[RESOLVED] Need access to DGDecNV Build 2041

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
robbinsan

[RESOLVED] Need access to DGDecNV Build 2041

Post by robbinsan »

I purchased a license for DGDecNV and downloaded Build 2048 only to discover that I actually require Build 2041 due to the CUDA 3.1 compatibility issue. Can someone tell me how I can access Build 2041? It is not in the Binaries folder.

Thanks!
admin

Re: Need access to DGDecNV Build 2041

Post by admin »

Hello Tony. I have added it to the binaries folder. Please let me know if you run into any issues I can help you with.

I want to thank you for your service to humanity through your work with the ACS and elsewhere.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Re: Need "balanced" access to DGDecNV Build 2041

Post by TCmullet »

I've successfully obtained 1 license. Now I'm ready to obtain a couple more as I have additional machine to crank up. However one of them has most current Cuda driver of only 5.x So I need to use the version 2041. Yes, I see it in the binaries area. My question is this: Should I install on the target machine just 2041, or should I install the latest (2049) and then pick SOME files from 2041 and overlay them over the equivalent files in 2049? (Or maybe the converse, install 2041 and overlay some of the files from 2049?)
admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Need access to DGDecNV Build 2041

Post by admin »

I don't advise mixing and matching files from different versions. It's likely to break something.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

admin wrote:I don't advise mixing and matching files from different versions. It's likely to break something.
Hmmm... I had thought maybe the Cuda 6.5 stuff was localized and in a way that you would instantly know where.

Okay, then there's still another question I was going to ask. (This is pretty important to the operation I want to begin.) I want to index an M2TS and build my script on a Cuda 6.5 system. But then I want to move the .M2TS file, the .dgi file, and my script over to a Cuda 5 system (DGDecNV 2041) to do a full run/encode. Will there be any problems with the 2041 system accepting and processing the .dgi file that was created under the 2049 system??
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet wrote:Okay, then there's still another question I was going to ask. (This is pretty important to the operation I want to begin.) I want to index an M2TS and build my script on a Cuda 6.5 system. But then I want to move the .M2TS file, the .dgi file, and my script over to a Cuda 5 system (DGDecNV 2041) to do a full run/encode. Will there be any problems with the 2041 system accepting and processing the .dgi file that was created under the 2049 system??
First there is no such thing as a "CUDA 6.5 system". Without getting into nitpicking, I assume you mean a system that has an adapter that is one of the new architectures supported by CUDA 6.5.

I don't think there were any significant changes to the DGI file format between 2041 and 2049 so it may be OK to do what you want. You'll need to test it though.
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

I was trying to keep it simple. If your versions since 2041 require Cuda version 6.5 or better, then it's a brief way to allude to that to say "my system (meaning the cuda portion of the video adapter in my system) is a Cuda 5 system" for example.

Thanks for the tips. I did try but it failed right away (I can redo it to write down the error message(s) if you wish.) I had figured at worst case, I would simply have to delete the .dgi file run the 2041 DGIndexNV again, but on the "cuda 5" system (the one with 2041). When I did, it worked fine.
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet wrote:I was trying to keep it simple. If your versions since 2041 require Cuda version 6.5 or better, then it's a brief way to allude to that to say "my system (meaning the cuda portion of the video adapter in my system) is a Cuda 5 system" for example.
OK, it's not my preferred terminology but it is clear enough.
Thanks for the tips. I did try but it failed right away (I can redo it to write down the error message(s) if you wish.) I had figured at worst case, I would simply have to delete the .dgi file run the 2041 DGIndexNV again, but on the "cuda 5" system (the one with 2041). When I did, it worked fine.
So, what I told you about not trying to mix and match versions was good advice? :o
DAE avatar
TCmullet

Post by TCmullet »

This was not mixing parts of different versions of a software (which is what my first question was). This was (my second question) taking data CREATED BY one version (.dgi file and .ac3 file) and using it in a different one. Which is a very different matter. It would have been possible for the .dgi output from 2041 to be identical to the one output from 2049.

I've done two tests, albeit not thorough.

First time I tried to use the dgi from 2049 in the 2041 environment, I scrubbed a bit and it "blew up". Vdub screen turned green and a strange short message appeared at top left of left pane. Sorry I didn't write down the details. I was eager to go forward. I deleted the dgi and ran DGindexNV again, but from the current environment, 2041.

On a second project, I tried a bit more cautiously so as to observe any blowup and under what circumstances it happened. No scrubbing, just single-frame forward a few times. First frame took a LONG time, but then seemed to speed up with each of several more frames. I started the Vdub run. After a few minutes I cancelled it, suspecting it may have been running 20% or more slower than I might expect. I again deleted the dgi and ran Index on the target machine (2041 with Cuda 5).

It could be working fine, but I'm going to play it safe and run 2041-DGindexNV each time I migrate a file (M2TS) and script (AVS) over to this cuda 5 system, a laptop. (I am months behind on a project of several hundred videos, and I'd rather play things safe. Building the new 2041 index doesn't take objectionably long.)
admin

Post by admin »

TCmullet wrote:This was not mixing parts of different versions of a software (which is what my first question was). This was (my second question) taking data CREATED BY one version (.dgi file and .ac3 file) and using it in a different one. Which is a very different matter. It would have been possible for the .dgi output from 2041 to be identical to the one output from 2049.
That's a distinction without a difference. You made an index with 2049 DGIndexNV and tried to serve it with 2041 DGDecodeNV. That is mixing versions. Yes, there could be cases where the DGI files would be the same. It seems to me that you can diff the two and discover why they are incompatible. It's just not that interesting to me.

Good luck with your projects.