excellent.
admin

Post by admin »

Crashes like these have been reported as resolved by recent windows updates and I therefore mark it RESOLVED.